The Plaza

Tim3167

I'll admit I don't know much about telecommunications infrastructure, but hasn't the technology allowed a more compact structure to do the same thing? Cell phone towers are skinny. Something about that whole apparatus looks very dated and obsolete to me.

It looks like a microwave relay tower to me. I don't know how much these are used anymore now that optical fiber has been run everywhere, many have been dismantled in other locations. Cell phone towers aren't directional whereas microwave transmitters/receivers are which calls for a different design.

Soem stats of the Plaza from sentinel

Highlights of downtown's The Plaza development plan:

$140 million: The cost of the project for the block anchored by McCrory's at Orange Avenue and Pine Street.

370,000: Square feet of office space

53,000: Square feet of retail space

170-220: Condominiums, housing about 460 people

53,000: Square-foot, 12-screen theater with estimated annual attendance of 670,000

that seems like a VERY high estimate.

In other words -- "get there EARLY". I love/hate busy movie theaters. Love them because you can sort of feed off of the crowd. Hate them because you can be totally annoyed by the crowd (most of whom are talking / getting up every 2 seconds, etc...).

I wonder how much I'll attend my local theater once it's opened. I know in NYC, my "walk to" theater sucked - totally state of the art, so the theater itself didn't suck, it was the audience that did.... I used to take a 30 minute train ride to the financial district to watch movies 'cuz it wa dead and I could enjoy the show unlike that theater, where the crowd was literally the most inconsiderate I've ever (and I mean EVER) encountered.

Fingers crossed for this one!

I think AMC Pleasure Island will remain the busiest and rowdiest.

Muvico Pointe Orlando is usually pretty rowdy too... always BABIES brought in there. Nothing pisses me off more than babies crying during a movie and the parents trying to coddle it instead of leaving the theatre.

Edited by WeNeed2Progress

My gosh ! Where do you folks attend movies that you witness such shenanigans ?

My son and I usually go to Oviedo marketplace, where even the mad crush of teenagers at the midnight premier of Star Wars were relatively docile.

And I guess I'm okay with breastfeeding at the movies.

providing the slurping is not too loud.