The Plaza

Tim3167

does anyone know how the theater selected its initial movies and how it plans to do so in the future? it seems the theater would use use its first showings as a way to establish its desired market or showcase its approach to planned diversity. if this is, indeed, what's happening, wow. don't get me wrong -- i'm a huge jason statham fan, but two statham films and a selection of which 60% i own on dvd? as it stands, i can't wait to go, but the thought of re-watching favorites (with the exception of old, OLD classics) on the big screen is holding me back. am i in the minority here? (yes, i know there are a couple of new releases, but the features are overwhelmingly available on dvd.)

i am also disappointed because it advertised sugar, yet no sugar.

does anyone know how the theater selected its initial movies and how it plans to do so in the future? it seems the theater would use use its first showings as a way to establish its desired market or showcase its approach to planned diversity. if this is, indeed, what's happening, wow. don't get me wrong -- i'm a huge jason statham fan, but two statham films and a selection of which 60% i own on dvd? as it stands, i can't wait to go, but the thought of re-watching favorites (with the exception of old, OLD classics) on the big screen is holding me back. am i in the minority here? (yes, i know there are a couple of new releases, but the features are overwhelmingly available on dvd.)

i am also disappointed because it advertised sugar, yet no sugar.

I agree. I walked by tonight with the intent of seeing a movie, but it seemed most of their showings were movies that were out in March. I will second what another poster said about showtimes on the website not matching up with the showtimes at the actual theatre. The other downside was there was no automatic kiosk. Unless the ATM's also serve as kiosks.

They probably need time to work out the details -- the only problem with that is Orlando already has several well functioning movie theaters, Universal, Pleasure Island, Enzian, so if they are going to ramp up a local fan base they better shape up quick. This place could bust in much less time than it took to get it open, which would be a shame.

I disagree with the arm rest being a negative. I liked being able to put my elbows on both sides and still not touch my neighboring viewer. I found that the seats were very supportive and I didn't find myself fidgeting one bit. I can't remember the last time I didn't feel uncomfortable after an hour during a movie.

The movie times, as I stated in a previous post, were off and I missed the beginning of my movie. The crew needs to work on their rotating around to keep the areas clean. The napkins and straws were not stocked on my side of the concession stand either. They will have to work on that. I still found some down the counter, so not that big of a deal. Plus it was towards the end of the rush.

I liked the bars, but I don't know how well they will do since they are at the ends of the halls and while you can see across the street, you cannot see down into the Plaza due to the ornamentational roof from the floor below.

Overall, it was a great experience. This will definitely be my new movie going home. No more Regal Winter Park Village for me.

^^

best cinema I've been in; interior design, etc. at the tips of the bldg layout- in the shape of a "u" with the tips being at the far ends of the Plaza N & S towers, there's a full service bar-- each mirrors the other. that's awesome.

great buildout;

saw Star Trek there last night. it was a good experience. and I've noticed people using the theatre regularly. On Sat. night, they told me that the parking deck was full up to 1/2 of the 7th level. Granted, the Magic played on Sat. night; but it was a great crowd nevertheless.

what they need to do is continue doing the little things that make downtown the attraction regardless of event nights...

saw Star Trek yesterday to check out the place. Kinda confusing for everyone wrt validating parking, getting food, finding the bar, etc, but all in all a nice experience. I hope it works out b/c I really enjoyed going to a theater downtown. I think they have some kinks to work out but all in all I think it could be a cool place. I hope they get some more indie moves and show more clsassics. I might have to check out a Magic Finals game.

Are there real tables in any of the theaters?

Magic game in the theater was packed and lots of fun...

If they can't get first run movies going, I am not hopeful for the future of this very nice theater...

I have a feeling their motive is to start the theatre up, build somewhat of a base and sell to a major chain.

• 1 month later...

Went to the movie theater for the first time this weekend and was very impressed. My wife and I went to go see Harry Potter and parked in the garage. I think it was $18 for both of us with a validated parking ticket. The seats were very comfortable and the sound and video quality and screen size were all excellent.

I think the messages about the issues with the parking garage are overblown. It's a lot different than the other garages around downtown and the system of paying for your parking is confusing the first time you do it, but it is really not a big deal. I was easily able to drive my Infiniti FX35 around the garage. If you have an Expedition, you may have problems, but if you have a normal car, it is fine.

This is a great addition to downtown and they are now showing all first-rate movies:

http://www.plazacinemacafe.com/

Here's something about the paking that they didn't have at first: pay at the turnstile. all you have to do now is leave with the car, go to the gate, insert your credit card, and pay on the spot (or place in your validated ticket). not sure if all gates are activated like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Plaza Cinema Cafe has updated their website. It doesn't look so amateurish. It also looks like they've added late movies on Fri & Sat night. Hopefully this is a sign they are doing well.

I have to admit 2 months ago I was quite skeptical about this establishment. Now I find myself quite enthused by it.

Went to go see that yesterday and the line was so long, I missed the movie time and went home. First time experiencing that there. Next time, I'll have to plan further ahead. I really thought I could get there about 5-10 minutes early and that would be enough. Not yesterday afternoon.

The next thing they need to work on is getting advance ticket purchasing online and kiosks.