• Atlanta
    • Charlotte
    • Richmond
    • Daytona Beach

• 4 months later...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This entire NASCAR Hall of Fame game is Charlotte's & NC's fault. By my recollection, the

developer of Beale Street (John Elkington) in the 1980's wanted to replicate that success to other southern cities using a regional theme to support an entertainment area (Charlotte, of course to be NASCAR based).

I don't know what happened to that idea (developer was quite shady....someone else probably knows more on this subject matter), but Charlotte & NC leaders should have created an area in uptown that was NASCAR themed with the Hall of Fame as a punctuation mark. Of course the image of NASCAR has changed somewhat and maybe some of the local/state leaders were reluctant at that time due to the "redneck" image of the sport.

You have to chalk it up to the France family on business strategy. They've got cities/states throwing everything but the kitchen sink their way (especially NC).

Ideally, there should have only been two cities considered (although Atlanta approached first), Daytona and Charlotte. This crap about KC being in the middle of America is all hogwash. People interested in the sport will travel wherever (it's the American way). Think about the other Hall of Fame locations...

Although, the France family has ties with KC/Interstate/Sprint...blah..blah....blah, the money and support they'll get from NC is unmatched.

Put a ribbon on it, I think they got the package they wanted from Charlotte and NC. Just look for the All Star Race to rotate with Charlotte being the stop every 3rd or 4th year for Hall of Fame inductees.

Charlotte and my truly beloved backwards thinking state (lottery for example) will pay a heavy price for having a corn cob in the @ss.

I dont know why we even put other cities on polls with Charlotte anymore. You guys are out of control.

Best ocean front city: Charlotte. Best foreign country: Charlotte. Best foreign country surrounded by water: Charlotte. Who has the most skyscrapers New York or Charlotte: Charlotte. You get the point.

I dont know why we even put other cities on polls with Charlotte anymore. You guys are out of control.

Best ocean front city: Charlotte. Best foreign country: Charlotte. Best foreign country surrounded by water: Charlotte. Who has the most skyscrapers New York or Charlotte: Charlotte. You get the point.

wow orlandonative pretty tough post to read ! I guess you are not happy with the Charlotte posters. Anywho, I think this poll has to include the cities that are up for the HofF. That is why CLT is on this poll.

Secondly, Charlotte has the most votes, not only because UP is filled with CLT posters, but because Charlotte was the "unofficial home" of Nascar thus making it the frontrunner for the HofF. That's all. I am sorry you feel the way you do about Charlotte. No one is comparing Charlotte to Manhattan.

A2

^^I am from Charlotte and I couldn't agree more. I know that is ironic, but hey, Charlotte does win like every poll. But I think Charlotte should win this poll, I am not biased towards Charlotte, I think that is where it will be.

But as far as other polls, (best southern skyscraper, best mid-sized city skyline, hottest SE city for development, which city has most potential, etc.), sometimes they are biased. (it maybe could win all of these, but not by a substantial amount like they are....)

But it's not that outta control, at least we didn't win the "who can we call the heart of the SE" poll... :thumbsup:

Daytona should be the host of the Hall of Fame. Stock car racing was created on the white sands of Daytona Beaches. Hence the nickname "The Birth Place of Speed".

Daytona is also home to the greatest and most famous stock car race in America, the "Daytona 500".

Some facts...

In December of 1947, Bill France Sr., of Daytona Beach, Fla., organized a meeting at the Streamline Hotel in town to discuss the matters facing stock car racing. France had come to Florida from Washington, D.C., years earlier and operated a local service station as well as promote events on the city's famed beach course that he often raced in himself. From that simple meeting, the National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing was born.
The first NASCAR-sanctioned race was held on Daytona's beach course Feb. 15, 1948, just two months after the organizational meeting.

Source click here

Actually, I'd like tosee it go to Daytona more than any of the other places really, it's just that Daytona is having some trouble with financing the bid, if I remember correctly.

^^Don't forget about natural disasters getting in the way..... Daytona is in the hurricane zone, Charlotte, ATL, and Richmond aren't......

^^Don't forget about natural disasters getting in the way..... Daytona is in the hurricane zone, Charlotte, ATL, and Richmond aren't......

Daytona hasn't suffered a direct hit from a hurricane in the last 100 years (source). If they are hit by a storm crossing the state, the damage that has been suffered is by residents and small building losing a couple windows or tree damage.

Hurricanes shouldn't be a factor in determining which city deserves the Hall Of Fame anyways. Daytona is the birthplace of NASCAR and should rightly be crowned the Hall of Fame.

• 2 months later...

Not being a NASCAR fan at all, or a resident of any of the cities mentioned, it seems that Charlotte is the clear choice. I can see a valid reason for having it in Daytona, but NASCAR has become Charlotte's and NC's baby. People coming to Charlotte for a race, or to see Dale Earnhardt's hometown, etc. will also want to see the NASCAR hall of fame.

Perhaps NASCAR has done something to change its image of being a redneck/country boy's endeavor, but for the most part I think a lot of people still view it as an interest of the uneducated/rural folks.

This is still a museum I truly don't see a need to be in any downtown - I think Daytona should win it & build it near their speedway. It's a tourist attraction (duh) & at best will be something to visit en route to other tourist attractions. Obviously a Florida location would be best.

That said - I don't see any allure about having this built in a downtown, Charlotte or Atlanta. Between the two - I'm not sure who has an advantage, though certainly population wise Atlanta does (assuming people don't base their views of population on abstract municipal lines).

I have probably said earlier in this thread or maybe on the one in the Charlotte forum or the Atlanta forum...I am not too thrilled about the NASCAR HOF being courted for downtown Atlanta. I know it may sound crazy.

When you see the prime piece of real estate Atlanta is about to give up, anyone would cringe at the notion of the HOF coming to town. To have this placed right on Centennial Olympic Park, in an area already laden with "attractions," yet growing in residential population, I can't see how this would be a great thing for Atlanta. I am putting my boosterism aside....because that would cause me to blindly look at the HOF and say "hey, it should go to the city of Atlanta." I myself must sit back and say....is this the best fit for Atlanta?

While a HOF would get some people downtown, it will do nothing to enhance the urban experience of the Centennial Olympic Park area. I do not want that part of town to become a ghost town after the Georgia Aquarium, World of Coca~Cola, the Children's Museum close for the evening. Yes there is CNN across the park....and of course Phillips Arena and The Georgia Dome/World Congress Center....but these places cannot carry a burgeoning COP area population. There needs to be an infusion of more residential and street level retail in the area. To me, I would much rather see a mixed use or residential tower at the proposed site with a nice restuarant with curbside dining. Now, the city leaders have said that they are trying to offer more entertainment for the hundred of thousands of conventioneers that convene each year in downtown Atlanta. Perhaps this will appeal and be a draw....but what if it isn't? Are we 100 percent sure that after a few years this HOF will not become the same as any other sporting HOF?

That is my concern. The Shedd Aquarium in Chicago has drawn millions of vistors since it's inception. It is a perennial draw. The newly opened Georgia Aquaruim has been a hit with over 400,000 people visiting since it's opening November 23rd. We can not know if the GA Aquarium will be such a favorite but chances are it will be far more successful. Will the NASCAR HOF have such a long term appeal?

This location is near the Fairlie-Poplar district which, in my opinion, is an Atlanta treasure. Georgia State is building hundreds of dorms on the eastern side of the CBD so it would only be befitting that serious residential can compliment their efforts to the west. I am not against the NASCAR HOF, I would maybe cosign quicker if it was not proposed for such a gem of a lot....right on beautiful Centennial Olympic Park.

This is a competition Atlanta does not need to win. I don't see the museum contributing to Atlanta's appeal to professionals from outside (the opposite seems at least as likely) nor improve the quality of life for those living in the city. As other have stated, this is a valuable site that could be used in more appealing ways. Along the interstate in Gwinnett (or Daytona or I-85 outside Charlotte) is where this truly belongs. Exurban and rural whites will line up for this. I think many others will laugh (or cringe, depending on your perspective).

I think Daytona is the one that deserves it the most because of its roots in racing.

If Atlanta wants a Hall of Fame, let it be something that relates to the city (Golfing and Bobby Jones are the only ones that come to mind, even though I'm almost positive they've built a Golf HOF somewhere out there at a place whose name escapes me at the moment).

Archived