IN-PROGRESS: New Sakonnet River Highway Bridge

Cotuit

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought that there was concern that this new bridge would take out the old rail bridge however it doesnt appear to be the case, which is good.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just posted about this in the railroad.net thread. The Coast Guard wants the rail bridge out since it is a navigation hazard. The highway bridge won't be built in the railroad ROW though, leaving it open to replace the rail bridge when the time comes.

• 5 months later...

Another RI project that been years in the making. Are they still talking about a toll charge to transit over this work of art?

The toll proposal was squished. Construction on the project has actually started. The Rt 138 overpass is being replaced to fit the new alignment. Crews began some road work this week.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What happened to RIDOT's study to implement commuter rail from Newport to Fall River and to replace the railroad bridge? They have the study up on their website yet I haven't heard much about it at all.

That was dependent on MBTA extending commuter rail through Taunton and into Fall River. They hit a snag on some wetlands along the route as far as I heard. There was some resistance in Newport County regarding the rail - increased development, etc. I think the commuter rail is dead in my opinion.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Holy ****! :shok: Just when you thought you've seen just about everything concerning construction projects, along comes a bridge with an integrated LED lighting scheme that allows the bridge to constantly change its color! This Windows Media file comes straight from the DOT website:

http://www.dot.state.ri.us/engineering/sak/SakWeb.wmv

Or, you can go to http://www.dot.state.ri.us, and then click on the link for the "Parsons Brickenhoff" clip at the bottom of the page.

You gotta wonder what people are going to say about this new bridge if they actually put the LED lighting scheme as shown in the video :blink:

That's pretty cool! It would really help to liven up what is otherwise a rather ho-hum design.

Hopefully costs on this project don't get too out of control. This sort of aesthetic enhancement would be a logical thing to eliminate if cost-cutting becomes necessary.

I hope that does make it to the final product, it's wicked pissah and indeed does spice up a rather boring design.

that is awesome, did they already start, cause i was in little compton and in north tiverton today and there was a lot of construction all over the place.

They have started to build the new approach road on the Tiverton side. The new bridge will be just south of the old one, so the highway has to be shifted accordingly, and all the roadwork around the intersection of rts. 24 and 138 is for that.

They've also been driving test piles in the river on the Portsmouth side, but that work is much less apparent.

They have started to build the new approach road on the Tiverton side. The new bridge will be just south of the old one, so the highway has to be shifted accordingly, and all the roadwork around the intersection of rts. 24 and 138 is for that.

They've also been driving test piles in the river on the Portsmouth side, but that work is much less apparent.

yea i went down to little compton yesterday and on the way back through tiverton it was ridiculous the construction around 24 and 138.

I think this will definitely make it through the process if nobody makes a huge deal about it. The wonderful thing about LEDs is that they are cheap to install and cheap to power. I'm sure if tried, the argument that this could eventually save on the cost of lighting the bridge wouldn't be far off the mark. Of course that depends on what other lighting options were considered but anyway. YAY!!!!!! Why aren't we throwing these on I-way?!?!

I think this will definitely make it through the process if nobody makes a huge deal about it. The wonderful thing about LEDs is that they are cheap to install and cheap to power. I'm sure if tried, the argument that this could eventually save on the cost of lighting the bridge wouldn't be far off the mark. Of course that depends on what other lighting options were considered but anyway. YAY!!!!!! Why aren't we throwing these on I-way?!?!

This reminds me of a post a while back by someone was working on a project to light the web of highway exits and entrances around the intersection of I-95 and Route 6. To my mind, a great idea--especially if done with LEDs.

Anyone else remember that post? able to find it? Can't seem to myself.

• 7 months later...

Sakonnet Railroad Bridge Goes BOOM! [2/9/07 NDN]

:yahoo: If anyone's been to Tiverton Harbor on a boat, you know why I'm happy. Going through that bridge was like paddling through the rapids. Even still, it is sad to see a rail crossing disappear. Although Deval has promised the FR/NB T extensions are on his priority list, an extension to Newport is a ways away. So I'm not so sad about this one!

The $1.6 million demolition project makes way for construction of a new bridge over the Sakonnet River between Portsmouth and Tiverton.

The old railroad bridge, which was built in 1899 by the Pennsylvania Steel Co. and carried passenger and freight trains on the Old Colony & Newport Railroad, had been out of service since the early 1980s. It was left in the "open" position to allow for navigation up the Sakonnet River, but the U.S. Coast Guard considered the bridge to be an obstruction to navigation and supported its removal.

The bridge was one of three swing bridges remaining in Rhode Island and served the railroad during its busiest period, the summers of 1912 and 1913, according to the DOT. At that time, 24 trains a day departed Newport, and the Boston-to-Newport run was very popular. The line also carried two freight trains a day and special excursions and private charters for the owners of Newport's mansions and estates on Bellevue Avenue and Ocean Drive.

A piece of the bridge will live on, however: A 24-inch wide phosphor-bronze center bearing - which the entire 251-foot swing span turned on - was saved by the DOT and given to the Portsmouth Historical Society, which plans to exhibit the bearing.

Archived