Capitol Square Improvements

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm perplexed that they would tear down the Murphy Hotel when they could build the necessary space in a tower on the site of the never built Lottery HQ or where the neverbuilt Monroe Tower II was to go. I think what it comes down to is that the GA is too lazy to walk more than a few steps.

I like the Capitol Square Parkway plan though...the current condition of that area of Capitol Square is pretty lame.

The alignment of Capital Square Pkwy which basically smooths out Old 14th and Grace streets, didn't sit well with me at first, but it looks good. I just wish they'd keep Governor Street's name and make the existing Governor St. an attractive access road.

I'm perplexed that they would tear down the Murphy Hotel when they could build the necessary space in a tower on the site of the never built Lottery HQ or where the neverbuilt Monroe Tower II was to go. I think what it comes down to is that the GA is too lazy to walk more than a few steps.

I like the Capitol Square Parkway plan though...the current condition of that area of Capitol Square is pretty lame.

Coupe, as you know, I am not one of the fans of Murphy's hotel. It's an attractive facade, but its interior is sub-par. Besides, with new restrictions, I don't believe its attractive attic adornment would be allowed to remain. That's why that damned wooden shelter for years on end has been erected along the sidewalks at 8th and Broad.

When life ends, it ends! That goes for buildings as well as people.

The plans are for a building of 360,000 s/f to either replace or incorporate its facade into a new structure that would require the entire Broad Street frontage between 8th and 9th. The present parking lot at 9th and Broad could not accommodate such a building. That's my opinion!

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The gala ceremony for the Queen's visit to the reopened Capitol Building will feature food catered by Patrick O'Connell of The Inn at Little Washington, wines from Barboursville Vineyards and ale from Beer Gnome's cellars -- Legend Brewing Co.

Here's an excellent slideshow of last night's gala reopening of Jefferson's Temple on the Hill by RTD photographers.

http://media.gatewayva.com/photos/rtd/slid...gala/index.html

Looking at the final picture in the slideshow, it appears Bank Street now has one westbound lane in what until now has been a one-way eastbound artery. That could create some interesting negotiating at the corner of 9th and Bank unless the westbound lane ends before then.

Incidentally, the rejuvenated Capitol looks superb.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

You know what would make Broad Street around Capitol Square so much better? If we lit up Old City Hall like a Christmas tree at night. The lighting behind the old clock tower needs some work, and then some bright, accent lighting to make the building pop would do the trick. Something along the lines of what they've done with Philly's City Hall would be perfect.

• 2 months later...

Archived