The VUE

Tim3167

I love Lake Eola, but every picture we get from the east has that hideous bandshell in it. I wish they would build a new one, or at least paint it a more appealing color.

1.) That IS the new one

2.) They DID paint it a different color

3.) You obviously haven't lived here very long. If you had you'd remember the old bandshell that was demolished in the mid 80's and rebuilt as it is now. You think this one is ugly???... The old one had a sloped flat roof. Talk about ugly... The current design came from the winner of a contest who worked as a designer at Disney, and up until a year or two ago it was a plain-blah beige color. I happen to think it looks MUCH better with the current colors and hope they leave it that way.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.) That IS the new one

2.) They DID paint it a different color

3.) You obviously haven't lived here very long. If you had you'd remember the old bandshell that was demolished in the mid 80's and rebuilt as it is now. You think this one is ugly???... The old one had a sloped flat roof. Talk about ugly... The current design came from the winner of a contest who worked as a designer at Disney, and up until a year or two ago it was a plain-blah beige color. I happen to think it looks MUCH better with the current colors and hope they leave it that way.

Relax, :shades: I think he was just stating an opinion. I happen to be from here, seen the old one, seen the new one, still think its hideous.

Yeah, but this thing's 20 years old now. It's not like it's the Bandshell in Daytona which was built of cocquina rock so many decades ago. They do need to rethink this thing. It looks like a throwback '70's-looking pavillion at Epcot (Imagination) with the Buck Rogers rainbow effect (which, I actually think is kinda cool).

Gather donations and build it in brick or something. Make it a monumant instead of a question mark. Just like Suntrust, they need to recolor the aqua off that thing as well.

just my $.02

Yeah, but this thing's 20 years old now. It's not like it's the Bandshell in Daytona which was built of cocquina rock so many decades ago. They do need to rethink this thing. It looks like a throwback '70's-looking pavillion at Epcot (Imagination) with the Buck Rogers rainbow effect (which, I actually think is kinda cool).

Gather donations and build it in brick or something. Make it a monumant instead of a question mark. Just like Suntrust, they need to recolor the aqua off that thing as well.

just my $.02

Are you kidding? Sun Trust's color scheme is perfect. I couldn't Imagine it with different colors than what is.

Well, we can agree to disagree regarding Suntrust's color scheme.

I don't know of any other downtowns in the US with a serious skyline that have a signature bldg. with aqua as its main color to accent the granite walls. The rest of the design is ok.

Vue will blow Suntrust away in design and overall look.

Well, we can agree to disagree regarding Suntrust's color scheme.

I don't know of any other downtowns in the US with a serious skyline that have a signature bldg. with aqua as its main color to accent the granite walls. The rest of the design is ok.

Vue will blow Suntrust away in design and overall look.

I agree to disagree. I like it. Alot! I never knew it was Orlando's goal to have its skyline to look like every other downtown in the US. Viva la differance!

I agree to disagree. I like it. Alot! I never knew it was Orlando's goal to have its skyline to look like every other downtown in the US. Viva la differance!

I seldom chime in, but I have a strong opinion on this one...I have to agree with JRS on this. The SunTrust color scheme is a tacky '80s almost pastel-like green...it certainly has not weathered the test of time, and it seems to add to Orlando's image as a ticky-tacky neon t-shirt town. Those silly green pyramids could just as easily appear on top of a 99-cent t-shirt shop along 192 in Kissimmee.

I think that shades of green (pastel or otherwise) don't fit in well in the urban environment. Green fits in well for structures in the country-side, or at the Disney Lodge, but not in an intensely human-built environment. Unfortunately, the new Ivanhoe design also includes a large amount of green.

Just my view, for what it's worth.

I have always loved the SunTrust design and color scheme. It is a unique building! It certainly won't taut it as the best of the best but in my opinion it is very much a "Florida" building. It is very 80's-ish, I guess that's because it was built in the 80's. But there is some real originality in that structure.

At the same time, it's time we got some newer looking buildings. Which is happening, so the problem is being remedied.

I don't mind the bold colors. I like the green in the Ivanhoe, as well. There are whole sections of the country that would be hard pressed to produce some buildings that are as bold as what are proposed for downtown Orlando. I like it! It will help to set Orlando apart from other cities. In my opinion, Orlando always has been a special city, but now people will be able to see it in the unmistakable art form we call the skyscraper.

On a side note, I'm also glad that we've got some critics here about what is being built, or has been built. It is a healthy dialogue, fueled by people who care about where they live. In my opinion, Orlando is about to become a world-class city, or is even in the process of becoming so, and if we have critics, it will only make Orlando stronger. :D

Now... if the highlight colors on Suntrust were copper which turned into Statue of Liberty green, then I could live with that.

Also, I personally feel that the "Florida" style has proven to be a tacky failure compared to other world-class architecture, which has made its way to Miami under the current boom, and, in some respects, to Orlando.

I totally agree with Hillcity on the issue of Suntrust; it does have a tacky t-shirt feel to it-- until you enter the lobby-- but you don't see the lobby from I-4. Suntrust is not "professional enough" of a scraper (if that is even a designation). Vue will fit this bill better than Suntrust. I'm hoping 55W transitions it better to downtown than it already does...

It is '80's and was built in the '80's, but, '80's architecture for the most part sucked-- in every city, save a few exceptional bldgs here and there. Suntrust's existence- by itself in that area of downtown- fools people into thinking that Orlando is still stuck in the '80's. Thank God for CNL, Westin, and Lincoln Plaza to take peoples' attention away from it (especially CNL 1 & 2 at night. 55W will do the same, as will Plaza).

However, I do like new Ivanhoe design. apples and oranges.

You think Lincoln Plaza is architecturally superior to Suntrust, despite the fact that all it does is play of Suntrust's features? This hate for Suntrust is hard to understand. I've always loved its presence on the skyline, and its colors seem to be right on. This is not to say that it couldn't you a fresh coat of paint and a pressure washing.

I find the hate hard to understand as well. It's probably not the smoothest of designs, but none the less, its decent enough to fit in for being the tallest in downtown. I think the problem most people are trying to touch on is that its kind of average and doesn't have that "ooo ahhh" appeal. And that's probably true. But that doesn't make it a bad building. I'm in NY right now... When I look at the midtown skyline out my window (i live 17 floors up in downtown manhattan), I see plenty of "ordinary" or average buildings that don't give me the shock and aww that the ESB or the chyrsler building gives me. I mean, hey, the average ones still do the job. Put up 4 or 5 more like Suntrust in DT, and you'll have a nice skyline. Later you can decide to for 60 stories and give it a shock and aww feel with a pointy top. For now, I say it does the job quite well.

Also, there's a building here in NY thats designed just like the suntrust there. Different colors, but the same idea and roof top none the less. I'm sure its about 50 to 60 stories tho. No one seems to even notice it in the crowd if you get my drift. And from ground level, I assure you, the important thing for people has nothing to do with looking up.... its looking sideays.... if you know what I mean.

Ok. I have to chime in.. before we all realize we are so off-topic in this thread... :)

I am not a big fan of the Suntrust bldg colors at all... BUT, thats what it is. that is its signature and i would not change it. Yes, its a total 80s color design, but you know what, it ages our city (very very little), but god knows we need that. The solution is exactly as someone else mentioned earlier, you surround it with modern buildings, and in the end, we have buildings of various styles and colors representing their respective decades. now that makes a city.

I think what I dislike about it is that with its design, it does not take well to other future neighboring bldgs. which may be as tall or taller. I may be wrong and it could turn out to be another 900 N. Mich. Ave. in the way it interacts with neighboring tall structures; but that bldg is still light years nicer and came out at the same time.

For those who say it looks too 80's... When did you want buildings to be put up? The year 2000 and up? NY starrted in the early 19th centry. Ew! How 19th centry of them! Lets knock them all down and start over so all our buildings can look 21st centry and all glassy! Yea, thats the way a modern city should look! How dare we build a building in the 80's that looks like an....... 80's BUILDING! LOL

Sorry, I had to say that! Back to the vue! ;-)

Archived