The Plaza

Tim3167

Looks like they raised the Solaire Crane again? And that is interesting that these construction companies are stretched to the max, with work waiting for crews and cranes to become available. Wow, the media would have you believe that the economy sucks and Bush is ruining everything! :w00t:

Edited by firemick

Looks like they raised the Solaire Crane again? And that is interesting that these construction companies are stretched to the max, with work waiting for crews and cranes to become available. Wow, the media would have you believe that the economy sucks and Bush is ruining everything! :w00t:

Florida's been booming since the early 90s, Orlando just hit the trend late. It's good to see its catching up quickly.

Just found some info on some of the restaurants that we should be enjoying when this thing is done.

Unicorp intends to bring in specialty restaurants,

both casual and nighttime with entertainment, says

Amy Young, director of leasing for Unicorp. These

include an upscale seafood restaurant, steakhouse

and themed restaurant, as well as a national ice

cream shop.

In addition, Unicorp wants to provide unique

specialty services, she says. It is looking at

introducing a neighborhood market and several

service-oriented businesses, including a dry cleaner,

hair salon, nail salon and spa.

Among the specific restaurants and retailers who

have submitted proposals to lease the space:

AmStar Entertainment, to occupy the movie

theater

Moe’s Southwestern Grill

PJ’s Coffee & Tea

Mama Fu’s Noodle House

“We’re still trying to nail down

the perfect tenant mix,” Young says.

“We really want a mix that will

appeal to the people who live and

work downtown, as well as people

who will make a special trip

downtown to enjoy the destination

I'll post a link shortly

Edited by jcast

and I thought we might finally have some decent place to shop. jcast, next time you see her, pls tell her that we demand store like Carte and Barrel, William Sonana, A&F, Express.... in the plaza and not Ma Ma fu or Moe, we refused cheap food.

Edited by sunshine

• 3 weeks later...

The most appealing view of this is the one near the old Lynx terminal. Doesn't look too bad from Orange Ave either. Thanks for all the updates.

Something does not add up... in renderings, and height comaprisons... the residential part of this project is considerably shorter the Suntrust building.... but they still have about 13 more stories to add to this tower... which seem to make it taller than the renderings. I hope so at least. Right now this project has a giant footprint..but it is very squat... I wish the residential tower would be much taller than the commercial towers...I think it would look much nicer... right now I am not impressed in the least... just the worlds largest above ground parking garage... U.G.L.Y.

Edited by GregoryMCSE

Something does not add up... in renderings, and height comaprisons... the residential part of this project is considerably shorter the Suntrust building.... but they still have about 13 more stories to add to this tower... which seem to make it taller than the renderings. I hope so at least. Right now this project has a giant footprint..but it is very squat... I wish the residential tower would be much taller than the commercial towers...I think it would look much nicer... right now I am not impressed in the least... just the worlds largest above ground parking garage... U.G.L.Y.

The only tower that is close to topping off is the South Office Tower which only has 1 more floor to go. They are on the 14th floor now, the tower has 15 (It is listed at 16 floors but the 13th floor is not counted). The North Tower still has 6 more floors to go as well as the Solaire's 14 floors. I think it will look a lot more proportional once complete.

Right now this project has a giant footprint..but it is very squat... I wish the residential tower would be much taller than the commercial towers...I think it would look much nicer... right now I am not impressed in the least... just the worlds largest above ground parking garage... U.G.L.Y.

Right NOW the Vue is very squat too. The current trend in construction is that they build the bottom BEFORE they build the top.

Judging by the structure as it stands now, it looks like the garage is 10 floors.

Parking deck is definetly only 10 floors. This is a very common issue with artist renderings. Any building with a large footprint always looks extremely squat. I think the Solaire is going to raise the focal point to a higher level therefore extending the "torso" if you will, of the building. Ultimately it is just a very dense and massive structure.

"it looks squat in renderings too jacka$$....."

Geez...settle down. Maybe it's the holidays but there has been a couple of examples on these forums recently of users jumping all over each other.

I too think the Solaire lacks vertical impact. I think it would have been better had the residential tower had a more seamless transition from the parking garage but it looks to have been plopped onto this big square pedestal which make it appear to be two separate structures.

Here's a newer rendering:

sol_building-229x276.jpg

Here's an older rendering. Granted it's taller but it also has a much more vertical feel because of the continuation of the tower through the parking garage.

plaza9sa.png

Edited by Tim3167

Thanks for those rendering, Tim!

The older design did have a much stronger vertical appearance. That particular placement of the tower on the parking structure made the tower seem leaner and taller.

The new, and I assume final, design doesn't have that look. Plus, the arrangement of the exterior cladding and glass gives the tower a "T" shape. To my eye, that makes it look stumpier. (BTW, 'stumpier' is an official architecture term).

Anyway, I think this whole discussion might turn out to be a moot point. This project already loooks taller than I ever thought it would. The two office towers on Orange have surprised me with their height. They stick out much further in the skyline than what the renderings suggested. So I think when the main condo tower goes up, we'll all be pleasantly surprised with its height.