Best College Football Coaches

ironchapman

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here is a pretty good link to the coaching wins contest (plus a very good link to almost everything you wanted to know about college ball past and present).

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coach...ach_records.php

enjoy!

As far as taking a team back from a slump there were many many many, if your looking at the whole history of college football. Johnny Majors the Pittsburgh and Tennessee coaching great of the 1960s through 1990s took Pitt from the basement to a Unianimous National Title in just four years in the 1970s!

Vince Dooley of UGA is probably around the top of Best/Most Winningst Athletic Directors category.

One of only three or four AD's that have served in three decades as an AD.

What about Oklahoma's coach, or Nebraska's?

satalac, you need to quit drinking that orange kool aide my man.

Paterno is the winningest active coach with tenure

Bowden is the winningest active coach (but only including his Stamford, WVU and FSU records!)

This link is updated every week and gives the most current breakdown among all divisions:

satalac, you need to quit drinking that orange kool aide my man.

Paterno is the winningest active coach with tenure

Bowden is the winningest active coach (but only including his Stamford, WVU and FSU records!)

This link is updated every week and gives the most current breakdown among all divisions:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

when talking about percentage, fulmer is the winningest active coach in the ncaa div. I now if we're talking total games won, then yes, paterno and bowden do have more wins. are you just jealous that johnny majors made more of a name for himself at ut than at pitt? j\k :P

According to the site Pgh posted:

Fulmer (Tennesee) has a winning percentage of .799

Coker (Miami) has a winning percentage of .880

Stoops (Oklahoma) has a wining percentage of .848

Switzer was .837 over 16 seasons.

Bowden was .772 over 39 seasons.

Paterno was .746 over 39 seasons.

Bryant was .780 over 38 seasons.

Fulmer is good, no denying that, but his name really shouldn't be brought up when talking about Best College Football Coaches.

According to the site Pgh posted:

Fulmer (Tennesee) has a winning percentage of .799

Coker (Miami) has a winning percentage of .880

Stoops (Oklahoma) has a wining percentage of .848

Switzer was .837 over 16 seasons.

Bowden was .772 over 39 seasons.

Paterno was .746 over 39 seasons.

Bryant was .780 over 38 seasons.

Fulmer is good, no denying that, but his name really shouldn't be brought up when talking about Best College Football Coaches.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

bleh, stoops has been there for 6 years and coker has been there for 4. fulmer has been at ut for 13. i find that to be more impressive. that and my blood runs orange. :D

Satalac, Majors was a Tennessee boy so we were lucky to have him at Pitt . . . it's a shame he could never take the Vols to a National Title let alone a unamious national title (in his 4th year no less),

0110_large.jpg

its also a shame that when he got some health problems the Vols nation threw him out the window like a rented mule and he "CAME HOME" to finish his legendary coaching career at the school he said later he "should have never left" ;)  Tennessee got some great years with Majors, unfortunately they never got what Pitt got from him, a unamious National Title and his ascension into legend status

1108_large.jpg

and his final seaons as a coaching legend.  And oh lots of love and unconditional fan support.  Sad how he ended up leaving Knoxville.

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette peice on Lee Majors the actor:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04180/338553.stm

by the way the hotlink isn't working to the subsite but just scroll down the main page and click "coaching records" it really is the most extensive site on the net I've ever found (and I have a collection of very detailed sport stat sites if anyone wants them).

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

haha, yeah, i know, i was just messing with you. i'm a ut fan, what do you expect? :D knoxville wasn't too nice to majors. i always liked the guy. couldn't win like fulmer has, but i do think he was a good coach. he did do some great things at pitt. the bad thing about bringing a team around like he did, is that you don't get the same recognition as you would if you have a long winning record at one school. he definatly got a bum deal and should be treated a lot better than he has been in the past. btw, that's a great site you found. it is really extensive.

Cooker dosnt belong on this argument. Cooker took over a Miami that just one the National Title. Come on anyone that can call plays can take over at miami. they dont even have to recriute, the players just come. Oklahoma is the same, and anyway, the last time Cooker played Fulmer the Vols upset the Canes in Miami and broke some amazing win streak. Miami was heavily favored, if you watch film Tennessee was much more physical. Fulmer also called the game winning play at the end of the first half. They ran on forth down instead of settling for a field goal. Without this extremly gutsy call they would have lost. Cooker dosnt belong in this arguemnt as long as Fulmer dosnt.

Cooker dosnt belong on this argument. Cooker took over a Miami that just one the National Title. Come on anyone that can call plays can take over at miami. they dont even have to recriute, the players just come. Oklahoma is the same, and anyway, the last time Cooker played Fulmer the Vols upset the Canes in Miami and broke some amazing win streak. Miami was heavily favored, if you watch film Tennessee was much more physical. Fulmer also called the game winning play at the end of the first half. They ran on forth down instead of settling for a field goal. Without this extremly gutsy call they would have lost. Cooker dosnt belong in this arguemnt as long as Fulmer dosnt.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

rocky top, you'll always be, home sweet home for me................... :D

Bobby Bowden all the way!!!! This is a no brainer peeps!!! :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just be careful when comparing him to Paterno . . . Paterno did it year in and year out every year for almost 40 now in Happy Valley.

Bowden jumped from Stamford (took a decade off) then to Morgantown for the Mountaineers (and Pitt beat him nicely those years lol) then finally FSU.

Bowden is a great coach but his level of accomplishment is not equivalent to what Paterno has pulled off at only one school all those years.

I am no UPS (yes it is PSU but then you have morons that choose PSU over U. of Pittsburgh and call it University of Penn State, only thing is brown CAN'T deliver . . . through the ground nor the air lol. UPS! . . . anyways enough of my Pitt vs. PennSt. and Pitt vs. WVU rant), no UPS fan here just giving Paterno his due.

Paterno will ALWAYS be reviled in the w. part of the state for not putting his foot down and insisting the Pitt-PennSt. rivalry (one of the longest most storied in all of sports) not continue into the new milennium. So yes like NYC with the mets/yankees . . . much of W. Pa. is Are you a UPS fan or a Pitt fan? during football season.

Anyways Bowden hasn't pulled off what Paterno has so yes he has won more games but if Paterno started in the 1950s at a minor school and hopped around gaining his name he might have another 100 victories to his credit by now.

Then again if Paterno would have come out of that cow college to a real school like Pitt he would be even further ahead of the all-time win sets!

Still think Johnny Majors was the best all time (from 1-9 in 1972 to 11-0 in 1976 and a national title AND Heisman winner in just 4 years!). GO PITT!

_p2.gif

I put Coker in there just to disprove the point that Fulmer doesn't have the highest winning percentage. Was that so hard to figure out? Maybe for a volunteer...

Not so much my man. In Fulmers first ten years as a coach he had either the highest or the second highest winning percentage of any head coach, and the national championship. That is what people are confused about. Its his first ten year. It also would have been MUCH higher if Spurier wasnt there. We would have owned college football for a decade if we didnt have to lose to Florida EVERY SINGLE YEAR! I also just hate Miami.

I put Coker in there just to disprove the point that Fulmer doesn't have the highest winning percentage.  Was that so hard to figure out?  Maybe for a volunteer...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it's hard to do math when you're busy winning all the time. :D

Archived