CSX facade

Fruit Cove

Which facade appearance do you enjoy more?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which facade appearance do you enjoy more?

• The old turquoise
    • The new black
    • indifferent

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really care, because I've never really liked the building. Regardless of the windows, the building has terrible street interaction (consider when it was built) and it is surrounded by a parking lot desert. I'd love for the CSX owner to pull a Riverpointe, and build a tower or two on that surface parking, and build a garage and some retail too.

Ya know, I've been wondering what was going on there and just couldn't figure it out. Ha!

I like the blue because it fits with the rest of the skyline color scheme, but that black sure is sleek. The black gives the building a modern look, in my humble opinion. I'll have to see it for real to make a final determination but I'm leaning to black.

I voted for the ole blue, but it was looking pretty run down b/c CSX didnt maintain it. If you compare the old blue tiles to the new black, of course the new black looks better. But, I think if you chose between the original look and that of today, it may be a different story. Hence, I am the only one to vote for the old facade.

i prefer the the blue facade, but i have a beef with Urban Legend?>>> why should they build a new tower in the parking lot??? i think that the building has some decent street interaction, it may not be right up against the street, but the curving projection on the base is a wonderful example of 50's modernism, or is that the problem, Modernism??? (friendly discussion???)

although they have created a double skin facade, they do this in Eurpoe quite a bit (Foster and Piano), of course that is planned and used to vent the building ie. environmental >>> i wonder if this was consider by the folks at RS&H???

I have to go with the new facade. I'm partial to modern buildings and the facelift pulls it out of the 50's and into at least the 80's! I love old buildings from a street perspective, however, its the modern steel and glass that make the biggest impression on a skyline.

i think that the building has some decent street interaction, it may not be right up against the street, but the curving projection on the base is a wonderful example of 50's modernism, or is that the problem, Modernism??? (friendly discussion???)

it is completely cut off from water street by an entire block of private parking lots. the "street" directly in front of the building is actually a private driveway. there is also a huge parking lot between it and the 550 building. more buildings could be build on the site without even compromising the CSX building's "streetfront" much like the 550 building.

the sheer volume of their parking lots are a tremendous waste of downtown space. (they also don't pay any property taxes on the building or the surface lots! did you anti-shipyards people know that?)

If you just put your thumb over the csx building in the second picture, jacksonville llooks so much better!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

^ :rofl:

Regarding the modernism/street-interaction issue:

I have nothing against modernism. The Aetna building is one of my faves, and I like some of CSX's lobby. I was just saying it would be nicer to fill up some of that wasted space, either with another tower or some kind of mid-rise or mixuse thing. Anything is better than parking lots, IMO.

Archived