The Plaza

Tim3167

Looks like Urban Flats is leaving the Plaza. That's a pretty big and obvious vacancy to occur. That said, it's moving into 55 West ... where Heat was briefly.

I'm 99.99% sure of this. I asked the workers inside the 55 West space what was being put in and I was told Urban Flats. Walked down the street and it looks like all the artwork, etc has been taken down inside the Plaza location.

No official confirmation that it's a move, but it would appear that way.

Wowza. In KLStorey's blog he wrote that he had talked to someone at the Heat location and she was secretive but disclosed it was a new concept for Florida (or something to that extent).

She was either ill-illed or wrongly informed. Unless there's other space besides HEAT where Urban Flats ends up going?

I think this is a better location for them and at the same time, better to reduce size than to close completely like other Urban Flats locations have done.

I wonder what will go in at The Plaza? Great location.

Urban Flats is definitely going in the Heat location. It's basically done ... I saw bottles behind the bar.

However, there is construction happening on the second floor of retail above Heat. It will be the first second floor retail lease in 55 West. Perhaps that's the information KLStorey was given?

Another thing to add is they're building out in a very unique way. They removed the normal glass windows and replaced some of them with giant sliding doors. It looks like they'll be able to open the interior up to the exterior in a nice continuous fashion. No doubt this is to accommodate their large Wine Down crowds and other special events.

It looks awesome. I'll take some pics when I walk home tonight.

Maybe this will be where I eat dinner from now on ... too convenient.

Wowza. In KLStorey's blog he wrote that he had talked to someone at the Heat location and she was secretive but disclosed it was a new concept for Florida (or something to that extent).

She was either ill-illed or wrongly informed. Unless there's other space besides HEAT where Urban Flats ends up going?

I think this is a better location for them and at the same time, better to reduce size than to close completely like other Urban Flats locations have done.

I wonder what will go in at The Plaza? Great location.

I was wondering the same thing myself. It was definitely the Heat space. Yeah her words is that they are bringing a concept 'new to Florida.'

However, there is construction happening on the second floor of retail above Heat. It will be the first second floor retail lease in 55 West. Perhaps that's the information KLStorey was given?

I heard a rumor that this spot is where the 55W Lounge was going. Sounded like a clubhouse for the residents that would be opened to the public in the evening similar to the ones used in California condo buildings. Maybe the Urban Flats would have seats reserved for residents of the tower? Seems a bit odd but with the penthouses being brought online it might be related to that? Has the demand for penthouses that we had back in April settled down any,?

I like the retail rumor more though. Any word on who it might be? I'm still holding out on H&M coming downtown. Ever since they were rumored to go into City Place I've been thinking that they may be the first major retailer to realize downtown's potential.

Any word on what may go into the Plaza? A smaller style H&M would be amazing but I expect it to remain a restaurant.

If I had to wager a bet, I'd say American Apparel would be the retail trailblazer. They've done so in similar fashion in many other cities.

With the failure of their Ybor City store though they might be more reserved to come into Central Florida urban cores. For these spots I expect something smaller actually. Maybe an Armani Exchange or similar chain, they all seem to be doing good at the outlets so maybe some of them might be willing to try other local locations. Right now though I expect independent retailers for the time being. Is an Apple store to much a pipe dream to even mention?

I remember reading (don't ask me where) that American Apparel had huge losses and were on the brink of bankrupcy. I know they closed their Gainesville store.

Although they don't have the footprint of the (former) Urban Flats suite, it looks like a little progress has been made on the Chase branch along Magnolia... maybe they'll change plans and move to the larger/more visible space being left by UF. The small suite between 7-11 and Mochi has been going through a slow buildout and will become a car rental place.

Wine Down Wed's at Urban Flats was overly packed with little elbow room but definitely worth the price. While other locations closed due to bankruptcy, I think d/t Urban Flats was a success because it's location was a part of it's charm. The West Church St area has little visibility and it just seems so dark and empty. It seems like a risky move. Maybe they're counting on Magic fans / Sunrail passengers to fill seats? Or maybe the rent was just too d@mn high...

Wine Down Wed's at Urban Flats was overly packed with little elbow room but definitely worth the price. While other locations closed due to bankruptcy, I think d/t Urban Flats was a success because it's location was a part of it's charm. The West Church St area has little visibility and it just seems so dark and empty. It seems like a risky move. Maybe they're counting on Magic fans / Sunrail passengers to fill seats? Or maybe the rent was just too d@mn high...

The thing is, they know exactly what they are getting themselves into foot traffic-wise because they also own Rusty Spoon.

Maybe they're looking for a critical mass at that density... get people used to coming to their new location for either restaurant - the location, driving, parking will be the same. I am concerned about existing customer base - with how quiet the transition has been, will they know where to get their flatbreads and wine now? This morning I walked by The Plaza and they were putting up "FOR LEASE" signs and brown paper in the windows, with no directional or "We've Moved" signs. It may be like starting the business from scratch once again.

• 1 month later...

Well, recall that Chase bought naming rights to the Plaza a few months back. I don't know how much space they plan to occupy out of the massive Urban Flats space, but I can't imagine they're taking it all. Their name should be going up on the building soon and it will be called "Chase Plaza".

We'll see.

Having a hard time complaining at the moment as I bank with Chase, and there is no downtown branch currently.

I thought Chase was going in along Magnolia. There is some build-out going on in one or both of the remaining suites there... any ideas what it could be? With the sports-bar-of-the-week closed and Mad Cow moving, that's going to leave the block without any real street life.

Are there many full-service retail bank branches downtown?

Just about every bank EXCEPT Chase has one (only some have drive-in tellers though). I was banking at WaMu in 2008 when Chase swooped in and took it over just as we were finally getting a branch at The Paramount. I was so happy - finally, I was getting a bank branch AND a Publix just a short stroll from my apt. I was sooooo happy and then Chase pulled the plug. Glad to see Chase finally downtown but I'm now banking with ally so it doesn't do much for me now. I have to think this will increase foot traffic right around The Plaza, though, since Chase is such a big bank.

Edited by spenser1058

• 1 month later...