Pensacola: City eyes annexation of areas

bobliocatt

City eyes annexation of areas

Possible sites include Langley, Baptist Hospital neighborhoods

May 17, 2005

Sheila [email protected]

City of Pensacola residents last approved an annexation in the late 1980s when they brought Cordova Mall inside the city limits.

Now, city officials are eying several areas for annexation. But convincing residents in those areas that they would be better off in the city could be difficult, largely because Pensacola residents pay extra taxes.

City Manager Tom Bonfield said he will provide a list of possible areas to target for annexation later this summer.

The city has worked in recent years to reverse a declining population trend.

Pensacola's population in 1990 was 59,198, dropping to 56,255 in the 2000 Census.

Full Article

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was in Pensacola today, on the way back to Tally from Mississippi. The work along I-10 is coming along quite nicely. What I like about Pensacola is the I-110 route, that goes south to the beach. I think we need a spur like that here in the Tallahassee area somewhere to get people from I-10 to the Gulf Coast (Wakulla, Franklyn counties).

Escambia County doesn't provide those services now?

I'm always curious how "full-service" certain counties are within their unincorporated areas. I know some Florida counties don't even provide garbage pickup for their unincorporated residents.

If that's the case, then I believe if you factor in all the extra services you are going to receive in exchange for your increased property taxes, it will probably be a good deal for them.

I don't know about Escambia, but Leon county doesn't offer unincorporated Tallahassee any such perks. Sidewalks, street lighting, municipal water and wastewater services, fire services, and parks and recreation are virtually non-existent outside the City limits, or Urban Service boundary.

Archived