Westside/Beatties Ford/Biddleville/West End Projects

ElricSeven

I can't picture in my mind exactly where this is, but W. Trade has made a remarkable transformation from the days when it really earned the name "trade".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Looks like there's another zoning request for something next to the Brookshire Freeway on 10th.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2005-012.htm

The property's listed as having been purchased recently for $140K. How do people get these unbelievable deals on raw land inside the inner loop? Man, if I saw something like that I'd buy it in a minute.

Looks like there's another zoning request for something next to the Brookshire Freeway on 10th.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2005-012.htm

The property's listed as having been purchased recently for $140K.  How do people get these unbelievable deals on raw land inside the inner loop?  Man, if I saw something like that I'd buy it in a minute.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This one would be interesting ...the Circle K on the corner of 10th and Graham will be sandwiched between 2 residential condos.

• 1 month later...

RICHARD RUBIN www.charlotte.com

Staff Writer

Beatties Ford Road could be the next frontier for Charlotte's urban redevelopment, a walkable corridor lined with stores, sit-down restaurants, a streetcar and perhaps a movie theater.

That's the blooming vision of a group of community leaders who are developing a master plan for this sliver of west Charlotte.

They call it New Brooklyn, a name that looks forward but also evokes the history of the uptown black business and residential district that was razed during the 1960s as part of an urban renewal project.

Kelly Alexander Jr., who is chairing the group, said Beatties Ford Road needs organized boosters to change the public mind-set about the area and persuade potential investors to follow the vision.

"In reality, anything can be here," he said. "Just because an area hasn't had amenities to the same extent as other parts of the city in the past does not mean that that condition is going to march on indefinitely."

To pay for the professional plan, the group collected $50,000 in donations and received a $25,000 city grant. It will hold public meetings in early 2005 and release a plan in the spring.

The study area spans less than four miles from Oaklawn Avenue up to Sunset Road. The group wants to focus more attention on a crucial stretch between Lasalle Street and Cindy Lane.

The corridor borders some established neighborhoods, as well as some that the city lists as "threatened" or "fragile" because of crime or other problems. It is home to many successful small businesses but has not attracted the kinds of restaurants and chain stores that populate the suburbs.

James Mitchell, who represents the area on the Charlotte City Council, said one of the most important parts of the plan is talking with property owners.

"Don't sell your land to a highest bidder," he will tell them. "Sell your land to someone who will fulfill (the) vision."

Mitchell has a personal stake in the area, too. Earlier this year, he moved from an apartment in the University City section of his district to a house near Beatties Ford and Sunset roads.

Mitchell said he hopes the revitalized corridor can become the next South End.

Like South End, Beatties Ford Road could benefit from the city's investment in public transit. The Charlotte Area Transit System is planning a streetcar that would connect uptown's West Trade Street to Interstate 85, past Johnson C. Smith University and right through the heart of New Brooklyn.

That streetcar will pass by church after church, many of which have been involved in the New Brooklyn planning effort.

Before this, "there was not really a forum for all of us to come together and share our plans," said Mary Wilson, executive director of a community development corporation at Friendship Missionary Baptist Church, just north of I-85.

Friendship is developing a huge complex across from its current site, starting with a new sanctuary but eventually including affordable housing and a center for Alzheimer's patients, Wilson said, adding that the church wants to make sure its project conforms with the vision for the corridor.

Alexander talks about attracting a movie theater, a new police substation, more parks and about bringing development to some vacant land in the area.

But the first task is finishing the plan.

"The potential," he said, "is definitely there."

• 4 months later...

I think it's a condo/retail develpment that's planned to be built on West Trade and 5th. Anyone know any details.

Also there's a mix use development being planned for Statesville and Oaklawn across from the new Saussy Burbank houses. I've talked to a few people that know it's coming, but no one seemed able to provide any details.

I think it's a condo/retail develpment that's planned to be built on West Trade and 5th.  Anyone know any details.

Also there's a mix use development being planned for Statesville and Oaklawn across from the new Saussy Burbank houses.  I've talked to a few people that know it's coming, but no one seemed able to provide any details.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Man I hope so. Where did you get word on the Trade and 5th street development ???

I have a bad feeling about Bordeaux.....they announced the project a little over 2 years ago, and a partial tenant list about a year ago, though never broke ground......for a small project such as this, that can be a bad sign.....still, I'm hopeful, because it would be great for the area.

I know nothing about a Statesville Ave. proposal, but it's not surprising. It's great underdeveloped land at very reasonable prices.