The Plaza

Tim3167

Thanks for the pictures. Just a question:

Are the developers going to do anything with the area just above the Plaza's front awning? It just looks so, well, unfinished. It's really jarring to see the plain concrete and what looks like bar-covered openings right in the middle of the Plaza's main entrance.

Edited by FLClarkKent

Speaking of the "punch-list". Has anyone else noticed that the front awning has a bend in the metal on the left side?? not sure how to describe it, basically one of the corrogated metal supports that holds the awning roof is crushed and bent. i notice it everytime i walk by hoping it's fixed, but never is. guess they didnt make it that far down the punch-list yet. :mellow:

Edited by pip

^That is a ridiculous thing to say.

why, b/c it's a ridiculous notion that he would do it, or b/c it is ridiculous for him to do it?

look, I've met the guy. he seems alright. I've seen him prancing around DT with his double earings and that's all well and good, but when you talk with business persons who have had to deal with him directly, it's a completely different story. PTP's garage is a joke. I support the project... I'm in it for Cripe's sake, but until they face that garage with something other than that cheap coat of non-stucco/precast, they will get nothing but my scorn. Just look at the views of PTP taken from Vue in that other thread... the garage looks horrible. One Orlando Centre's parking deck's exterior, by comparison blows PTP's garage away.

BTW, I thought the City was leaning on him to face the exterior anyway.

Unless you look close you can't really tell it's just painted....I don't think it looks as bad as I thought it would..

they should have made it a darker color. now, it sticks out too much. if they would've made it that brown tint instead, I think it would disappear into the skyline. BTW, I think Solaire's paint is also too light. that should've been darker as well.

This place pissed me off yesterday. I go and get a burrito from the new place on Church St. called Pancheros. I walk to the Plaza to eat and I sit down along one of the planters and security tells me that no one is allowed to sit in the plaza. I thought this was supposed to be an open space for people to congregate. There is no sign saying NO TRESPASSING, which is basically what they were enforcing. I can understand if I was trying to go upstairs and snoop around the theatre area or something, but just sitting down was not allowed.

Went up to Stirling Sotheby's new digs in the North Tower yesterday, in between showings at Solaire. The place is coming together nicely. Plasma's everywhere, coffee/Latte'/Wine Bar on the west side overlooking orange ave with a great 16th floor view, the deck facing solaire was very impressive and large with a perfect downtown view towards lake eola.

Isn't that area still underconstruction?

If it was officially under construction, the sidewalk wouldn't be open and noone without a hard hat would be allowed in there. There would be a clearly visible sign that states that it is a felony to trespass. None of these conditions exist. The inside isn't completely built out yet, but the outside of the building is open.

This place pissed me off yesterday. I go and get a burrito from the new place on Church St. called Pancheros. I walk to the Plaza to eat and I sit down along one of the planters and security tells me that no one is allowed to sit in the plaza. I thought this was supposed to be an open space for people to congregate. There is no sign saying NO TRESPASSING, which is basically what they were enforcing. I can understand if I was trying to go upstairs and snoop around the theatre area or something, but just sitting down was not allowed.

Not surprising coming from the land where its illegal to feed homeless people.

Not surprising coming from the land where its illegal to feed homeless people.

I have no problem with people wanting to feed the homeless... but stop doing it in my back yard! Use a I-4 underpass or find a sponsor Church. Feeding the homeless in Lake Eola does nothing more than draw them into the surrounding neighborhood.

I have no problem with people wanting to feed the homeless... but stop doing it in my back yard! Use a I-4 underpass or find a sponsor Church. Feeding the homeless in Lake Eola does nothing more than draw them into the surrounding neighborhood.

I understand what you are saying, but I have been downtown for over a decade and the homeless have been populating Lake Eola since long before they started feeding them there.

Edited by bulldogger

I understand what you are saying, but I have been downtown for over a decade and the homeless have been populating Lake Eola since long before they started feeding them there.

I understand what you are saying, but I don't think who got there first is at play here. I am definitely all for caring for the less fortunate and that includes feeding those in need. However, it doesn't make sense to make the gathering point the same place as you are trying to get mommies and daddies to bring their children for safe family fun. So why not designate an area away from the park where you have no intention of bringing kiddies. It shouldn't be "under a bridge" like someone said but it should have distance from where you are also trying to attract families.

I understand what you are saying, but I don't think who got there first is at play here.

That's not what I'm saying. I am telling you that the homeless people enjoy being at the park just as much as I do, regardless of whether they are being fed there.

At the same time, I see plenty of homeless that go to the park, get fed, and walk straight back to the CBD and Parramore as soon as they are done eating.

Why are homeless people bad for families? If we are so worried about families near the park, shouldn't all of the outdoor eateries ban liquor sale within 1000 ft. of the playground? Isn't that worse for children to see and learn? Perhaps smoking cigarettes should be banned near the playground at Lake Eola, too.

No, what you are telling us is that people that small bad or that haven't shaven today or that don't have matching clothes shouldn't be near families. That makes sense.

-----------------------------

And OrlandoNative, you are close to be spot-on regarding the hardhat. I went by today and all the workers building out Flats were in the plaza eating their lunch (unbothered of course).

Edited by bulldogger

That's not what I'm saying. I am telling you that the homeless people enjoy being at the park just as much as I do, regardless of whether they are being fed there.

At the same time, I see plenty of homeless that go to the park, get fed, and walk straight back to the CBD and Parramore as soon as they are done eating.

Why are homeless people bad for families? If we are so worried about families near the park, shouldn't all of the outdoor eateries ban liquor sale within 1000 ft. of the playground? Isn't that worse for children to see and learn? Perhaps smoking cigarettes should be banned near the playground at Lake Eola, too.

No, what you are telling us is that people that small bad or that haven't shaven today or that don't have matching clothes shouldn't be near families. That makes sense.

-----------------------------

And OrlandoNative, you are close to be spot-on regarding the hardhat. I went by today and all the workers building out Flats were in the plaza eating their lunch (unbothered of course).

In any community, there is what is known as the "tipping point" where one group of people feels overwhelmed and not welcome, and they leave. If we want downtown to thrive, we cannot go past that tipping point with the transients. I lived downtown when we were past that point in the 70's and '80's, and as a 5th-generation native (so I suppose I can claim about as much seniority as anyone, for whatever little that might be worth), I don't want that to return.

Conversely, I don't want downtown to be Park Avenue or a gated suburban community, either. Like any community, it is a constant balancing act to achieve the type of environment that the majority of residents want. I think a lot of people wonder if using Eola as a feeding station will take us too far in one direction. Will it? I don't know. While we figure that out, it's important to note that not one person has been prevented from eating in the park. The ordinance regards distribution.

As we work to find the solution, I do have several questions. Why do the folks from organizations like Food Not Bombs refuse to work with the places like the Christian Service Center to provide food service in a more appropriate, long-term setting? For that matter, since several studies have noted there are in fact more homeless folks in various wooded areas outside downtown, why don't they go there where no one ostensibly would protest? Also, why have they been strangely quiet on the real solution which is to figure out a way to provide a 1-stop shelter with food service, showers, adequate bedding, help with social services, etc.? As usual, George Crossley and his crowd seem to be bringing more heat than light to the problem.

Now, a transient citizen has every bit as much right to be on the streets of Orlando while engaging in lawful activity (or non-activity) as I do. However, when his or her activity results in the mess such as in the vacant lot on North Eola Drive (unlike most of the FNB crowd, I live right next door), it's time to do something. The United States abandoned its cities once; I for one am not prepared to do it again. If transients choose to be in my neighborhood, they are welcome so long as they follow just a few simple rules of civilized living. Otherwise, just as I would with anyone, I will protest. As a citizen, I have a right to expect a clean, safe environment where I live and the responsibility to make sure it is provided through interaction with the government. What anyone wears or the music they listen to or whatever is not a factor - I welcome diversity within that basic framework.

Edited by spenser1058