The Plaza

Tim3167

• 2 weeks later...

Is H&M under renovation too?

H&M? You don't mean H&M the clothing retailer do you?

Also --- has anyone actually confirmed that Rave will be operating the theaters? I know (Sentinel theater critic) Roger Moore blogged about that rumor in early July, but now I see this in Mike Thomas' blog:

"Also, anyone know what happened to the downtown theaters at Solaire? Word has it that the theater companies are skeptical because there isn

Also --- has anyone actually confirmed that Rave will be operating the theaters? I know (Sentinel theater critic) Roger Moore blogged about that rumor in early July, but now I see this in Mike Thomas' blog:

"Also, anyone know what happened to the downtown theaters at Solaire? Word has it that the theater companies are skeptical because there isn

good golly, how embarrassing! shows how often i look up. :unsure:

It is so funny how all of these rumors get started. I remember when the plaza/solaire was just at the beginning. The same skeptics started the same rumors that the buildings and the condo might not even go up! Well look at them now. They are truely amazing. The urban flats is generating better than expected sales and the Corona Cigar company will be huge. Slowly but, surley all the skeptics will be silenced. The plaza is and will always be the absolute best location for downtown, yes even with the parking. Also, parking tickets will be validated at the movie theatre and commercial venues for 50% off.

The old addage is true: if you build it they will come. There is a lot of pent up demand for something as modern and amazing as what is in store for downtown orlando at the plaza. Patience is a virtue. :)

It is so funny how all of these rumors get started. I remember when the plaza/solaire was just at the beginning. The same skeptics started the same rumors that the buildings and the condo might not even go up! Well look at them now. They are truely amazing. The urban flats is generating better than expected sales and the Corona Cigar company will be huge. Slowly but, surley all the skeptics will be silenced. The plaza is and will always be the absolute best location for downtown, yes even with the parking. Also, parking tickets will be validated at the movie theatre and commercial venues for 50% off.

The old addage is true: if you build it they will come. There is a lot of pent up demand for something as modern and amazing as what is in store for downtown orlando at the plaza. Patience is a virtue. :)

Archie Bunker once said, "Patience is a virgin." ^_^

Edited by spenser1058

Funny he should think that... because I've been waiting to do precisely that, drive downtown and see a movie. Imagine if people had to drive to Downtown Disney or Citywalk to see a movie, that's crazy!

I agree. I live out in the Lee Vista area and my wife and I can't wait until the theatre opens up in downtown. I can't think of a better spot to go see a movie. Think of all the options just within that 1-mile radius with all the bars, restaurants, the Improv, the energy. Then throw in the new arena, PAC, and commuter rail all within walking distance in a few years. You've got to be an idiot of a theatre company to turn down this location. I also don't think you'll see the onslaught of kids you see at Waterford, Winter Park Village, and Fashion Square. It will be much more adult orientated. I'm sure that some of the big theatre executives that are out of market probably don't get it though so I could see where they are having a problem finding a tenant.

I dont consider Ybor city as part of downtown Tampa and downtown Tampa is dead most of the time anyway. I am just wondering how their mini shopping center at the channelside doing.

channelside cinemas doesn't do that great either from the times that i have been there. they serve beer and philly hoagies and pizza at that location.

I dont consider Ybor city as part of downtown Tampa and downtown Tampa is dead most of the time anyway. I am just wondering how their mini shopping center at the channelside doing.

I think a better comparison might be the theaters in downtown St. Pete. Although I haven't been over for a couple of years, they seemed to be doing well on my previous trips. Downtown Tampa continues to struggle (the connections to the various components are not particularly pedestrian-friendly, imho), whereas downtown St. Pete continues to grow.

was there a story on action 27 news at night about the plaza and a movie theatre not happening?....thats what someone just told me but i did not get to see it

Yes, but the movie theatre they mentioned was Amstar, which was already widely known. Stating that, the story was very negative on all the proposed condo developments for downtown (Monarch, Tradition Towers, etc...) and how they are either getting delayed or abandoned.

there are other cities where theaters work downtown. seattle is great example. two very busy theaters are located right down, a Pacific and a UA. so i think it could work. those theaters are walking distance to a big neighborhood (capital hill). downtown orlando is really becoming another neighborhood anyway, why wouldn't a movie theater work there? unfortunately these corp heads look at some spreadsheet that somone has made regarding statistics that are very broad.

i saw a tivo of the news tonite....it said cameron kuhn would not answer wether or not the theatre was going to open....i am skeptical now....i hope nothing bad happens

maybe cameron kuhn will be there with a flashlight and a white bedsheet on friday nights playing shadow puppets and selling popcorn

there are other cities where theaters work downtown. seattle is great example. two very busy theaters are located right down, a Pacific and a UA. so i think it could work. those theaters are walking distance to a big neighborhood (capital hill). downtown orlando is really becoming another neighborhood anyway, why wouldn't a movie theater work there? unfortunately these corp heads look at some spreadsheet that somone has made regarding statistics that are very broad.

Not trying to be negative about the movie theater, but Seattle has much more of a central (and young) population base than Orlando and many other Southern cities.

Theaters downtown just don't work because most the suburbanites aren't going to drive downtown for a movie.

Atlanta has one near Five Points, but it does aweful. Channelside in Tampa's theater is very similar.

Clearly the whole idea of "restaraunt row" and other areas in the suburbs have established that entertainment means like movie theaters, etc are best put to the outskirts of the city at this point.

Not trying to be negative about the movie theater, but Seattle has much more of a central (and young) population base than Orlando and many other Southern cities.

Theaters downtown just don't work because most the suburbanites aren't going to drive downtown for a movie.

Atlanta has one near Five Points, but it does aweful. Channelside in Tampa's theater is very similar.

Clearly the whole idea of "restaraunt row" and other areas in the suburbs have established that entertainment means like movie theaters, etc are best put to the outskirts of the city at this point.

It would be nice to see the PAC-Plaza-New Arena corridor turned into something like Chinatown in DC (minus the Chinese part) where Verizon Center is located