The Plaza

Tim3167

Doesn't he own the land Presidential would be on as well?

I don't think he does or ever did. I believe that the two properties .. the old benchmark and what is now the presidential .. go linked in some minds because when Kuhn announce benchmark, he also said he had been talking with a deveoper who was interested in a condo on the adjacent land. His benchmark renderings also included the presendential condo. But it was never his and there was never a real connection in the two properties.

I like the first picture, cool perspective from the Church St Market.

Definitely... I never thought about how much it would "loom" over the market. Thanks for the view TIM! By the way, does anyone know what became of that club from the 7th photo down on the right side? I remember seeing a girl dancing in the window cage overlooking Central and thought "cool!" Then a few weeks later the place is closed! Let's all buy it and make it the UrbanPlanet club to rival the University Club.

Edited by WeNeed2Progress

Definitely... I never thought about how much it would "loom" over the market. Thanks for the view TIM! By the way, does anyone know what became of that club from the 7th photo down on the right side? I remember seeing a girl dancing in the window cage overlooking Central and thought "cool!" Then a few weeks later the place is closed! Let's all buy it and make it the UrbanPlanet club to rival the University Club.

It looms now, but when (or if) 55W gets built it will create a really cool layered look from behind.

Is it just me or does it seem that this project just might be a bit wide/large for the area? I don't mean in height, I mean just pure mass. When you stand on magnolia, or even on the front side on Orange ave, it just doesn't fit in proportion to its surrounding buildings. Now, I'm a big fan of this project, but I just wanted to point that out.

Is it just me or does it seem that this project just might be a bit wide/large for the area? I don't mean in height, I mean just pure mass. When you stand on magnolia, or even on the front side on Orange ave, it just doesn't fit in proportion to its surrounding buildings. Now, I'm a big fan of this project, but I just wanted to point that out.

You got to keep in mind that this is 3 separate buildings going up and when they each top out it will look alot better as far as density and interaction with surrounding buildings. In fact, I would say that most of the renderings that we have on file for ALL of the projects.....won't look as good as the real thing! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

You got to keep in mind that this is 3 separate buildings going up and when they each top out it will look alot better as far as density and interaction with surrounding buildings. In fact, I would say that most of the renderings that we have on file for ALL of the projects.....won't look as good as the real thing! :thumbsup:

Erm, no, the original poster is exactly right.

Skyline view as of this morning:

55981406_074a466622_b.jpg

Street view (down Magnolia, the side on which the Solaire tower will rise directly):

55981420_974855d3b4_b.jpg

The mass AND height are both going to be enormous! If the construction were to stop here it might still be somewhat in context with regard to height, but the surrounding urbanism is made up of fine-grain buildings. The small buildings on the south corners of Court and Pine are already monstrously overwhelmed, but even from a full block away (from where this was taken) the thing is going to look like the Rock of Gibraltar. That's what you get when you allow developers to close off streets and build superblocks: big-ass buildings.

God, I hate that stupid antenna on top of that building in picture #1.

Yes. it's aweful. It's some bellsouth building i beleive. totally messing up my skyline view, even with dynatech and the vue. there's no way to block it, short of demoing it!

I just thank god i dont have to look at the side of that building with the creepy telephone poll super-hero mural. :-)