other than Atl best skyline in GA.

jervais

Im not suprised by that statement Marcusparkus....alot of people have the same opinions on Augusta as you.

Downtown definately needs help but its not as bad as many other cities Ive seen about the same size. There are some interesting things going on down there too. Hopefully the new Judicial Center and the new Condos planned for Reynolds street on the Riverfront will add some height to the DT skyline.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Savannah's skyline is the BEST. Yes, Augusta's is a bit larger, but certainly not as pretty. To me, Savannah shimmers with life while Augusta merely looks sicker every time I glance at it...Sorry, the "Hill" is about the only nice place I can think of in Augusta, so perhaps I'm a bit biased.

In regard to Augusta looking sicker, I agree. But like Socaguy says, we're trying man.

I dont think it is actually looking sicker. Afterall Downtown Augusta has made large strides in revitalizing its streets. Broad street has been transformed from a sleepy main street with antique shops and wig stores to a semi-bustling (especially at night) avenue with cafes, coffee shops, clubs and bars. Higher end retail is the next step and businesses are scrambling to find any avialable space left to open shop. Also, look at the Riverwalk area. Cafes and shops, a new Science museum, History Museum, 18 floor condo, 2 midrise hotels, and office building, Augusta commons park, the amphitheater, and the Georgia Golf hall of Fame and Botanical gardens have made this once eyesore area into a thriving section of DT in the past 15 years.

The next part of DT to be hot will be the Canal area, near Walton Way, which is getting a new Judicial Center building. Plans are for mixed use developments with lots of residential to go along the canal.

I dont think Augusta is looker sicker, in fact it is looking more healthy IMO. But it does have a ways to go to catch up to similarly sized cities like Columbia and Greenville, (look what they have done to their DT area!)

I dont think it is actually looking sicker. Afterall Downtown Augusta has made large strides in revitalizing its streets. Broad street has been transformed from a sleepy main street with antique shops and wig stores to a semi-bustling (especially at night) avenue with cafes, coffee shops, clubs and bars. Higher end retail is the next step and businesses are scrambling to find any avialable space left to open shop. Also, look at the Riverwalk area. Cafes and shops, a new Science museum, History Museum, 18 floor condo, 2 midrise hotels, and office building, Augusta commons park, the amphitheater, and the Georgia Golf hall of Fame and Botanical gardens have made this once eyesore area into a thriving section of DT in the past 15 years.

The next part of DT to be hot will be the Canal area, near Walton Way, which is getting a new Judicial Center building. Plans are for mixed use developments with lots of residential to go along the canal.

I dont think Augusta is looker sicker, in fact it is looking more healthy IMO. But it does have a ways to go to catch up to similarly sized cities like Columbia and Greenville, (look what they have done to their DT area!)

You know, I never thought I'd see the day that the area around Walton Way and 8th and 9th Streets would come back, but I think it's finally here. I keep waiting to hear if that new condo development beside St. Paul's Episcopal is really going to happen. Now that would be a huge step for downtown!

Let's see, if I had tp list Atlanta's best skyline other than Atlanta's I would say....

1) Savannah - sheer density, the historic feel and grid layout are priceless. Being next to the water also adds charm and distinction.

2) Perimeter Center - not quite one city (part is in the city of Sandy Springs and part is in unincorporated DeKalb county). Not as dense as Savannah but the sheer fact that it has over 22 million square feet of office space and highrise residential is amazing. The tallest suburban buildings in the US are located here. Hey, you guys did say other than Atlanta, lol.

3) Augusta - nice skyline. It's not as small as some of us Atlantans think.

4) Platinum Triangle - this is technically Symrna. Not quite their downtown area but the buildings along side I-75 and I-285 give the sense of a true skyline.

5) Macon - I think it is overlooked sometimes because it doesn't have such tall buildings. This city has so much potential. Great major interstate access and nice downtown character. With the right development, this could be a transit haven. As a matter of fact, if I was part of the powers that be in Macon, I would try to make transit the one thing that makes this city stand out from the rest of the state.

Let's see, if I had tp list Atlanta's best skyline other than Atlanta's I would say....

1) Savannah - sheer density, the historic feel and grid layout are priceless. Being next to the water also adds charm and distinction.

2) Perimeter Center - not quite one city (part is in the city of Sandy Springs and part is in unincorporated DeKalb county). Not as dense as Savannah but the sheer fact that it has over 22 million square feet of office space and highrise residential is amazing. The tallest suburban buildings in the US are located here. Hey, you guys did say other than Atlanta, lol.

3) Augusta - nice skyline. It's not as small as some of us Atlantans think.

4) Platinum Triangle - this is technically Symrna. Not quite their downtown area but the buildings along side I-75 and I-285 give the sense of a true skyline.

5) Macon - I think it is overlooked sometimes because it doesn't have such tall buildings. This city has so much potential. Great major interstate access and nice downtown character. With the right development, this could be a transit haven. As a matter of fact, if I was part of the powers that be in Macon, I would try to make transit the one thing that makes this city stand out from the rest of the state.

Agreed. There is something about Savannah that just sets it apart. As well, Sandy Springs area is quite impressive. It's actually kind of pathetic to think that Augusta's skyline get's beat by suburban Atlanta, but oh well.

Agreed. There is something about Savannah that just sets it apart. As well, Sandy Springs area is quite impressive. It's actually kind of pathetic to think that Augusta's skyline get's beat by suburban Atlanta, but oh well.

Well look at it like this....had the other of the thread said other than Atlanta and it's edge cities, what city has the best skyline in Georgia, Augusta would be number 2. I first saw Augusta maybe 4 years ago. I was truly amazed. Having lived in Georgia (Metro Atlanta) for as long as I had, I had always imagined it smaller. Same goes for Columbus. I was pleasantly surprised by both. I first saw Columbus this past December. Sad that I have been to locales out state more than ones in state.

Same goes for Columbus. I was pleasantly surprised by both. I first saw Columbus this past December. Sad that I have been to locales out state more than ones in state.

Always nice to hear that someone is "pleasantly" surprised by Columbus. I really think that if more Atlantans got out and about in the "hinterlands" that they would find it an enjoyable (and educational experience). I cannot quite understand why Columbus, Macon and Augusta dont view Atlanta as a source of visitors and advertise on TV and in the AJC. Seems to work very well for Chattanooga. I have noticed a few TV ads for CSU and apparently a large number of students enrolled there are from Atlanta. But relying on students and "word of mouth" advertising -- tho admittedly inexpensive -- is a pretty ineffective means of advertising in the modern world. I suppose it is possible that advertising will become more of a priority if and when there is a major draw -- like the Tenneessee Aquarium. If so, then the tipping point for Columbus will come when the Infantry Museum (recently under construction) and/or white water (still awating funding) come on line. At that point, Columbus should have enough "draws" to make it an interesting tourist site: in addition to the museum, whitewater, there will be Civil War Naval Museum (great undervisited site), OxBow Meadows (the walkway thru the tree tops is super), Space Center/Planetarium, art museum, Springer, Liberty theater (restored African American vaudeville theater) and the developing cafe/bar scene DT (the Loft, etc). To name a few. At any rate, I hope that Columbus (and Macon and Augusta) will be pleasantly surprising more and more folks in the future!

Although Savannah is a very beautiful city, at least in certain parts, I would not say that it has a skyline. There are only three or so stand-out buildings in the city. Columbus is similar, but with less beauty, except it has one tall building. I have not seen Augusta's "skyline" up close, so I cant make a judgement there, but recently I visited downtown Macon, and to my surprise, I was very impressed with its skyline. From I-16, the skyline looks dirty and run-down, but in the downtown, there are more taller buildings that cannot be seen from the expressway, and there are several hills that add to the visual of the skyline. I would vote for Macon as the next best skyline outside of the Atlanta area.

Although Savannah is a very beautiful city, at least in certain parts, I would not say that it has a skyline. There are only three or so stand-out buildings in the city. Columbus is similar, but with less beauty, except it has one tall building. I have not seen Augusta's "skyline" up close, so I cant make a judgement there, but recently I visited downtown Macon, and to my surprise, I was very impressed with its skyline. From I-16, the skyline looks dirty and run-down, but in the downtown, there are more taller buildings that cannot be seen from the expressway, and there are several hills that add to the visual of the skyline. I would vote for Macon as the next best skyline outside of the Atlanta area.

That actually is a major disadvantage for Macon's skyline, bcause of the hills you can enjoy it from a far. U have to be pretty much downtown to see it for the moment (until we get some taller buildings) The new Med Center building thats being built is actually slowly making its way into the skyline. Although its no where near as pretty as Savannahs skline, imo it looks more like a city skylinethan anyone elses outside of Atlanta (Area).

Columbus actually has two skyscrapers AFLAC (20 stories) and the Government Center (14 or 15 stories but looks much taller)

Columbus actually has two skyscrapers AFLAC (20 stories) and the Government Center (14 or 15 stories but looks much taller)

In macon the three main buildings are Fickling & Co. Building, BB&T Tower, and Crowne Plaza Hotel. Out of these three, the Crowne is the shortest at 17 stories. The new addition to the MCCG wont be too far behind these. Not to mention other older and and less noticeable buildings downtown or the other two 15 story buildings located outside of dowtown Macon.

Savannah has some nice buildings but the landscape seems too flat to give them justice. Many of them hide behind each other unnoticable. I would still vote for Macon though although the justice of its skyline can only be seen from within and not from the interstate.

• 2 weeks later...

A few shots of the Augusta skyline from this weekend...

The Broad Street cluster (with the site for 2 proposed new condo towers in the foreground)

BroadSt.jpg

The skyline from the 5th St. bridge.

FifthSt.jpg

From the medical district.

skyline.jpg

And finally a distant shot from North Augusta. The medical district midrise skyline can be seen in the distance on the right.

SCROLL ----->

NApan.jpg

I didn't get any shots of the full medical district, but here's a portion of MCG. Other notable buildings in this district are the University Hospital towers (8-10 floors), as well as a smaller hospital complex and some 60's block-styled apartments.

mcg.jpg

^ Nice shots. I always thought the view coming down Carolina Avenue when it runs into Georgia Avenue in North Augusta is one of the best views of town. It looks incredible at night. Some goes for the area around teh Partridge Inn.

I wouldn't count cities in suburban Atlanta in this debate, because they are still in Atlanta for all intents and purposes.

That second to last picture of Augusta is the best one of its skyline I've ever seen. apparantly its hard to get a good angle of it. Greenville has a similar situation, though not quite as bad.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

No No No a skyline consist of tall buildings, and savannah or columbus does not fit in this area, but macon and augusta is the only two cities in ga other cities outside atlanta that should even be compared with skylines.

Purely based on skyline (= tall buildings), I think Augusta wins this one. But, based on the overall composition of downtown, Savannah is the nicest IMO. It doesn't have as many taller buildings, but it has such gorgeous density (the wall of buildings along the river is what does it for me).

hey i really have to agree with skylines= tall buildings, a skyline consist of tall buildings, and savannah or columbus does not fit in this area, but macon and augusta is the only two cities in ga other cities outside atlanta that should even be compared with skylines.

Augusta has a nice skyline. I would vote for Macon second and Augusta third.

I have to agree Macon has the best skyline outside of Atlanta and Augusta would come in third. But in a few years its going to be hard because both of those cities has a lot of development planned for there downtowns, like condos, hotels and office complexes.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived