other than Atl best skyline in GA.

jervais

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Purely based on skyline (= tall buildings), I think Augusta wins this one. But, based on the overall composition of downtown, Savannah is the nicest IMO. It doesn't have as many taller buildings, but it has such gorgeous density (the wall of buildings along the river is what does it for me).

Savannah does not have much of a skyline either, it is an attractive city, but does not have skyline. I lived in augusta for 8 years.. it has a skyline, but I do not think worth mentioning. Macon does have a a number of tall building in downtown. So, of the three mentioned, I would say Macon.

Columbus has the most modern buildings of all with AFLAC, Synovus, TSYS, Carmike Cinemas, and the Government Center. No other GA city has buildings like this. Savannah is nice, but there is nothing tall that stands out. Augusta is OK, but there is nothing that stands out either. Macon has good skyline and is probably the best of the GA cities. If Columbus had all of its buildings together downtown, then Columbus would win hands down. Unfortunately, all of the taller buildings are spread out.

I think 10-15 years from now savannah will have two downtowns one on hutchinson Island and one in the historic district. They have alot of plans to build a few more tall buildings along with shops and residential areas on the island across from downtown. Also, I think the density of the buildings in the Historic district is amazing. If you really look at the development they are doing down there along with SCAD taking over downtown it feels light a little New York or DC with the coffee shops and stores that most cities Savannah's size doesn't have downtown....what do you guys think?

I think 10-15 years from now savannah will have two downtowns one on hutchinson Island and one in the historic district.  They have alot of plans to build a few more tall buildings along with shops and residential areas on the island across from downtown.  Also, I think the density of the buildings in the Historic district is amazing.  If you really look at the development they are doing down there along with SCAD taking over downtown it feels light a little New York or DC with the coffee shops and stores that most cities Savannah's size doesn't have downtown....what do you guys think?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would agree. There is already a second Skyline forming on Hutchinson Island with the Westin (very nice hotel BTW). It's rarely included in pictures of DT Savannah.

I think Augusta has generally the tallest DT outside of Atlanta metro. Columbus has

AFLAC and that is not Downtown. Here is a list of the tallest buildings in Augusta.

Port Royal Condos-18 floors

Wachovia Tower-18 Floors

Lamar Building-17 floors

DT apartment (not sure on name)- 15 floors

Maxwell House Apartments-12 floors

Ramada Hotel (Not sure if it is still Ramada)- 12 floors

Raddison Hotel 10-12 floors (not exactly sure)

Trust Company Bank-11 floors

Municipal Building-11 floors (I think)

and there are several other buildings in the 5-9 floor range but not sure on the names.

The Medical District has its own small skyline with the University Hospital (2 towers like 10-11 floors each). MCG Hospitals which are like 8-10 floors. VA Hospital which is 7-8 floors. Several other midrise office buildings, Womens Center hosptal, the New Cancer research center, and several butt-ugly 1960's apartment towers like the Peabody Towers (11 floors) and another (8-9 floor) one nearby.

North Augusta is about to get its own mini-midrise skyline right across the river with that new development Topher posted. Looks like a few 5-6 floor buildings and perhaps a new Hotel?

Hopefully they will get started on the new 19-20 floor Judicial Center too...but knowing Augusta it could take several years.

Other buildings in the Augusta area (outside of Downtown) are the 10 floor (I think) Bon-Aire Hotel, the BEAUTIFUL 5-6 floor Partridge Inn right across the street from that (not a highrise but it is a stunner!), Doctors Hosptal in the Burbs is like 8-9 floors and there are a few midrises (office and hotels in the 4-5 floor range) around the hospital. There are also a few 6-7 floor apartments scattered around (Lake Olmestead and the south end of Laney Walker which is actually a project.)

I dont think the Uptown Division of VA is highrise, i havent been there in a while. They did have an (11 floor) hospital near Wrightsboro Road but demolished it over a decade ago.

Eisenhower Hospital at Gordon is 13 floors (but I think they call it 14) and Signal Towers is 9 floors i think. Some more midrises at Gordon too in the 5-8 floor range but nothing special. .

I do think savannah will have two skylines one day. You know they are doing so much redevelopment DT more people are moving DT so it brings alot of culture to Savannah's DT Unlike most Ga cities. Hands down we have the most active and upbeat DT than any other city in GA outside of ATL.

Has Augusta built any new buildings lately? I know that if you go downtown Savannah you will See at Least 3 Cranes downtown. Also, you know Savannah has a height restriction in the Historic Distric.

Augusta's DT looks good from a distant but there tallest building is funny looking up close.

How do you post pics?

Has Augusta built any new buildings lately?  I know that if you go downtown Savannah you will See at Least 3 Cranes downtown.  Also, you know Savannah has a height restriction in the Historic Distric. 

Augusta's DT looks good from a distant but there tallest building is funny looking up close.

How do you post pics?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the best views of the Augusta skyline are from either Gordon Highway or at several strategic areas in the Hill neighborhood (Like from atop the Bon-Aire). Coming in from North Augusta it doesnt seem too impressive.

Nothing new in Augusta since the early 90's when Port Royal went up. I think the Raddison Hotel came in the mid-90's and there are a few cranes in the Medical District but they are midrises (5 floors max) and that is nothing new for that area.

Augusta does have a nice skyline. Any pics of it?

By the way, emporis is a generally good site to visit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Check out these threads:

Augusta, Jo-Ja Photos, Part I: Downtown

Augista, Jo-Ja photos, Part II: Riverwalk, MCG

The first thread has a skyline shot near the top of the series.

How do you post pics?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please read this thread about image posting. If you have any questions after that, please let me know! :)

Some of Columbus's tall buildings.

AFLAC HQ (20 floors). Couldn't find a picture of their new building.

http://img57.echo.cx/my.php?image=corpoverviewhq2ys.jpg

Government Center (14 floors)

http://img72.echo.cx/my.php?image=governme...tersmall3fz.jpg

Columbus Regional Medical Center (12 floors)

http://img140.echo.cx/my.php?image=medicalcenter5wd.gif

Wyndham Hotel (8 floors)

http://img150.echo.cx/my.php?image=csgcob1a3he.jpg

Synovus HQ along the Columbus riverwalk (6 floors)

http://img31.echo.cx/my.php?image=downtown3qt.jpg

TSYS HQ (3 buildings with 5 floors 1,000,000 sq. ft. of office space)

http://img203.echo.cx/my.php?image=tsys0it.jpg

These are just a few of the buildings in Columbus that I could find pictures of. There are a few more buildings DT like Corporate Center at 10 or 11 floors, some retirement building at 10 floors, Suntrust at 8 or 9 floors and Carmike Cinemas HQ with 8 floors. There is some new construction DT with Columbus State University's DT campus (buildings from 2-5 floors) and the Amos Cancer Center (4 or 5 floors). Nothing tall coming in anytime soon. There are plans of a new DT hotel. Phenix City across the river has plans for a few condo/office buildings around 7 or 8 floors. Sooner or later something big will be built in DT Columbus.

Archived