The Plaza

Tim3167

No, what you are telling us is that people that small bad or that haven't shaven today or that don't have matching clothes shouldn't be near families. That makes sense.

Not at all! I'm not telling you that. I wouldn't ban anyone from going to, or using the park. I think homeless people have just as much right to use the park as those with homes. The park is there to provide recreation and or serenity to anyone who cares to use it (homeless or otherwise). However there is nothing wrong with regulating what additional uses it takes on. I'm suggesting that activities that are designed to attract additional homeless to an area where you are also trying to attract more families is counter productive.

Just like it's not illegal to be on parole and parole centers make sense to ease people back into society; the community doesn't put parole centers next to schools because of the increased risk they represent to the children. Or if they do the community gets up in arms and the centers get moved (not banned). While many or even most homeless are that way because of unfortunate circumstances, there is a higher percentage of mental illness and addiction, and that createsincreased risk to children and adults.

Regulating certain activities that are not consistent with the primary purpose of the park violates nobody's rights.

Edited by cwetteland

Neither does a 4 year old. Do they have rights?

Nor tourists. Guess we can't allow them downtown either.

The homeless still pay sales taxes on any purchases, and if they work, they likely still have income taxes deducted. Anyone has the option of not having a home/not paying property taxes...

At the same time, I agree that park usage needs to be regulated. But it can't be unfair. It's fine not to allow panhandling or public feeding in the park, but the homeless shouldn't be flat out banned from using the park, just as every other person in the country is entitled to.

Neither does a 4 year old. Do they have rights?

We are Way Way off topic here ... It's "The Plaza" thread. But as long as were OT then I think the OT is OT. It ain't about rights. Everybody has the right to do legal activities in the park. Housed or not, washed or not. It's about what is a legal activity. The city is charged with making sure activities in the park are consistant with the purposes of the park. It's legal to operate a gun range, but not in the park. It's legal to let your dog run around in your yard off leash, but not in the park. So the question is "should it be legal to operate a feeding station in the park?" not, "do homeless have a right to be there?" Of course they do. I don't think it's consistant with the purpose of the park because you increase risks of harm to children, just like operating a parole center, (a legal activity, next to a school increases risks to children). Others may argue that selling kettle corn on Sunday is a feeding station for those with money ... so why can't there be feeding station for those without money. They have a point too, but not one I agree with. Just drop the rights thing ... it ain't about that.

Edited by cwetteland

you guys are killing me on the homeless issue.

drunk partyers are bad for kids. homeless drunks are worse-- some of these guys are beligerant and loud; some are really drug dealers, and some of them are just panhandlers looking to get you to take out your wallet to perhaps mug you, which makes them a nuisance and borderline dangerous. lots of scumbags mixed in with genuine homeless... it is a potentially bad scene.

If I was with kids, I wouldn't take them to Lake Eola knowing that homeless are there. shoot, I'm even skittish about going to Sea World over Disney b/c of the dropoff in quality of patrons.

I feel for the homeless, but keep those mothers the hec away from me. there's a reason why I didn't drop out of school.

as for bad crowds in general, let me share this tidbit: last month, me and a buddy were 10 steps behind three female coworkers leaving Wall Street area after lunch. two guys on Central approached the girls asking them if they could jump their car battery b/c it wouldn't start. they didn't realize we were all part of the same group. when me and my buddy arrived there, the two guys backed off and were like "oh, nah, we're okay, maybe it's something else... we'll be fine..."

those f*ckers. friggin' crooks were trying to set them up for a purse napping or car jacking or something (maybe just a phone number or date... who knows).

don't trust anyone is the theme here...

last month, there was an attempted car jacking at Robinson & Rosalind. did I hear that here?

this town is full of dirtbags... homeless just make it easier for them to blend in.

Edited by JRS1

Not that the first argument is correct, but your retort doesn't make sense. You can't hold a sloppy, no good, scuzzy adult to the same standard as a sweet innocent 4 year old child. :shades:

Not that it's on topic, but I wasn't asking anyone to.

agreed!! a bunch of my friends go to both of the current locations and we cannot wait till it is downtown! and not just downtown but with a full bar!!!

I haven't heard of this cigar place before. What can I expect? I want to know if smoke filters out of this place when the doors open? Are there separate 'smoking' rooms inside that keep the smoke out of a common area? Is the bar smoke-filled?

I'll smoke sometimes, but when I'm not, I don't want to smell it. Weird, I know. If I would be going to a movie at The Plaza and smoke is billowing out of that place, I would definitely make it a point to walk in from a different side of the building.

I haven't heard of this cigar place before. What can I expect? I want to know if smoke filters out of this place when the doors open? Are there separate 'smoking' rooms inside that keep the smoke out of a common area? Is the bar smoke-filled?

I'll smoke sometimes, but when I'm not, I don't want to smell it. Weird, I know. If I would be going to a movie at The Plaza and smoke is billowing out of that place, I would definitely make it a point to walk in from a different side of the building.

There is one of these on Sand Lake road by the Publix (restaurant row). Basically, it is not very smoky at all and the entire building is one huge humidor! The place is great! I think this is perfect for downtown...

I wonder if that has anything to do with why the floor in that location isn't yet paved. As in ...bare earth.

I heard through a reliable annonymous source that the management company has boofed the approved budget for the association. I guess owners are going to have to start saving their nickels to pay a special assessment at the end of the year. It figures, they get some Georgia crackers down here to run things and they don't know Florida condo law.

Aren't they paying .50 a square foot? How much higher can they go?

It's not the square footage assessment, that's fixed till at least the end of the year. It's what they haven't included within the budget line items for capital expense (if not required to be included) that owners will ante up for.

What about the movie theater? Anybody know anything about it? We are just a few weeks away from July 4th and I don't see any evidence from the windows that this thing will open on that day...

I think the soft opening has been pushed back... don't know about the July 4 grand opening--- but Dexter's is looking real good-- went by today and they have furniture delivered-- no light fixtures yet, but a cleaning crew was cleaning the construction dust off the windows this afternoon.

I think the soft opening has been pushed back... don't know about the July 4 grand opening--- but Dexter's is looking real good-- went by today and they have furniture delivered-- no light fixtures yet, but a cleaning crew was cleaning the construction dust off the windows this afternoon.

Okay, I might have missed something, but is this like Dexter's over in Thorton Park / Winter Park? And if so, we're talking about this going into the Plaza retail? And finally, does that mean there will be TWO Dexter's downtown?

I have sent a message to monsoon about this user. Every post from him is some set of useless links meant to derail the threads. It is a shame as we generally have positive discussion and a nice little family here in the Orlando threads. I suppose we are lucky that it doesn't happen more often.