The Plaza

Tim3167

Troubles shadow city-backed Plaza towers in downtown Orlando

The good news in this Sentinel article is that Cobb seems to think business is improving (although not as fast as expected) and there seem to be lots of folks interested in the Urban Flats space, but apparently the various asociations are still at war with each other. Stay tuned...

Edited by spenser1058

Troubles shadow city-backed Plaza towers in downtown Orlando

The good news in this Sentinel article is that Cobb seems to think business is improving (although not as fast as expected) and there seem to be lots of folks interested in the Urban Flats space, but apparently the various asociations are still at war with each other. Stay tuned...

Here's hoping the theater succeeds. It's hands down my favorite in town. Comfy seats and I can get a glass of wine. Haven't been in a while, but there's just not much on the big screen I want to see right now. Once you learn how to park in the garage, it's pretty convenient. But I imagine that garage is no small deterrent for business. It's not the tight curves, it's the odd way you have to go about paying to park (outside kiosks, no manned exits, etc.).

Swung by the newly leased space at the Plaza downtown on Friday, I tried to talk to some people around about any word on what was going in there. No one was really around due to the rain, I did talk to a security guard who said he heard it was 'some type of new club' but then said he really didn't know anything about it.

I snapped a few photos but due to the rain and fashion show thingy that was going on most didn't really come out. SmileGuy on here did send me a much better picture today. I'll be back downtown tomorrow with some time to kill so I'll try snooping around a bit more and see if I can uncover anything. Though I'll be splitting my time between this and all the new stuff going in at CSS.

566.jpg

I suspect that whatever goes in there will at least offer food since there is such a nice kitchen in the space. I'm expecting more something along the line sof The Fifth but wouldn't be surprised to see a national chain, personally though I'd much rather see a Panera or something like that in there.

I suspect that whatever goes in there will at least offer food since there is such a nice kitchen in the space. I'm expecting more something along the line sof The Fifth but wouldn't be surprised to see a national chain, personally though I'd much rather see a Panera or something like that in there.

That's not a bad idea either. Perhaps a the first Corner Bakery in Orlando would be ideal there.

• Like 1

I also wouldn't mind seeing a Too Jay's return to downtown in the former Urban Flats space. Great catering service, there aren't any downtown delis or bakeries in the CBD. If I still lived in 55W, I'd totally go down and grab some potato salad and latkes to go.

The Banana Dream cake at TooJay's is the best cake ever. And I challenge anyone who disagrees with me to a cake-off.

• Like 1

I also wouldn't mind seeing a Too Jay's return to downtown in the former Urban Flats space. Great catering service, there aren't any downtown delis or bakeries in the CBD. If I still lived in 55W, I'd totally go down and grab some potato salad and latkes to go.

Agreed, had they held on for more than 3 months in the Hamburger Mary's location, they would be doing well. They are probably still scared to return to downtown, but I think that would be a wonderful idea. Anything but burgers, pizza or sandwich only shops -OR- upscale dining.

Agreed, had they held on for more than 3 months in the Hamburger Mary's location, they would be doing well. They are probably still scared to return to downtown, but I think that would be a wonderful idea. Anything but burgers, pizza or sandwich only shops -OR- upscale dining.

Perhaps we ought to all send them an "interest" e-mail? Real estate in the CBD is only left on Church Street now or back side of Solaire, which may or may not be a good location. I want to see something bring traffic to the space(s) beside Frank & Steins on Magnolia. If Too Jay's would go in there, if they can hold out for the PAC it'd definitely help.

To heck with Toojay's - we want the REAL Orlando deli - bring back Ronnie's!

http://articles.orla...do-barbara-bass

pc2562.jpg

Photo thanks to: State Archives of Florida, Florida Memory, http://floridamemory...ems/show/160421

Ronnie's heyday was before my time, but from what I've heard, people seem to have a very strong attachment to the place. I know his daughter. She remembers people taking away little pieces of the building as a keepsake after it was demolished.

I would rather see a mid-range independant restaurant - maybe something all natural & organic?

Ronnie's heyday was before my time, but from what I've heard, people seem to have a very strong attachment to the place. I know his daughter. She remembers people taking away little pieces of the building as a keepsake after it was demolished.

I would rather see a mid-range independant restaurant - maybe something all natural & organic?

I want to see a tried and true chain restaurant that will appeal to a large audience. All natural and organic sounds nice, but I doubt something of that nature ( :shades: ) could survive in that space. Something should firmly anchor that corner in downtown.

I was pleasantly surprised it was leased as quickly as it was. I just hope it's not the latest "food by day, club by night" concept.

The "Food by Day, Club by Night" rarely succeeds on the food end from what I've experienced. Remember the über pretentious Heat? The idea of having an Indian restaurant downtown was a great idea, but the execution, service and attitude failed on that end. Not to mention the unwarranted queue to get in at night.

As for downtown restaurants in that corner, a Darden concept would be great. While a Seasons 52 would be welcomed as a high-end alternative, I think that space is better suited for a midrange venue like Bahama Breeze or better yet, their recently acquired brand, Yard House. Yard House would be a great fit for the corner. It's upper midrange and offer great food and atmosphere.

I second the Yard House notion.

Last year Yard House opened up on Brookline Ave in Boston, a stone's throw from Fenway Park. They are the first "semi-upscale" venue in the Kenmore/Fenway neighborhood. Yard House manages to maintain the "beer garden" type environment while offering better quality craft beer selections and food.

It would be nice for Darden to re-enter the downtown market (they are headquartered in Orlando after all) with an upscale venue -- Capital Grille for instance, to appeal to the business crowd. Their last downtown establishment was the Olive Garden at Church Street Station.

As praha and others have noted, I think it only appropriate for our Fortune 500-headquartered company to have a location downtown. One minor correction: OG was actually in the Church St. Market (over Church St. - the Market was developed by Lincoln Property while CSS and the Exchange were Bob Snow's project.)

I want to see a tried and true chain restaurant that will appeal to a large audience. All natural and organic sounds nice, but I doubt something of that nature ( :shades: ) could survive in that space. Something should firmly anchor that corner in downtown.

While I agree that a chain restaurant would have the funds to weather financial hardhip, I wouldn't consider natural/organic as a niche market anymore. Almost every major company can now be found marketing "all natural ingredients" to the masses. This is why a corporation like McDonalds once invested in a resturant like Chipotle. Chipotle appeals to a large audience, but without being too "preachy". Maybe I'm being a little selfish, but it would be nice to be able to eat without having to deal with questionable ingredients in my food.

So as a compromise, I wouldn't mind seeing a Cheesecake factory or Brio on that corner. Mainly for architecture/aesthetics, price range and because they're almost always filled with people at various times of the day (i.e. brunch, lunch, dinner menu).