BREAKING NEWS!

Frankie811

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah!!That makes sense!! All the leases that we the taxpayers are paying on buildings all across the state...Let's build a whole new building ....at least Paolino would get paid!!! Who wants to bet that they will put it on the Route 10 parcel? Jefferson/903..new Registry...these are real smart development proposals people!

The Registry should go into the Pastore Center. I consulted for the state for a number of years and had my office at the Pastore Center - there's plenty of available land and a few vacant buildings there to boot.

I am not a big fan of spending public money but I think the state really needs to think things through. They have offices all over the state and most in leased space. There are departments and divisions that are crying for space and our legislature is looking for room, and it shouldn

I say the land right across from the state house is the perfect place; you know state offices off of the state offices exit. The state should take an inventory of all their current and future building needs and begin the phased construction of a series of buildings and parking garages on the land across from the state house. They can remove the outdated buildings that are there as the project progresses. All the buildings should be connected somehow underground, sky bridges, and plans should be made to ensure that there is plenty of open, park like, space for workers and visitors to enjoy. A little bit of commercial space can be included to provide food and drink or other services like dry cleaning or hair cutting.

They could also incorporate new technologies providing security and communication. Also ensure that the buildings are energy efficient.

Right now there are a few buildings and huge parking lots, what a waste of space.

I completely agree. I would love this. Right now the state offices resemble a suburban office park. Throw a building in next to the DOT building especially, and then along Orms and State Streets instead of the lots there.

Oh, FYI, right now DOA and DOT are in fact connected underground via a three level underground parking garage. So the beginnings of underground connections/parking are already there.

I also think any redevelopment up there should be incorporated with parking fees and transit incentives (something like RIPTA's express travel program), to get some of these workers out of their cars and reduce the parking demand. Right now parking up there is out of control.

I completely agree. I would love this. Right now the state offices resemble a suburban office park. Throw a building in next to the DOT building especially, and then along Orms and State Streets instead of the lots there.

Oh, FYI, right now DOA and DOT are in fact connected underground via a three level underground parking garage. So the beginnings of underground connections/parking are already there.

I also think any redevelopment up there should be incorporated with parking fees and transit incentives (something like RIPTA's express travel program), to get some of these workers out of their cars and reduce the parking demand. Right now parking up there is out of control.

get the state employees to pay to park? :shok: you must be joking... never... :P

get the state employees to pay to park? :shok: you must be joking... never... :P

Oh I know, they'd go on strike...

What they could do is give them a "parking allowance" per week though, and then charge them the same amount per week to park there. That way it would cost them nothing if they wanted to park there, but it would be an incentive to take transit instead so they could keep the parking allowance money for themselves (of course assuming that the weekly transit costs would be less than the parking allowance).

What they could do is give them a "parking allowance" per week though, and then charge them the same amount per week to park there. That way it would cost them nothing if they wanted to park there, but it would be an incentive to take transit instead so they could keep the parking allowance money for themselves (of course assuming that the weekly transit costs would be less than the parking allowance).

while this might work... they'd still like the convenience of driving in, so keeping the money for themselves wouldn't be enough incentive...

• 2 weeks later...

Just so you know, state employees, like municipal fire fighters and police officers, do not have the right to strike.

Just so you know, state employees, like municipal fire fighters and police officers, do not have the right to strike.

I know, my point being they'd be up in arms over something like this. I swear some people think the right to park (and park as close as possible to wherever they're going) is in the Bill of Rights.

• 1 month later...

Elkhay gears up to open wine bistro downtown

PROVIDENCE -- Local restaurateur John Elkhay is gearing up to open a wine bar and bistro in the Union Station plaza next to Waterplace Park.

Elkhay, who is co-owner of three popular city restaurants -- Big Fish, XO Steak House and Ten Steak & Sushi -- received approval today from the Capital Center Commission for the exterior design of the new eatery, called Citron Bistro.

The restaurant will be in the space that formerly housed the Brewed Awakenings coffee shop and is due to open April 3, 2006.

Providence Monthly teased this story in their restaurant section a few months ago. When I read it in ProMo I was hoping we'd see something sooner, but April will do. Now if we could just get something built in the parking lot on the 'B' parcel.

• 4 weeks later...

WJAR up for sale

WJAR, the ratings leader in Rhode Island television, has been put up for sale by its owner, NBC Universal.

An NBC spokeswoman in New York today confirmed the network-owned affiliate has been put on the market, but she declined to address any other questions about the possible sale of Rhode Island's oldest television station.

• 4 weeks later...

" PROVIDENCE -- As expected, House Democratic leaders today announced the introduction of a major package of legislation they said is aimed at overhauling Rhode Island's tax structure to provide relief to taxpayers at all levels.

The "Taxpayer Relief Act of 2006" consists of nine initiatives they say is designed to make Rhode Island more attractive to businesses and to provide tax relief to citizens while maintaining revenue for the state.

At a news conference this afternoon, House Speaker William J. Murphy said, "Rather than taking a piecemeal approach to the issues that affect our tax system, we're going to look at how to make the entire system work for the state and for all its taxpayers.

"The ultimate goal is to put more money directly into people's pockets both by giving relief to those who need it and by making Rhode Island a more attractive place for businesses that will provide high-paying jobs for more Rhode Islanders."

The legislation addresses nine separate areas of Rhode Island tax laws. Some are new proposals; others draw on ideas that have been raised in the past as possible ways to improve the state's tax laws.

They range from a personal income tax reduction to a sales tax holiday to the creation of a new Department of Revenue whose sole purpose would be to collect taxes and tax data.

The proposal comes as Republican Governor Carcieri prepares to unveil his budget next week, and with it his plan for averting a potential $220-million to $240-million deficit."

• 3 months later...

Archived