The Plaza

Tim3167

AMC's agreement is just to manage whatever theater eventually gets built.

It's basically a case of, "Call us when the theater is ready to go and the City has cut the first years subsidy check.".

This might be a silly question. If AMC is not paying for construction and Kuhn is out of the picture then who exactly is managing/paying for the finishing of the theatre? I saw some movement and banging around up there the other day which got my hopes up. Oh, and where exactly is the Publix supposed to be located in DT?

This might be a silly question. If AMC is not paying for construction and Kuhn is out of the picture then who exactly is managing/paying for the finishing of the theatre? I saw some movement and banging around up there the other day which got my hopes up. Oh, and where exactly is the Publix supposed to be located in DT?

That would be a good question.

Assuming that there really is currently any substantive work going on I would guess that the GC that won the original contract and started the build-out is back on the job, with a new series of payment guarantees made by the City and/or the banks that took/are taking over the project.

Publix is going to be in the ground level at The Paramount on Lake Eola, 400 E Central Blvd.

indy flicks at an AMC?

Without the draw of shopping, I bet weekdays will be pretty slim. If nothing else the film festival would be a good fit for daytime. But indy would draw a different crowd, like the crowd that lives downtown. Not a bad idea really, and with the subsidies, interesting to see if they try it.

From Orlando Business Journal:

"At the risk of jinxing progress at the AMC theater in The Plaza, it looks like construction on the long-awaited entertainment venue may finally begin.

Meyer Development Services Inc. of Homosassa has been granted a building permit to do $2.5 million worth of construction at 155 S. Orange Ave.

We're not going to hold our breath."

From the Sentinel this morning:

Sentinel

"Kuhn said a long-delayed multiplex theater at the heart of the project might not open now, though it essentially is complete except for seating and interior finishing work. Last November, AMC Theatres said it had agreed to operate the 12-screen complex and expected to be showing movies in early 2008. Kuhn, who had been leasing the theater space from California-based RP Partners Inc., said Thursday that RP "has taken the position" that the theater will not be completed."

So it fianlly went public. RP operates theaters around the country but feels this will not work. BUt they also operate some mega retail operations and are focused on getting a destination tenant there. The own the ground floor and have a vested interests to lease the space out to protect their ground floor interests.

Edit:

The hotel is 355 rooms not 450.

Edited by jack

So it fianlly went public. RP operates theaters around the country but feels this will not work. BUt they also operate some mega retail operations and are focused on getting a destination tenant there. The own the ground floor and have a vested interests to lease the space out to protect their ground floor interests.

Edit:

The hotel is 355 rooms not 450.

Maybe they could turn it into an indoor raquetball court!! This has been a major boondoggle from the beginning

so, is AMC still supposed to be the operator while RP builds it?

if so, then why not get a few thousand people to sign a petition stating that they would patronize it if built? would that have any effect on their decision to move forward?

Sure...If those few thousand people are willing to put $10K each into escrow.

That's a major blow to downtown if we do actually loose the cinema. I hope the Orlando Sentinel is wrong this time.

Hope "the Sentinel is wrong"?

The Sentinel isn't saying anything, they are just quoting Kuhn, AMC, and RP Partners.

What, you think the Sentinel just made it all up?

all I know is what I've seen so far with the plaza:

1. more and more peds are walking between the N & S towers rather than down Pine St. Church St. ped activity is still heavy;

2. Bento is jam packed during lunch and has customers at night and does the late night thing as well.

3. Corona is jam packed at night and is now serving food;

4. Urban Flats is packed during lunch and their bar and restaurant are busy at night;

5. Salon Elyse is still open.

6. Cool Blue Burrito is busy now during lunch;

7. Volcanos seems to be catching on during the am and lunch hour.

8. NYPD Pizza is building out as we speak.

9. Cold Stone is almost open

10. Bola is building out;

11. one vacant parlor behind Volcano's where that spa is supposed to go;

12. not sure what the status is with the clothing store at Mag & Church.

13. Scottrade has been up and running along Magnolia for some time (Bola's mirror unit in the S. Tower).

I'd say Level 1 at the complex can be called in right now as a success. 6 places are open, 3 are building out (with 1, Cold Stone, days from opening), and 2 more are unknown at this time (for all intents and purposes, 7 places are pretty much done or open). Out of the 6 that are open, the two marquis spaces are occupied and very successful (Urban & Corona).

...and then there's the cinema issue...

Edited by JRS1

As for you, why so aggressive sounding???

Because that's the way all of his posts are.... belligerent, condescending, patronizing, argumentative, egotistical, conceited, and so full of himself, its a wonder he doesn't explode. If there was a way I could block from seeing his posts, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Edited by FrigginGr8est

^^

c'mon guys... ah, nevermind...

as far as the cinema goes, there's no way these guys are just going to let it sit idly by. Location has proven paramount to the success of the restaurants that have opened up already at PTP... the Plaza has now been incorporated in peoples' going out patterns and walk-path patterns, and lunch-going patterns. People come back at night to go out like wildfire; doing same for a movie isn't that far of a stretch, no?

who can tell me how to get my own avatar... I've got some really cool ideas...

I certainly can't speak for Sunshine...

So why are you then?

As for you, why so aggressive sounding???

No, I think the far more relevant question is why are YOU so "aggressive sounding"? Huh - huh?

Then again sunshine does not need me to defend him!!!

Then again maybe he does! Maybe he wants the truth, thinks he deserves the truth but in reality can't handle the truth!

^^

c'mon guys... ah, nevermind...

as far as the cinema goes, there's no way these guys are just going to let it sit idly by. Location has proven paramount to the success of the restaurants that have opened up already at PTP... the Plaza has now been incorporated in peoples' going out patterns and walk-path patterns, and lunch-going patterns. People come back at night to go out like wildfire; doing same for a movie isn't that far of a stretch, no?

who can tell me how to get my own avatar... I've got some really cool ideas...

"Guy's"? Plural?

F-that!

I responed to a post in the context of the thread topic, gave one answer and asked another legitimate question. I don't give a rat's ass if the person who responded to me didn't like my question.

It was the other poster who repsonsed to me personally about nothing having to do with the thead topic so redirect your "c'mon guy's" to the "guy" who has the problem, leave me out of it. <_<