Capital Properties

Frankie811

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just how did Capital Properties end up with so many parcels in capital center? Was this a bid process, or did they know someone? And they don't sell these parcels, they lease them for something like 99 yrs

http://www.projo.com/business/content/proj...pi.201d4e3.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good Luck untangling that one! The capital center district was set up in the early 80's. Between property owned by the state, railroads, utilities, city and who knows who else ... its amazing that it ever got organized at all. There was a lot of land swapping and infighting at the time. (I think the last of the lawsuits was just settled a year or two ago)

How one entity (Capital Properties) came to own/control it all is a very interesting question.

• 2 weeks later...

Just how did Capital Properties end up with so many parcels in capital center? Was this a bid process, or did they know someone? And they don't sell these parcels, they lease them for something like 99 yrs

http://www.projo.com/business/content/proj...pi.201d4e3.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They were the original Providence & Worcester Railroad people. What was Captial Center prior to it being Capital Center?...railroad tracks! They got the land in several complicated land swaps with the railroad and river moves.

They were the original Providence & Worcester Railroad people.  What was Captial Center prior to it being Capital Center?...railroad tracks!  They got the land in several complicated land swaps with the railroad and river moves.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

O I C !!!!!! Thanks!

They were the original Providence & Worcester Railroad people.  What was Captial Center prior to it being Capital Center?...railroad tracks!  They got the land in several complicated land swaps with the railroad and river moves.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you want to know how Capital Center and other Prov things took shape, read this:

Providence, the Renaissance City

by Francis J., Jr. Leazes, Mark T. Motte

For anyone that vaguely consideres Cianci a public hero still, this should be the last nail in that coffin.. He basically single handedly held Prov back 20 years, in my opinion

If you want to know how Capital Center and other Prov things took shape, read this:

Providence, the Renaissance City

by Francis J., Jr. Leazes, Mark T. Motte

For anyone that vaguely consideres Cianci a public hero still, this should be the last nail in that coffin.. He basically single handedly held Prov back 20 years, in my opinion

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I bought the book but never read it. Now I think I will.

I bought the book but never read it. Now I think I will.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, it was a suprisingly good read.. And I'm no civil engineer, just a guy who fixes houses.. But I got into it.. Water place park, capital center, etc.. And how Cianci through his idiocy sabotaged almost all of them, while took credit for them in public..

A more correct bio that Prince of Providence, I assume.. And even that was scathing at times..

Yeah, it was a suprisingly good read.. And I'm no civil engineer, just a guy who fixes houses.. But I got into it..  Water place park, capital center, etc.. And how Cianci through his idiocy sabotaged almost all of them, while took credit for them in public..

A more correct bio that Prince of Providence, I assume.. And even that was scathing at times..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well after reading " The Prince of Providence " " Providence, the Renaissance City " should be considered light reading :rofl:

Archived