One Library Circle, San Diego

Allan

One%20library%20Circle%20for%20web.jpg

Another condo tower for San Diego! This one is One Library Circle, located at the northeast corner of Park Boulevard & K Street. It includes 118 condos & 17,000 square feet of retail space. It will be 480 feet tall, 20 feet short of SD's current height limit. Construction could begin in June 2004, & be completed in 2006

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An interesting looking building and nice addition to the skyline. I hope SD pick's an area where they can build some taller buildings so their skyline does not begin to look flat. I have heard there are airport issues, but there must be a place somewhere?

Unfortuantely, San Diego's airport prevents any building downtown from reaching over 500 feet. Even in the southern part of downtown where the planes do not fly the height limits are still 500 feet in case there has to be an emegency maneuver by one of the planes. I've heard that San Diego is in the process of selecting a site for a new airport, and that all height limits downtown will be lifted in 2007. I hope that is the case - San Diego could use some taller landmark towers.

Boston's skyline has a similar problem with a nearby airport resulting in many 500 and 600 foot buildings downtown, but the tallest being only ~620 feet. It appears the FAA will allow buildings up to ~700 in the case of the SST. In the Back Bay, the FAA seems to have no limit, and there are buildings near 800 feet as we all know. Very tall buildings in the Back Bay are not likely anymore as that part of the city has become so very tony and controlled by NIMBYs now.

Archived