Poplin Place

Neo

My brother sent me the link to this article posted at Charlotte.com. I personally can't wait for this development to open, mainly because it is closer to my home than neighboring Charlotte. I shop at Target quite a bit and anytime I do any shopping I must drive 25+ minutes to get to any stores I frequent. Monroe is a dying city and is the largest city in Union County, NC, one of the fastest growing counties in the entire United States. Much of Monroe is rundown and dated so getting new stores, and stores that are a little higher class than a local Wal-Mart such as Target and Pier 1 is definately an improvement to the image of Monroe. On with the article:

Developer seals deal with Target, others

Poplin Place also lures Best Buy and TJ Maxx

MARTY MINCHIN

Special Correspondent

The city of Monroe has made major headway in the countywide quest to keep Union County shoppers from spending their money in Mecklenburg County.

A developer completed deals this week that will bring large retailers including Target, Best Buy and TJ Maxx to Monroe.

The stores will be part of Poplin Place, a 400,000-square-foot outdoor shopping center on 45 acres at the corner of U.S. 74 and Carroll Street. The stores will be the only ones of their kind in Union County.

"These retailers provide Union County citizens a place to shop locally so they don't have to go to Charlotte," said Chris Plate{acute}, Monroe economic development director.

The developer plans to break ground within a week, and the grand opening will be in October 2005, said Tim Brennan, a principal with Core Properties Inc. of Charlotte, which is developing Poplin Place.

Chili's Grill and Bar, PetsMart and Ross Dress for Less also will be part of Poplin Place. Brennan said he expects Pier 1 Imports will sign on, and he has had interest from several banks and restaurants for another out-parcel on the property.

"I'm really pleased with the quality of retail owners that have come to the development so far," Brennan said. "It's worked out better than I anticipated. I think it's something that's going to be just terrific for the city of Monroe and Union County."

The shopping center will be the biggest open-air center in Monroe, Brennan said. It will be about three miles from Monroe Mall, which has slightly more than 400,000 of retail space including its out-parcels.

Brennan said retailers were interested in Monroe because it's in such a fast-growing county and because many people who live in Union County already are familiar with the stores.

"Many of these retailers look at Monroe as an extension of Charlotte, where there's already advertising out there," Brennan said.

County officials have not estimated how much sales tax and property tax revenue Poplin Place will generate, but they agree it will bring intangible benefits as well. Retail competitors are likely to follow these stores, and Plat

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do on one hand understand what big news this is for Monroe having grown up near it. Monroe hasn't seen anything like this ever. It has always been slower on the development band wagon than other metro cities. All of the growth in Union Co. has in a way ignored monroe and focused in on the western part of the county. It's great that Monroe is finally getting retail other than the crap in Monroe mall.

On the other hand, monsoon is right, this is just one more crappy development. One more strip center. I don't think this is terrible or that it will ruin the city but I wish Monroe would use the fact that development has been slower to hit it to its advantage and grow slowly and well. Monroe has tremendous potential that most outsiders don't see. Historic homes near downtown that would put 4th Warders to shame. A great little downtown ripe for redevelopment. I really think Monroe could turn into a nice little town if it played its cards right. Unfortunatly I don't see this happening as cities like Monroe are so eager for growth that they will accept any proposal that comes along.

I worry about Union Co. Great Potential, No Balls.

• 7 months later...

Target, Best Buy, Pier One, TJ Maxx, Ross, Chili's, Petsmart

here are the current closest locations of each of these stores:

Target: Matthews Township Parkway (10 Miles)

Best Buy: Independence Blvd (13 miles)

Pier 1: Matthews Township Parkway (10 miles)

TJ Maxx: Independence Blvd & Idlewild (15 Miles)

Ross: Tyvola Rd & South Blvd (20 miles)

Chili's: Sardis Rd N & Independence (12 miles)

Petsmart: Windsor Sq Dr & Independence (11 miles)

It will also have a Party City, they just added a sign. One note about the Target, it is a regular Target. Someone had mentioned that it had two entrances so I rode by there last Friday. It in fact only has ONE entrance so someone's eyes are deceiving them!

• 5 months later...

Best Buy, Target, Chili's, Pet Smart, and TJ Maxx are all open. Pier 1 looks like it is quickly approaching completion. Rack Room Shoes is also moving into a space in there. It looks like there is a lot of smaller retail space in there under construction as well. A little side note is that the Target has a Starbucks in it which is technically Union County's first Starbucks.

A little side note is that the Target has a Starbucks in it which is technically Union County's first Starbucks.

And SLOW as Christmas! It took me (I'm not joking) 22 minutes to get a Java Chip Frozen drink there. They had three people working and several people somehow got their drinks before me even though I had ordered before them. Most everyone was a bit ticked off by their service. They were forgetting items that folks had ordered and were very slow at doing anything. I'm not an avid Starbucker as I prefer other places but considering this is just about the only choice in Monroe for this type of drink I didn't have much of a choice. So warning, it may take you a lot longer than you expected if you stop by and get a latte. :blink:

And SLOW as Christmas! It took me (I'm not joking) 22 minutes to get a Java Chip Frozen drink there. They had three people working and several people somehow got their drinks before me even though I had ordered before them. Most everyone was a bit ticked off by their service. They were forgetting items that folks had ordered and were very slow at doing anything. I'm not an avid Starbucker as I prefer other places but considering this is just about the only choice in Monroe for this type of drink I didn't have much of a choice. So warning, it may take you a lot longer than you expected if you stop by and get a latte. :blink:

wow.. i guess it'll just take getting used to and eventaully it'll get faster.

• 5 months later...

Archived