Vistas On The James

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new 19-story condo tower on the canal walk at the Turning Basin will be called Vistas on the James.

http://www.vistasonthejames.com/

The site is up but it has no information or renderings as of yet. Good to know this thing is really gonna happen!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wrldcoup, if you will go to RCW's Photo Gallery, punch in "Renderings" and go to the third image, you'll see a "Capital Landing Alternative" for the Vistas project. Maybe Ryan would allow you to post it here. God knows, I haven't the remotest idea of how to do it!

are you referring to this one Burt?

canal_landing_rend1.jpg

I remember this being a rendering for the canal landing project which was to go where the Vistas will go, but I would think Daniel would design something different....?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No. The rendering to which I refer is quite modern. As I said, it's in Ryan's photo gallery titled RENDERINGS. I did the descriptions under each image.

I think the vista is a nice looking building, I hope people move into there. Alot of people are scared to move into there with all the crime in the fan and shockoe bottom. Good luck

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If your perception of the area is true, it does not appear to be a detriment to Richmonders. It's not easy to find an apartment anywhere downtown because of low vacancy rates. But thanks for your good wishes.

I think the vista is a nice looking building, I hope people move into there. Alot of people are scared to move into there with all the crime in the fan and shockoe bottom. Good luck

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

rus...they can't build condos and apartments fast enough in the bottom. The fan is as vibrant as ever. Richmond hasn't seen this type of migration Inward in decades. Burt I know exactly what you are talking about now! At first you said page 3 but I found them on page one...... I have no idea if this is what Daniel is planning on but this is the renderings:

canal_landing_alternate1.jpg

canal_landing_alternate2.jpg

definitely a different approach than the other image.....This one isn't as tall as the 19 stories Daniel is saying Vistas will have. I wouldn't mind a modern look at all though!!

rus...they can't build condos and apartments fast enough in the bottom. The fan is as vibrant as ever. Richmond hasn't seen this type of migration Inward in decades. Burt I know exactly what you are talking about now! At first you said page 3 but I found them on page one...... I have no idea if this is what Daniel is planning on but this is the renderings:

canal_landing_alternate1.jpg

canal_landing_alternate2.jpg

definitely a different approach than the other image.....This one isn't as tall as the 19 stories Daniel is saying Vistas will have. I wouldn't mind a modern look at all though!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are there any renderings of the 19 story tower?

not really than anyone can find yet. These could possibly be preliminary designs for it. However, I have a feeling Daniel will build something similar to ROTJ or the proposed classical looking Canal Landing design. Since the website just got put up, we should expect some soon!!!!

Damnit Daniel why do you always do this. It's now proposed to be 16 stories. Even though I wish it was taller, it is still great for Richmond and the Canal Walk. Perhaps ROTJ being no taller than 15 stories and Vistas being 16 stories will be good because they are at the very front of the skyline. Taller towers cann then be built behind them...Anyways, Vistas will begin construction this fall and be complete by late 2006-early 2007!

Canal Walk tower planned

Condomium building will have 168 units and rise to 16 stories

BY DAVID RESS

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

May 17, 2005

A high-rise condominium planned along the Canal Walk in downtown Richmond could be one of the biggest single residential developments in the city.

The 16-story tower, to be called Vistas on the James, will be built west of 14th Street between the Canal Walk and the James River, said William A. White, president of Joyner Fine Properties, agent for property.

The residential tower "will be just like a sister building" to Riverside on the James, White said.

The Vistas on the James will be located near the site of the Turning Basin, where mule-drawn boats would reverse direction on the James River & Kanawha Canal two centuries ago.

White said the tower will have 168 units, which will range in price from the $100,000s to the $500,000s. In comparison, the residential tower of Riverside on the James has 122 condominiums.

The first floor of the Vistas tower will have retail space, and there will be five floors of parking above that. That means that even the lowest floor with condominium units will be high enough for a river view, he said.

Construction is to start in the fall and should be completed in late 2006 or early 2007, White said.

One city source said the project would cost more than $60 million. Unlike several other large developments over the years, it will not get a property-tax abatement.

Daniel Corp., which built Riverside on the James and the twin towers of Riverfront Plaza, is the developer of Vistas on the James. An official from Daniel did not return a call yesterday.

White said that while some of the final approvals remain to be worked out, the building's style will be similar to the $90 million Riverside on the James, which has sold out its 122 condominium units and has leased more than 90 percent of its office space. Residents and office tenants are to begin moving in to Riverside's towers beginning late next month.

The demand for residential space in the Riverside on the James project was so strong that the developers decided to go forward with the Vistas on the James tower, sources say.

Mayor L. Douglas Wilder said the project shows that interest in the area and confidence in its future are on the rise.

"It seems as if good news just follows us relentlessly," he said.

Council member William J. Pantele, chairman of the finance committee, said developers are lining up to propose projects.

"Right now, the big story is luxury condos and high-end housing downtown," he said. ""It's very exciting and very promising."

Pantele says developers are lining up to propose projects??? Could this mean more towers in Richmond's future :D

check out the article

Damnit Daniel why do you always do this. It's now proposed to be 16 stories. Even though I wish it was taller, it is still great for Richmond and the Canal Walk. Perhaps ROTJ being no taller than 15 stories and Vistas being 16 stories will be good because they are at the very front of the skyline. Taller towers cann then be built behind them...Anyways, Vistas will begin construction this fall and be complete by late 2006-early 2007!

Canal Walk tower planned

Condomium building will have 168 units and rise to 16 stories

BY DAVID RESS

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

May 17, 2005

A high-rise condominium planned along the Canal Walk in downtown Richmond could be one of the biggest single residential developments in the city.

The 16-story tower, to be called Vistas on the James, will be built west of 14th Street between the Canal Walk and the James River, said William A. White, president of Joyner Fine Properties, agent for property.

The residential tower "will be just like a sister building" to Riverside on the James, White said.

The Vistas on the James will be located near the site of the Turning Basin, where mule-drawn boats would reverse direction on the James River & Kanawha Canal two centuries ago.

White said the tower will have 168 units, which will range in price from the $100,000s to the $500,000s. In comparison, the residential tower of Riverside on the James has 122 condominiums.

The first floor of the Vistas tower will have retail space, and there will be five floors of parking above that. That means that even the lowest floor with condominium units will be high enough for a river view, he said.

Construction is to start in the fall and should be completed in late 2006 or early 2007, White said.

One city source said the project would cost more than $60 million. Unlike several other large developments over the years, it will not get a property-tax abatement.

Daniel Corp., which built Riverside on the James and the twin towers of Riverfront Plaza, is the developer of Vistas on the James. An official from Daniel did not return a call yesterday.

White said that while some of the final approvals remain to be worked out, the building's style will be similar to the $90 million Riverside on the James, which has sold out its 122 condominium units and has leased more than 90 percent of its office space. Residents and office tenants are to begin moving in to Riverside's towers beginning late next month.

The demand for residential space in the Riverside on the James project was so strong that the developers decided to go forward with the Vistas on the James tower, sources say.

Mayor L. Douglas Wilder said the project shows that interest in the area and confidence in its future are on the rise.

"It seems as if good news just follows us relentlessly," he said.

Council member William J. Pantele, chairman of the finance committee, said developers are lining up to propose projects.

"Right now, the big story is luxury condos and high-end housing downtown," he said. ""It's very exciting and very promising."

Pantele says developers are lining up to propose projects??? Could this mean more towers in Richmond's future  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its still good news anyway, looks like developments on the upswing in richmond.

Its still good news anyway, looks like developments on the upswing in richmond.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very true. Richmond is hot right now. Now if I could only see a rendering of this Vistas on the James project.... I'll try to take pics of the site when I get back home.

Very true. Richmond is hot right now. Now if I could only see a rendering of this Vistas on the James project.... I'll try to take pics of the site when I get back home.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hmmmm! It's to be a "sister of Riverside"?? I like that daring modern design above. Oh, well, maybe they'll put a proper roof on top.

Those other renderings above are like at least 3 to 4 years old. I came across those renderings long before ROTJ was even announced. I seriously doubt those are even being thought of right now. So, just scrap those from your memory. The article said that the new tower will resemble that of ROTJ.

Okay so the latest is that Vistas will come in at 17 stories apparently due to city height restrictions in that area. It will have more glass and have a more modern, less

"traditional" feel than Riverside. The first 5 floors will be parking as well as some retail. Expect renderings in 2-3 weeks. Also, the website is supposed to have virtual 360 degree views in all directions so people can get a feel for what the views will be like once the tower is built.

Please do Coupe, it'd be great to see what that area looks like now.  Also, if there are any other construction sites of interest, please don't hesitate to snap a shot or two of those too!  Thanks!  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey man I'll see what I can do. I lost my memory card so as of now I only have the cameras internal harddrive which takes about 25 pics or so. I'll see about going by Riverside on the James and the New Federal Courts building. Any other places you would like to see in particular?

Hey man I'll see what I can do.  I lost my memory card so as of now I only have the cameras internal harddrive which takes about 25 pics or so. I'll see about going by Riverside on the James and the New Federal Courts building. Any other places you would like to see in particular?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not really, those that you listed will be fine unless you come across something new. Has the Philip Morris lab broken ground yet, or is that still to come? Thanks bud!

I wish you would take a picture from the spot at the Turning Basin to counteract the devastating one someone has manufactured of Riverside. Though I am in total agreement that Daniel Construction did the city a disservice by lopping off 2 or 3 storeys and an attractive roofline, I truly suspect it does not look that horrible. In fact, actual fotos show about 2 floors of white trim around the top of the tower.

Archived