BREAKING NEWS!

Frankie811

Just kidding! Well sort of. I've been wanting to do that for the past 2 months :rofl:

Churchill & Banks have requests for bids ASAP for their Greene St condo project. Bidding is to end by the end of May. Hmmmmm I wonder what their sudden rush is. I couldn't find a thread on this board for this project but I do remember reading something here about it so maybe someone can post info or renderings.

Once again, no pics, no info http://churchillandbanks.net/development.cfm?pID=42&dId=42

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I remember these. Weren't these the condos that were discussed at the first Duany Charette? Weren't they supposed to be built into a hill and be urban/streetfront friendly? I think it was supposed to have a courtyard as well. It sounded like a pretty cool project.

- Garris

I had this listed in Providence Projects v1.0 but had heard nothing new about it, so I dopped it from v2.0.

11. Greene Street Townhouses Planned

Churchill & Banks, a local real-estate development company, plans to build eight townhouses embracing a courtyard on what is now a parking lot behind the former Coastway Credit Union headquarters on Greene Street.

The courtyard configuration, sometimes called a mews, is a first-of-its-kind proposal for downtown. The townhouse condominiums would be placed atop a 26-car parking deck that would be tucked into a hill at Garden Street and Jackson Walkway.

Churchill & Banks bought the Coastway building at 10 Greene St. and adjacent property including the parking lot, and plans to move its own headquarters there.

City asked developer to change some aspects of the proposal to make it more friendly to the street.

As I remember it had some very suburban characteristics, it was sort of a mini-Regency Plaza, a gated community in the city. The Downcity Design Review Committee told them to make it more urban.

I couldn't find a thread on this board for this project but I do remember reading something here about it so maybe someone can post info or renderings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could have sworn I posted a ProJo article about this, but I can't find it.

Did you browse their site more? What the hell is this!?

DyerStreet001.jpg

DyerStreet002.jpg

200 Dyer Street

Project Summary:

Type: New Construction & Redevelopment

Use: Office / Retail

Size: 276,400 sf

CONNECTING THE CITY TO THE RIVER

The development proposal for 198-200 Dyer Street responds to the City

Hello! and this! :o

ImperialPlace.jpg

Imperial Place

Project Summary:

Type: New Construction

Use: Office / Retail/ Residential

Size: 137,000 sf

http://churchillbanks.com/development.cfm?pID=17&dId=17

Someone was asking about this the other day, saw some suits wandering around pointing at stuff.

Fascinating! I guess this begins to answer the question of what developers want to do with the 195 land...

I have to say, I really hate that 200 Dyer render (and I also have trouble picturing exactly where it is). It looks like G-Tech South... It also, like G-Tech, already looks 15 years old... There are lots of buildings in Miami and Ft Lauderdale that already look like that. On the face of things, it doesn't seem too urban friendly to me...

The Imperial Place render is another story entirely. I think I know exactly where that is, as that looks a lot like the Coro Parking Garage to the left... In any event, that looks perfect for the Jewelry district and that spot in particular... Just the kind of mixed use building that actually looks the part that the area has been needing badly. All those older reused industrial buildings are nice, but they don't make it look like a true neighborhood yet...

Good find Cotuit!

- Garris

Yeah, I'm liking that Imperial Place building. We don't need to wait for 195 to move for that to happen. It's right where you think it is. That's the Coro Garage and the mill building that Restaurant Cav is in would actually be in the way of this view. So there's a nice brick building facing the existing brick mill building, very sensitive to the neighbourhood. Interesting how it turns to glass on the highway side.

EDIT: The fact that kinematix saw some suits scoping out the site a few weeks ago gives hope that something may happen here sooner rather than later.

I'm not liking the river facade on that 200 Dyer rendering, but the other facade I don't mind so much (even if it's been done to death in Florida ;) ). I'm having a bit of trouble placing it exactly myself. It seems to be where the Ship Street Landing would be, in which case it's not being built. Googling 200 Dyer puts it here.

If it's a real proposal then it can't be on actual 195 land, no one has rights to that yet. Since the land was aquired with federal highway funds there is a specific auction process that needs to be followed to unload it, and I don't think we'll be seeing any of those auctions until 2010.

DyerStreet002.jpg

Perhaps Dyer is running across the front of the building and Dorrance is heading towards Kennedy Plaza on the right?

No, that doesn't make sense, that has to be Eddy Street heading toward Davol Square on the right.

Yup, the more I look at that Imperial Place render, the more I like it! Nice observation about the glass and the brick facing different sides... I noticed that too...

Regarding Dyer St, I think your second observation is correct. I think that's looking down Dyer towards Davol Square (the folks who own the gym there must salivate at the thought of more development!). Who owns those parking lots on the satellite shot on Dyer St? That's where the building will likely go... Outdated design or not, that building would be a revelation for that part of the city. There currently is not a thing on any of that land...

- Garris

I like the Imperial place building too although I can't imagine the folks who live in the actual Imperial place building will be to happy. They get amazing views and sunsets in those huge old windows and it's not a reason to curb development of that space but the appeal will decrease dramatically. I know people who have bought there beacuse of the sunsets.

I like the Imperial place building too although I can't imagine the folks who live in the actual Imperial place building will be to happy. They get amazing views and sunsets in those huge old windows and it's not a reason to curb development of that space but the appeal will decrease dramatically. I know people who have bought there beacuse of the sunsets.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm inclined to agree about the blocking thing, but that area is dead dead dead at night... a little ominous in fact. More residential/office would hopefully help. Plus the new bridge once again connecting that part of the jewelry district with the West Side.

• 2 months later...

Just in from the ProJo:

Fidelity to invest in 1,000 new jobs, $65M building in R.I.

PROVIDENCE -- Fidelity Investments today announced plans to add 1,000 new jobs in Rhode Island and construct a $65 million building on its Smithfield campus by 2008.

More to come ...

Just in from the ProJo:

Fidelity to invest in 1,000 new jobs, $65M building in R.I.

PROVIDENCE -- Fidelity Investments today announced plans to add 1,000 new jobs in Rhode Island and construct a $65 million building on its Smithfield campus by 2008.

More to come ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I read that in PBN yesterday... Smithfield. <_< One would think they'd want to be in Providence with Citizens and BofA.

Apparently it's a new division of Fidelity which will be based out of offices on State Street in Boston until the new HQ in Smithfield is complete. It's good to be getting 1,000 jobs coming to RI, but it would be better if they were coming to Providence (1,000 workers would have a big impact Downcity).

PBN article

Also from PBN, Aspen Aerogels Inc., of Northborough, MA is building a manufacturing facility on the EP waterfront.

1,000 high paying jobs in Smithfield will affect Downcity Providence.  I'd guarantee that this news expands the downtown condo market by at least 100 people.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, but we really need office workers Downcity to balance out the retail market.

Any news is good news, and this is certainly welcome for the state...  But no Fidelity Tower downtown, huh :(.

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup...a 65-90 million tower in Providence would be just what is needed - a nice 30 floor corporate center. Like we have talked about with Amica, CVS, Hasbro, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Ch 12 news just reported that the old farmer's market behind the mall has just been placed on the national historical trust register and there should be something done there soon. An interview with Ted Sanderson,a historical preservatist, hinted a festival market place, like Quincy Market!

Providence Fruit & Produce Warehouse thread

Yup...a 65-90 million tower in Providence would be just what is needed - a nice 30 floor corporate center. Like we have talked about with Amica, CVS, Hasbro, etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How great would that be.

Sadly, corporate America seems to gravitate to office parks, like those along route 128 in Boston. I can't understand that whole culture. The only thing that differentiates the buildings are the exit numbers and the logos tacked onto their sides. Where do you walk during lunch?

Any news is good news, and this is certainly welcome for the state...  But no Fidelity Tower downtown, huh :(.

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fidelity had a sweet heart tax deal even before this one.. They had a 25 year lease to own, and they get a tax credit for each EE.. If they hire or transfer a certain amount of employees there, they pay no lease at all; the city picks it up.. Which they already did.. So basically, Fidelity is rent free already.. This new tax deal is mostly EE bonus based, but because they get credits per EE, Fidelity still gets more tax credits..

Fidelity isn't going to Providence.. Its not their style.. They are increasingly becoming site based.. And those are usually in remote areas..

• 2 months later...

Archived