Nashville or Clarksville?

mulli

Hi, I was hoping to get opinions from those of you familiar with the Nashville and Clarksville area. My husband has been offered a job in Clarksville and we are considering re-locating. Is Clarksville a nice place to live or would you suggest living in Nashville and commuting?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its really about what you want. Clarksville isint a bad area and you can find some nice homes for a good price. But if your wanting to be close to EVERYTHING then Nashville would be the place. The only good thing about commuting from Nashville to Clarksville during rush hour is that traffic wouldnt be to bad at all seeing as to way more people commute in instead of out. But the way gas prices are right now I would say you would be better off buying a home in Clarksville.

Hi,  I was hoping to get opinions from those of you familiar with the Nashville and Clarksville area.  My husband has been offered a job in Clarksville and we are considering re-locating.  Is Clarksville a nice place to live or would you suggest living in Nashville and commuting?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nashville is about 45-50 minutes from Clarksville...even more depending on where in Nashville. If you don't mind the commute, then you might find Nashville to be a more entertaining place to live. On the other hand, Clarksville is a sizable city (about 110,000 ppl) and has most of the ammenities that you need. You would still be less than an hour from Nashville if you wanted to do something fun or entertaining...but I'm sure that you could find a lot to do in Clarksville anyways.

Btw, Clarksville is one of the least expensive metros to live in in the country. You would save a little $$ on housing there.

I would say live in Clarksville. The money and stress you will save from your daily commute would more than enough incentive to live in Clarksville near his job IMO. Another big plus is access to Kentucky which has a lower tax rate overall and no tax on groceries; which would make a trip to Hopkinsville once a week attractive more than likely. Being only an hour from Nashville you have access to any amenity Clarksville doesn't offer and that a big city would. Housing would be cheaper, property taxes lower, etc etc. Its a good place for many reasons.

Unless you want to live in a city or must have the city life, then Clarksville is the better option IMO if you aren't working in the city.

Clarksville's a cool little city. The historic buildings, the riverfront development, the Roxy theatre. I like it. I wouldn't like the commute. Perhaps the best thing to do is to move to Clarksville and rent something nice while you take the time to make the decision that's right for you.

Thank you everyone who replied. I really appreciate the comments. I had been thinking pretty much the same thoughts as what you all have mentioned. We are coming from a larger city and I wasn't sure about how I would feel in a smaller community. It sounds like Clarksville has a lot to offer though. If we did decided to commute however, does anyone have a suggestion on a good Nashville "suburb" that would be close to Clarksville?

If we did decided to commute however, does anyone have a suggestion on a good Nashville "suburb" that would be close to Clarksville?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nashville really doesn't have many suburbs on the north/northwest side (you'll see why...the landscape is pretty rugged)...but there is a small one that is developing almost smack dab in the middle of the two (like rocket mentioned)...this would be Pleasant View. I've never been through there, so I can't tell you anything about it except for that it was recently incorporated (it has a little over 3,000 people, but I think they recently installed a sewer system there, so it is starting to develop). The "nice" Nashville suburbs are on the south, east, and northeast sides of town, far from Clarksville...the ones to the north, northwest, and west are quite small (1,500-5,000 people) and somewhat rural/spread out. Like I said, it's because of the landscape.

If you are looking for suburban, Clarksville should have a suburban feel to most of it since about 35,000 people have moved there in the last 15 years. It is pretty spread out (almost 100 sq miles), and just as it was mentioned earlier, the housing costs are less than those in the Nashville MSA. Honestly, I would choose to live in Clarksville...they are big enough to offer most of what you would want/need, the rest is just about 45 minutes away.

Here's a cool link to read about Clarksville...

http://www.sb-d.com/issues/winter2003/adve...rksville_tn.asp

Archived