DDA Funds Building Projects

joeDowntown

The DDA announced funding for three building projects downtown:

1. $85,000 toward a $1 million renovation of 77 Grandville Ave. SW, a single-story building at the corner of Oakes and Grandville. This will house The Post Bar. http://www.postbars.com

2. $150,000 to Terra Firma Development LLC for its renovation of three buildings at 206, 212 and 216 Grandville Avenue, just south of the U.S. 131 S-Curve into office, retail, commercial storage and residential.

3. $32,000 grant for 100 Commerce SW. Herrington will use the money to fill the areaway under the sidewalk and build a new sidewalk.

Joe

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

after many years of expanding around greater detroit's downtowns, the post bar has started moving outward. good location choice for this, I think. it's what I'd expect.

is this terra firma thing alright?

The DDA announced funding for three building projects downtown:

1. $85,000 toward a $1 million renovation of 77 Grandville Ave. SW, a single-story building at the corner of Oakes and Grandville. This will house The Post Bar. http://www.postbars.com

2. $150,000 to Terra Firma Development LLC for its renovation of three buildings at 206, 212 and 216 Grandville Avenue, just south of the U.S. 131 S-Curve into office, retail, commercial storage and residential.

3. $32,000 grant for 100 Commerce SW. Herrington will use the money to fill the areaway under the sidewalk and build a new sidewalk.

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I drove by the other day and they already had new windows in one of the buildings. It is a great little block of buildings. I think the addition of the post bar in that neighborhood will give people another reason to move into this neighborhood.

Speaking of Terra Firma, did anyone notice that they have gone back to the original design with the windows on the building at Pearl and Monroe. It looks MUCH better and gives the building a more classic feel.

Joe

after many years of expanding around greater detroit's downtowns, the post bar has started moving outward. good location choice for this, I think. it's what I'd expect.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 4 weeks later...

I'll let you be the judge; I have full renderings here at the office (600 Monroe nw #104) feel free to stop by and check it out !

This is a series of 4 bldgs and 2 parking lots that I"m converting to a true mixed-use facility. @4-26 residential apartments, retail on the ground floor, and a self-storage biz on 2 floors.

Apartments will be aimed at GVSU students and young professionals. VIA design has created plans for a very trendy-funky urban style unlike what you've seen in our market. This is not a 'white box' apartment project, similar to the Globe, Boardwalk, or American Seating..

NOT to take away from them; clearly those projects are all very succcessful. Our design initiative however was to do somethig totally different.

I'll try to post a pic of our renovation plans if I can figure out how to do it !!

Eric

Speaking of Terra Firma, did anyone notice that they have gone back to the original design with the windows on the building at Pearl and Monroe. It looks MUCH better and gives the building a more classic feel.

Joe,

Thanks for noticing !

When we were complete, we felt the windows (the glass is darker than spec'd, hence you couldn't see the interior muntin bars) created too much of a 'blank space'... just a sea of plain dark glass. So, after the fact we had Arch. glass and metals come back and install exterior muntins. The profile of the bars really adds depth to the overall aesthetic, it was worth it.

This project was a hard one, behind scheduel, way over budget, bad contractor...

Looks better than it did a year ago, no?

I wanted to restore the existing brick structure from the 1850-s. Once we pulled off the brown facade, we found it was just way too far gone. I think our architect did a great job respecting the building's histotory and added a modern flair all at the same time. In cases like this, a "true" historic rehab are not always physically possible. Glad you like it.

Eric

This is a series of 4 bldgs and 2 parking lots that I"m converting to a true mixed-use facility.  @4-26 residential apartments, retail on the ground floor, and a self-storage biz on 2 floors. 

I'll try to post a pic of our renovation plans if I can figure out how to do it !!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Eric, it's great to have you here. We love when developers get in on the mix! We would love to see pictures of the plans if you can figure it out, maybe someone can show ya how. Also, great job on Pearl and Monroe. I was just noticing on Thursday how great it looked.

Mike

EDIT: see this post: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=12050

Definitely a great job and this block is going to shine once the Amway completes their renovations. Any word on the building that Bullshead is in? Are they going to renovate the upper floors?

How is Mojo's doing? I think it is a great concept, and I see that once Cybernet went south, the announcement for "Rum Runners" (dueling piano bar) disappeared.

Now if only Flanagan's would do a little remodeling. :) Last time I was in there it felt like you were going to get a disease if you touched anything. :) The Flanagan's building is by far my favorite old building though. It just oozes character.

Joe

Joe,

Thanks for noticing !

When we were complete, we felt the windows (the glass is darker than spec'd, hence you couldn't see the interior muntin bars) created too much of a 'blank space'... just a sea of plain dark glass.    So, after the fact we had Arch. glass and metals come back and install exterior muntins.  The profile of the bars really adds depth to the overall aesthetic, it was worth it.

This project was a hard one, behind scheduel, way over budget, bad contractor...

Looks better than it did a year ago, no?

I wanted to restore the existing brick structure from the 1850-s.  Once we pulled off the brown facade, we found it was just way too far gone.  I think our architect did a great job respecting the building's histotory and added a modern flair all at the same time.  In cases like this, a "true" historic rehab are not always physically possible.  Glad you like it.

Eric

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now if only Flanagan's would do a little remodeling. :) Last time I was in there it felt like you were going to get a disease if you touched anything. :) The Flanagan's building is by far my favorite old building though. It just oozes character.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When was the last time you were in Flanagan's? I think your wish already came true! The inside is beautifully re-done and has been for a while now. The bar is pretty cool looking, a lot of dark wood involved inside. You should take a look, grab a $1.25 pint of green beer!

You can say that again! Great work! I'll have to go back again sometime soon to get a final photo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mojo's you asked about... they are ROCKING.

Thurs, fri and sat. night they have a line out the door. People waiting in line a long time to get in; don't worrry though they recently signed a deal w/ me to rent the second floor as well.

Hole is already cut in the floor, they will be open upstairs in another 60 days or so..

Additional seating, a place where you can actually talk -- downstairs is just too crowded / noisy for conversation.

Pool tables, maybe some video games...

His business is doing very, very well. I love having healthy tenants.

Stop in and check it out soon !

Eric

Mojo's you asked about... they are ROCKING.

Thurs, fri and sat. night they have a  line out the door.  People waiting in line a long time to get in; don't worrry though they recently signed a deal w/ me to rent the second floor as well. 

Hole is already cut in the floor, they will be open upstairs in another 60 days or so..

Additional seating, a place where you can actually talk -- downstairs is just too crowded / noisy for conversation.

Pool tables, maybe some video games...

His business is doing very, very well.  I love having healthy tenants.

Stop in and check it out soon !

Eric

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll agree with Eric, whoever's idea that was hit a cash cow. The best part about it is the diversity of crowd. You get everyone from convention folks, college kids, to parents and grand parents. And you DO need to get there before 9 or you'll be waiting in line. They have some crazy drink specials too. It's a good change of pace from the "Night Club" scene

Eric,

What did they ever do about the circular stair?  I hear that was a huge debacle.

Nitro

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am routinely amazed by how much 'inside' knowledge there is on this site...

I was kinda out of the loop on that, basically we hand mojo's their "tenant improvement allowance' and they hire their own contractors and oversee their own buildout in this case.

Something code related, but I don't recall what. Sadly, I think the difficulty Mojo's had was the result of a "code" pissing match I was in with Bob Krus of the inspections dep't. Bob was using "new building code" and we were using "rehab code". The differences are tremendous.

We told Bob he was wrong, the then had to prove himself right and in the meantime it became a personal issue for him. He sent someone to my office when I was gone "to pick up keys for x, y, z, buildings terra firma owns because we're going on 'inspections.' Total bullcrap, obviously trying to pick a fight.

I went pretty far up the food chain for help on that one; and the economic devel. office once again stepped up the plate to help. It is amazing how GREAT that City dep't is; and even more amazing how disorganized and counter-productive SOME of the inspections guys are. I really have sincere concerns about this, some of these guys have huge ego's and the power-trip-o-meter is maxed out too often. They love to demonstrate to building owners how powerful and important they are. It's silly.... econ. development office handing me money in the form of BRIP grants, environmental grants, various state and fed. renovation credits and new market tax credits... and then some junior inspector (paid by the same sources that issue the above credits) shuts the job down while he figures out what you've done wrong so he can scold you..... AARRGGHHH I didn't mean to get into this one again.....

^^:rofl:  Yah, lurkers don't have to register to view this forum.

A more updated photo of 180 Monroe with added muntins on the windows ;)

765B48C0DE8911D9B6E5C9C918F73B1D.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And today they installed a bunch of the window trim detail, panels betwn the 'top' and 'bottom' window sections to break it up..... still wish the darn glass wasn't so dark.....

I am routinely amazed by how much 'inside' knowledge there is on this site...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think we all are from time to time.. Hey Nitro, care to share a little about yourself with us? Just who are you? <ahttps://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png' alt=':)'> Feel free to post in this thread: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=11687

Hey Nitro, care to share a little about yourself with us?  Just who are you?  :) 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh come on, I just got here. Can't I enjoy a little anomnity for awhile?? :D

Ok, I'll post to your thread, but just the basics. :P

Nitro

It is great that we have the economic development department to supercede stupid decisions. It annoys me that the pioneers of development get harassed for rehabbing derelict buildings. :angry:

Joe

I went pretty far up the food chain for help on that one; and the economic devel. office once again stepped up the plate to help.  It is amazing how GREAT that City dep't is; and even more amazing how disorganized and counter-productive SOME of the inspections guys are. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Archived