Best College Football Coaches

ironchapman

^^There are some who are wondering if Wanny was the right choice, no one wants Harris back, he's a good coach but can't get over the "hump". Also the Oline and Dlines were depleted (the last few seasons were a "golden era" but no big guys to replace them on the line) if you look at the stats you'll notice that, Tyler Palko is the best QB in the Big East, one of the top 20 in the nation, but is getting sacked and hurried more then almost any other Division I QB. There are some standouts on Pitt but you need all 11 horses.

Also besides the ND game opening the season Pitt's 4 losses were all by a field goal or less, Pitt could have easily been 7-1 if the ball had bounced three other ways.

Like any first year campaign Wanny is changing philosphies (Harris was a pass and play action coach, Wanny more a run it out, big lineman, strong D coach), basically Pitt is having some growing pains right now.

Good news is they are on a 3 game winning streak!!! And get this one, just like last years VERY SLOW start (Harris won the BigEast but started 1-3 I believe), Pitt still has a chance to win the Big East Conference, they will if they win the next 3 games, and have a chance if they go 2-1.

Pitt in a second consecutive BCS bowl baby yeah!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fulmer, Schmulmer. Fill up (at the buffet) Fulmer's daddy, Steve Spurrier, is now back in the SEC as coach of my Gamecocks. Carolina 15 Tennessee 14. 'Nuff said.

Waccamatt, I have never said that Spurrier is not a good coach. I don't know that I given any opinion about him on this thread. As long as Carolina only wins once in every twelve years they'll be happy, I always say. Hey, Spurrier even beat Tennessee with a Duke team. If you want him, you deserve him. If he makes Carolina a power, all's the better for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Mith,

Nebraska getting 5 downs at Missouri is another example.

I'm no Nebraska fan but never should Tom Osborne or Nebraska (they were too much of a class act) be credited with that win--Colorado was the culprit with Bill McCartney at the helm and he had the gall to whine the next day to the Denver press that the problem with Colorado's inability to beat Missouri legally was Missouri's turf.

A few years later Nebraska had a kick in the end zone that resulted in a last second touchdown and win at Missouri.

Perhaps the confusion arises that the press only shows Missouri's bad luck when losing at the last second under impossible circumstances for the opposing team.

• 7 months later...

If you scroll half way down the page (available via the following link) to the area entitled " Major College All-Time Coach Rankings" I believe it says it all.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coach...ach_records.php

I agree with the ranking that Paul Bear Bryant is the best coach of all time, his winning percentage against strength of schedule is striking. I do however believe Joe Paterno is a very close second. On three ocassions, that come to mind, Paterno could have easily one additional national titles during the undefeated seasons of 68, 69 and 94, these years should have produced at least one if not two extra national championships. In two of the three seasons PSU was seemingly shafted for political reasons; after having two consecutive undefeated seasons, rather than giving the title to a Penn State team that was arguably one of the best defensive teams of all time, President Richard Nixon (after watching the Cotton Bowl) declared Texas as the national champions, the AP poll followed the lead and handed the title to Texas. Oddly enough in 94 with one of the highest scoring Offensive teams in College football history (rivaled only by the 2004 USC team) Penn State lost the National title, in many PSU fans eyes, as a result of Tom Osbornes swan song year, with the National Championship going to Nebraska. Anyway with two more National Championships Paterno would place only a couple points below the bear. As for Bowden, I believe he is a distant third based on strength of schedule. I think it is safe to say that Bobby does not have as many division I-A victories as Paterno; while at Sanford he was playing the likes of Maryville, Sewanee, Tennesee Tech Freshmen, and Gordon Junior College as well as several more unknowns. During the Samford years Bowden picked up thirty one wins. As for head to head matchups, Bowden has faced Paterno eight times and lost seven of the eight games. I will admit that I am a Penn State fan but the record speaks for itself. I do believe at this stage of there careers neither have much to do with there wins or losses with both having handed much of the control of there teams to the assistants. It's interesting how both have been critized for handing too much control of their teams over to each of there respective sons, it looks like Joe may have corrected the problem in Happy Valley by giving the Offensive coordinator (Galen Hall) full control over the offence, it'll be interesting to see if Bobby makes some similar corrections at FSU. As we the fans bicker over who's the better of the two greats both Paterno and Bowden outwardly at least seem to have little concern for the topic. It's nice to see that both of them hold the highest respect for each other and are also very close from a personal standpoint, not only are Joe and Bobby close but apparently both families have been getting together to meet for many years as well. Regardless of who is number two on the list of greats, it's wonderful to still be able to watch the two legends walk the sidelines for a while longer continuing to bring class from an era that has nearly past.

Mike Shula, without a doubt.

If you scroll half way down the page (available via the following link) to the area entitled " Major College All-Time Coach Rankings" I believe it says it all.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coach...ach_records.php

I agree with the ranking that Paul Bear Bryant is the best coach of all time, his winning percentage against strength of schedule is striking. I do however believe Joe Paterno is a very close second. On three ocassions, that come to mind, Paterno could have easily one additional national titles during the undefeated seasons of 68, 69 and 94, these years should have produced at least one if not two extra national championships. In two of the three seasons PSU was seemingly shafted for political reasons; after having two consecutive undefeated seasons, rather than giving the title to a Penn State team that was arguably one of the best defensive teams of all time, President Richard Nixon (after watching the Cotton Bowl) declared Texas as the national champions, the AP poll followed the lead and handed the title to Texas. Oddly enough in 94 with one of the highest scoring Offensive teams in College football history (rivaled only by the 2004 USC team) Penn State lost the National title, in many PSU fans eyes, as a result of Tom Osbornes swan song year, with the National Championship going to Nebraska. Anyway with two more National Championships Paterno would place only a couple points below the bear. As for Bowden, I believe he is a distant third based on strength of schedule. I think it is safe to say that Bobby does not have as many division I-A victories as Paterno; while at Sanford he was playing the likes of Maryville, Sewanee, Tennesee Tech Freshmen, and Gordon Junior College as well as several more unknowns. During the Samford years Bowden picked up thirty one wins. As for head to head matchups, Bowden has faced Paterno eight times and lost seven of the eight games. I will admit that I am a Penn State fan but the record speaks for itself. I do believe at this stage of there careers neither have much to do with there wins or losses with both having handed much of the control of there teams to the assistants. It's interesting how both have been critized for handing too much control of their teams over to each of there respective sons, it looks like Joe may have corrected the problem in Happy Valley by giving the Offensive coordinator (Galen Hall) full control over the offence, it'll be interesting to see if Bobby makes some similar corrections at FSU. As we the fans bicker over who's the better of the two greats both Paterno and Bowden outwardly at least seem to have little concern for the topic. It's nice to see that both of them hold the highest respect for each other and are also very close from a personal standpoint, not only are Joe and Bobby close but apparently both families have been getting together to meet for many years as well. Regardless of who is number two on the list of greats, it's wonderful to still be able to watch the two legends walk the sidelines for a while longer continuing to bring class from an era that has nearly past.

Yea, for past coaches, "Bear" Bryant is one legend that will NEVER be beat.

I vote for the coach at my alma mater... Joe Paterno of Penn State. After everybody wrote him off... he comes back with a 1-loss season and a win over FSU in a BCS bowl. And they were only seconds away (and a questionable call) from a perfect season and shot at the National Championship.

I never knew John Majors coached at Tennessee... Weird.

Mack Brown...it may look biased :shades:

I would have to agree with you on that but only half-heartedly. He did a great job when he was at UNC. He brought some respect and great talent to the school. The biggest thing he did was not go down to Florida a recruit. He kept those homegrown talents in state. The only loss was to FSU his final year to end up 11-1. There are a lot of NFL players that came from his tenure at UNC. It hurt when he stiff armed us and ran for the money. He could have won a national championsip at UNC. NC produces great talent. Now all I can say is Mack Brown sucks......... :angry:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived