2005 Hurricane Season

monsoon

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how accurate are these predictions?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what I've seen in the past, they're usually quite accurate; however, they typically also adjust the prediction mid-season (either up or down, depending on how the trend is going).

Also, please keep in mind that these are named tropical storms, hurricanes, and major hurricanes for the entire Atlantic region (not just the United States).

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has made this prediction for the 2005 season for the Atlantic (2004 was pretty bad)
  • 12-15 Tropical Storms

• 7-9 Hurricanes

• 3-5 Major Storms (presumably these are really bad hurricanes

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Major Storms are those that reach Category 4 or Category 5 intensity. These may or may not impact land.

It's Atlantans favorite season! They point-and-laugh from their thousand foot ridge as Miami, Jacksonville and New Orleans get pounded by the rain, winds and sea. If only Charlotte and Dallas where on sea... Anyway I hope it isn't too awful and people evacuate more than a day before the Cat-5 is bearing down.

It's Atlantans favorite season! They point-and-laugh from their thousand foot ridge as Miami, Jacksonville and New Orleans get pounded by the rain, winds and sea. If only Charlotte and Dallas where on sea... Anyway I hope it isn't too awful and people evacuate more than a day before the Cat-5 is bearing down.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heh - not always, last year two tropical storms brushed Atlanta & caused a large deal of rain / flooding / tree damage.

Now, it's those snobby Omahaians you should be pissed off about :)

Atlantans point and laugh at our death and misery? You find that funny?

I don't think you're as safe as you think either. You may want to watch out for the flash floods from tropical storms and hurricanes as they move inland. Ask the residents of NC who went through floyd about that.

Atlantans point and laugh at our death and misery?  You find that funny? 

I don't think you're as safe as you think either.  You may want to watch out for the flash floods from tropical storms and hurricanes as they move inland.  Ask the residents of NC who went through floyd about that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm assuming we're on the same page - aren't we? A good case would be the damage caused by a tropical storm in the 1990's, I forgot the name but I do recall massive flooding, particularly in southern / central Georgia.

The only good thing to come out of last season that will benefit this season is everyone in FL being better prepared and not taking these storms so lightly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It also showed the fruits of a strong and stringent building code. Florida finally adopted a statewide building code in 2002 (and even before then, there were significant revisions after Hurricane Andrew), and while strict, even stricter rules are used in Miami-Dade and Broward counties. Nonetheless, those buildings that were built under new post-Andrew codes were relatively unscathed in last year's hurricanes. Even manufactured housing built after 1994 under the new HUD code survived with minimal damage.

All coastal states in the Atlantic and Gulf that receive their share of tropical storms and hurricanes should adopt South Florida's building code for construction along their coasts.

How serious are Hurricanes on a scale of natural disasters. I have never been in one so they have always intrigued me .... I mean it seems like they come through every year right? Then I wonder why people live there, but usually a couple months into the aftermath everything is back to normal. Is this how it is? I guess obviously the more severe the storm the more severe the aftermath, but do you usually get a bad one every hurricane season? (In Fla, or the Gulf)

A place can recover pretty quickly after a hurricane or tropical storm. But when you get into major hurricanes, Cat-3 and above you're talking major damage that takes years to recover from. Parts of South Dade county are still bare from the damage left by Hurricane Andrew. Many places in SW and Central Florida are still recovering from Hurricane Charley last year. My family well inland was without power for close to a month. They were some of the lucky ones whose home stayed intact though. There's still thousands of people living in government homes and shelters in the area.

I think most Floridians would agree that living in Florida is worth dealing with hurricanes. I have lived in North-central Florida for 20 years. This past hurricane season was by far the worst that my part of the state has seen since I moved here. The truth is, there are very few spots on the Atlantic (or gulf) coast that get consistently and repeatedly pounded by hurricanes. Most Florida cities go decades before major hurricane strikes return (some cities go centuries between strikes).

Hurricanes are horrible, but most people that live down here have learned to respect them. Hurricanes are easily tracked by radar and never come unexpectedly. So, most people just get the hell out of dodge. Get out of the hurricane's path and your safety is assured. The combination of more strict building codes and a higher respect for the storms has somewhat lessened the impact of hurricanes.

The bottom line, we here in the coastal regions of the south enjoy a quality of life that is hard to understand unless you've spent some time here. Having this quality of life is worth putting up with hurricanes.

Archived