Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blueize74

South Dakota Trip

Hey Everybody,

I'm planning a trip to South Dakota. I'll be driving to Mt. Rushmore and I plan to hit the Black Hills, Badlands and most everything around that area. I will probably drive over to Devil's Tower and possible the Tetons. Any recommendations, experiences, areas to steer clear of? I'm looking at staying in either Rapid City or Custer. I'd like to stay somewhere nice as this will be part of my honeymoon and the hotels seem to be kinda mid-grade. I'll be going the week of Memorial Day.

I visited South Dakota a few years ago. It was part of a road trip that started in Detroit and ended in Los Angeles. Be sure to check out the Crazy Horse Monument, since that is right by Mount Rushmore.

I remember when we went, we stayed in Wall, SD for a couple days. It is a very small city...not much to do. Basically everyone who visits the Badlands stays there. The city itself is home to Wall Drug store, a gigantic drug store downtown. Visiting the drug store is worth an afternoon. On the way we visited the Mitchell Corn Palace. They cover this building in downtown Mitchell with corn each year. And every year it is different.

We did stay in Custer at a fairly nice hotel. We were in town for the fireworks that night. The crowds at the fireworks were definately much more polite than the people back home. It is a much different pace of life out there.

I will have to look and see what else we did on that trip. We were in SD for a while, before we moved on to Wyoming, Colorado, etc. Do be prepared for weather extremes though. When we got to SD it was in the 90s. By the time we left the daily highs were struggling to reach 60 degrees. The next week it was back in the 90s again.

I'm looking at Custer hotels. From what I understand, there's Custer, Rapid City and Keystone in a reasonable distance from Mt Rushmore. Does anyone know of a good lodge/hotel out that way. Most hotels seem to be very indie.

I've been through that area several times, and to be honest I don't think you'll find any "nice" hotels in any of the cities out there. Try this link:

http://www.resortsandlodges.com/lodging/us...kota/index.html

I can't vouch for any of these places, but with a little research I bet you can get a pretty good idea of what each place has to offer.

Good luck!