The Plaza

Tim3167

If people like me would stop sneaking into 3 or 4 movies on one ticket, maybe the lines wouldnt be so long :dontknow:

lol^ i think that is an awesome problem that they have long lines now! yay! but just in time for me moving out of solaire so i dont have to deal with theatre patron parking! gosh that is a nightmare to deal with ppl who are not use to that poorly designed garage!

lol^ i think that is an awesome problem that they have long lines now! yay! but just in time for me moving out of solaire so i dont have to deal with theatre patron parking! gosh that is a nightmare to deal with ppl who are not use to that poorly designed garage!

Surprisingly its not bad like I thought it would be. It doesn't even fill up past the 4th floor. People are too cheap to park there I guess.

^^

I heard the same thing about the District 9 night regarding traffic; I heard there was a line going around the escalators.

Nostradamus: The Plaza cinema will lure people downtown that would not otherwise come here. It will also attract some others who used to come here but stopped once CSS went south. Between now and the opening of the Amway Center, I foresee new retail at CSS, 55W, etc., and the great thing about it is that people will have already been changing their going-out-habits so that prospective retailers will take notice and perhaps push their projects sooner than later. Add the fact that 55W will start leases in September, and we have a pretty good situation here.

have seen a couple movies in the last couple of weeks on weeknight and weekend and the theatre has been very busy...still not super packed inside but there is a long line outside...and i've also heard from friends who dont live downtown be like "have you heard about the theatre downtown???" so i think it is awesome business is finally picking up!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Heard some bad news from a good source last night. The Plaza Theater might be shutting down or going to 6 screens at the end of February. I was told one of the Cheesecake Factory guys took over, and had plans to redo the menu, etc, but the theater is hemmoraging money.

That theater was good in many ways, but also very poorly run at the same time. One time I got there for them to tell me the time listed online was wrong and that the movie I came for was no longer playing that evening.

• 8 months later...

I just heard that vendors are no longer allowed to validate parking at The Plaza. Can anyone verify?

I can only see this as being detrimental to business owners on that property. I bet the management company is seeing it as lost revenue on Magic game nights, but what about when it isn't game night or when it isn't basketball season.

To play devil's advocate, I don't think this will be all that detrimental. Do patrons of Urban Flats or the movie theater come downtown simply for those venues? Likely not. They come downtown to experience the environment. I do not think people will necessarily opt out of downtown because of the parking garage, when they could park for free on the street a few blocks away. Of course, there may be some, but I suspect the majority of people will not be detered by this.

Speaking of the theater, I went on Sunday to finally see Social Network. I am glad to see that they changed the carpet and went to a dark colored pattern that won't show off the stains from people spilling food and drinks. When you order cooked food, it comes out on the right side instead of clogging up each register. I haven't been to a movie in months and it was nice to see at least 2 improvements.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone notice they only light up one of the lower tower's visors now?

They were lighting neither tower for a very long time. Only recently has that one tower been lit ... but the other continues to be dark.

Likewise, they stopped lighting the Sun Trust tower many many months ago, though now they light it during Magic home games.

Downtown Orlando's Only Movie Theater Now 100% Digital

ORLANDO, Fla., Dec. 22, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- Cobb Plaza Cinema Cafe was acquired by Cobb Theatres earlier this month and is already being upgraded to cutting-edge technology and expanded 3D capabilities. All 12 auditoriums now feature 100% Barco DLP digital projectors for bright, bold and crisp images, with four also equipped with RealD 3D cinema technology to handle the steady stream of upcoming new releases in 2010 and 2011.

"With the holiday movie season in full swing, we acted quickly to enhance the movie-going experience for our customers in Orlando," said Jeremy Welman chief operating officer, Cobb Theatres. "Our goal is to provide an entertainment destination that includes the highest-quality audio and visual presentation for our theater guests. Every day."

http://www.prnewswir...-112333439.html

Edited by DeepEyez