Sherrif Beary Under Scrutiny

depechecureguyorl

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Orange County wants to consolidate with Orlando, yet they don't know what is happening within their current deparments. Bigger is not better, the larger government becomes the more out of control it will be.

Orange County wants to consolidate with Orlando, yet they don't know what is happening within their current deparments. Bigger is not better, the larger government becomes the more out of control it will be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could not agree with you more as i just quit OC because i couldn't stand it.

^ I worked as a firefighter/paramedic for OCFRD. I don't know that much about OCSO enought to know if they have alot of internal problems but if i had my choice i would go with OPD. You will thank me later. ;) OPD is better paid and has better benefits than the county. I know they (OPD) haven't been getting thier contract articles settled because the city commision did a study and found that OPD was one of the best paid departments in the state and couldn't see a huge increase at this time, it is still a very top notch department. OCSO starts out at $31,000 (i believe) which is dirt compared to departments around here that are smaller, less busy, less dangerous that get paid more. OPD is somewhere like 36 almost 37,000 start out with excellent benes. The question is if you frequently want to get shot at and fight and have high speed car chases and have alot of excitement go to OCSO for 31K if you occasionally want to get shot at, occasionally get in brawls, occasionally chase someone go to OPD for 37K. :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually... This might seem like semantics but Florida sheriff's offices are not county departments -- they are independent offices that operate within the borders of a county but don't fall under the control of the local county government (the Board of County Commissioners). Two different beasts. The Commission provides funding to the Sheriff's Office but the SO sets its own budget. This is why it isn't uncommon to see the Sheriff and the BCC at odds with each other. But the BCC (and by extension the mayor) has no direct control over the operations of the SO.

Nonetheless Beary's proposal deserves more scrutiny and should be able to justify his budget increase. If it is warranted, he won't have a problem getting it.

Other independent offices: Property Appraiser, Comptroller, Supervisor of Elections, and Tax Collector.

Actually... This might seem like semantics but Florida sheriff's offices are not county departments -- they are independent offices that operate within the borders of a county but don't fall under the control of the local county government (the Board of County Commissioners). Two different beasts. The Commission provides funding to the Sheriff's Office but the SO sets its own budget. This is why it isn't uncommon to see the Sheriff and the BCC at odds with each other. But the BCC (and by extension the mayor) has no direct control over the operations of the SO.

Nonetheless Beary's proposal deserves more scrutiny and should be able to justify his budget increase. If it is warranted, he won't have a problem getting it.

Other independent offices: Property Appraiser, Comptroller, Supervisor of Elections, and Tax Collector.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I understand that Beary is a constitutional officer and does not answer to the county commision. Though he is free to create and fund programs without approval, commissioners are able to review his proposed budget and spending before blindly approving his request. My thought is that if they can't be bothered to review items before approving them, then how will they manage when departments grow and budgets become larger and more complex.

This is definitely a problem. Certainly there must be some type of budgetary oversight board that looks through this stuff before it's presented to the commission?

How would you feel about amending the county charter to dissolve the sheriff's office and reorganize it under the Public Safety Department under the county commission? The director of the department would report within the administrative branch, the budget would originate from within and then ultimately be accountable to the Commission. That theoretically also helps depoliticize county law enforcement.

Thoughts? Welcome to the forum, btw.

Abolish Orange County government and sectionalize Orage County into different municipalities like how they do in Virginia. The Sheriff would only handle civil processes. Everything in the NW (draw a line cutting off the top handle on the map) would be Apopka. Everything West of Good Homes Rd would either be Ocoee, Winter Garden or Oakland. Winter Park is pretty much boxed in however they have utility controls over Aloma/436 area out to Dean on University. Maitland, Edgewood and Belle Isle wouldn't really change. The rest would be City of Orlando including downtown Orange County. :thumbsup:

The sheriff cannot be removed from office or even disciplined at the county level. He is considered a state official and, as I understand, is overseen by FDLE and the governor. If it is found that orange county government is corrupt the state would remove the exsisting government and place the sheriff in charge of the county.

I agree that we would be better off if the municipalites annexed te entire county. Then the county could return to a more tradition role than trying to act as if it were a municipality.

^This is correct under normal circumstances, however in a charter county form of government, it can be provided that the power of the sheriff or any constitutional officer be derived locally from the charter rather than from the state constitution. Orange County is one of 18 charter counties in Florida. Most of the charter counties say that the constitutional officers shall remain intact as provided in state law.

Only two counties that I know of say otherwise -- Miami-Dade and Volusia. Miami-Dade abolished the sheriff's office and all of its constitutional officers entirely (all the positions are now appointed) and Volusia has an elected sheriff but he's technically the elected director of its public safety department, his accountability being to the county council (their retitled commission), with no authority to appeal his budget to the Governor. That basically makes him a police chief. Broward and Volusia counties abolished their Tax Collector positions and created departments of revenue/finance instead.

Archived