Westside/Beatties Ford/Biddleville/West End Projects

ElricSeven

The mill beside these parcels (facing Turner) has been rumored for redevelopment for more than three years now. Tons of potential, hopefully this adjacent assembly can get things moving.

Honestly this part of town has almost the same bones as Southend did 20 years ago.

• 1 month later...

CCCP has broadened their pervue to include the Five Points, or their new label "Historic West End." CBJ makes it sound like this was all enabled by a $1.5 million grant from the Knight Foundation to create the business improvement district.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/06/knight-foundation-investing-1-5-million-in.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

This part of intown could certainly benefit from this effort. Having said that, I hope CCCP puts in more effort than they have in Southend. Food Truck Friday would have likely happened without CCCP, beyond that, all I really see are some banners and advertising. Color me cynical I guess.

Edited by kermit

^I moved that post from the Streetcar thread.

The 'Historic West End' label has been around for years. The Historic West End Neighborhood Association (which focuses along the entire Beatties Ford Rd corridor) used to the the primary organization for residents and businesses in the area. The in-town group spun off from HWENA and is now called Historic West End Partners and focuses more on the 5-points/Biddleville area, and is likely behind this move by CCCP. Since the last Center City Vision Plan, CCCP expanded to include the neighborhoods immediately adjacent to uptown. Formalizing it by hiring someone to solely focus on that area makes a lot of sense. What's interesting is the $1.5m grant gives them some money to work with and actually make something happen.

The other thing they don't mention (and that hasn't received much notice here on UP) is that the City's Community Investment Plan includes and additional $20m investment (on top of the streetcar) in the neighborhoods roughly bounded by Brookshire, 85, Ashely Rd, and 77.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/charlottefuture/CIP/CNIP/Pages/WestTrade.aspx

Copying this from the Drinking Beer in Charlotte thread.

Blue Blaze Brewing is apparantly going to locate in Historic West End, Smallwood to be precise :) To be really precise, they are locating in a metal-sided warehouse located on the same property as the historic (or maybe just old) Savona Mill on Turner Ave. Savona Mill, in theory, will be the future home of the Lakewood Trolley, and, I guess, a future mixed-use redevelopment.

To see the building that Blue Blaze will be locating in on a map, it's at roughly 578 S Turner Ave.

• 3 months later...

I would love a project like this to actually happen.  Right now it's just a rendering from a marketing brochure of what someone potentially do with vacant land along Bruns Ave.  53 units on 3.5 acres.

I loveee that! Would love to see it in SouthEnd too to match those other beautiful new condo's that just released renderings. I would love to see this style mass produced like all the crap we have been getting

Not to be a downer, but if we can't get this quality in any neighborhood except MP and Eastover (looking at you South End, P-M, Dilworth, NoDa), I find the changes that the materials/quality depicted here actually being buily in Seversville slightly less than -20%.

Edited by atlrvr

Completely of topic, but in my vision for Charlotte, those^ would line graham st in place of the garden apartments and wood sided condos. They feel so out of place for a "downtown" apartment.

Back on topic, we need waaay more projects that like this^. Not just renderings that get cut up and down graded ten times until we're left with Beige City BS. Oh well, back to my imaginary vision of Charlotte...

• 9 months later...

I don't know where to put this, but, while there has already been a Charlotte Observer article about this (120 apartments being built for Charlotte’s chronically homeless), this Charlotte Stories article (I know, I know...) is the first with any kind of rendering:

$12 Million Apartment Complex Being Built By The City of Charlotte To House The Homeless
Housing First.jpg

On first impression, it's pretty darn good design. Though, with a completion date of 2018, who knows how this will change in the meantime.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

On 5/17/2015 at 11:01 PM, kermit said:

The mill beside these parcels (facing Turner) has been rumored for redevelopment for more than three years now. Tons of potential, hopefully this adjacent assembly can get things moving.

Honestly this part of town has almost the same bones as Southend did 20 years ago.

This part of town is nothing like Southend was 20 years ago. Southend was mostly industrial and blue collar/Mexican/Indian.  This area is hardly industrial and crime is far worse. It requires a lot more forethought and a lot of gambles with investments. I am however glad to se changes coming and I hope they worlk out. I used to live near 5-points (Bacon and Rozzels Ferry). I know the area. 

Edited by caterpillar2

11 hours ago, caterpillar2 said:

This part of town is nothing like Southend was 20 years ago. Southend was mostly industrial and blue collar/Mexican/Indian.  This area is hardly industrial and crime is far worse. It requires a lot more forethought and a lot of gambles with investments. I am however glad to se changes coming and I hope they worlk out. I used to live near 5-points (Bacon and Rozzels Ferry). I know the area. 

Thanks to your critique I can see how my vague statement could lead to disagreement. Allow me to clarify my original opinion that the area around Savonia and Blue Blaze is a similar to Southend 20 years ago:

1) the industrail space and vacant kand to the west and north of Savonia is very similar to the space in the portions of Southend around W Tremont, Distribution st etc. (Savonia Mill aside none of this industrial space is particularly historic)

2) the housing around the Seversville area (to the North of Savonia) has a similar character as Wilmore (although these houses are a bit smaller than what was in Wilmore). Further east Wesley Heights shares many housing stock and demographic characteristics with Dilworth. 

3) both of these aras are a similar distance from uptown and have the same type of barrier seperating it from uptown

4) both have the same potemtial for rail cnnectivity (although no serious transit proposals exist yet for the P&N tracks

I cant spek to the crime levels in Southend 20 years ago, but I have spent a good amount of time in Seversville recently and have not encountered any serious issues. I would also point out that crime overall is at post-war lows, while I am sure Seversville is a moderately high-crime neighborhood there is lots (e.g. My own experience, multiple $300k plus home sales, Blue Blaze opening) to suggest that its safer than it was when you lived there

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, kermit said:

Thanks to your critique I can see how my vague statement could lead to disagreement. Allow me to clarify my original opinion that the area around Savonia and Blue Blaze is a similar to Southend 20 years ago:

1) the industrail space and vacant kand to the west and north of Savonia is very similar to the space in the portions of Southend around W Tremont, Distribution st etc. (Savonia Mill aside none of this industrial space is particularly historic)

2) the housing around the Seversville area (to the North of Savonia) has a similar character as Wilmore (although these houses are a bit smaller than what was in Wilmore). Further east Wesley Heights shares many housing stock and demographic characteristics with Dilworth. 

3) both of these aras are a similar distance from uptown and have the same type of barrier seperating it from uptown

4) both have the same potemtial for rail cnnectivity (although no serious transit proposals exist yet for the P&N tracks

I cant spek to the crime levels in Southend 20 years ago, but I have spent a good amount of time in Seversville recently and have not encountered any serious issues. I would also point out that crime overall is at post-war lows, while I am sure Seversville is a moderately high-crime neighborhood there is lots (e.g. My own experience, multiple $300k plus home sales, Blue Blaze opening) to suggest that its safer than it was when you lived there

Good clarification. Thanks.  I am really happy to see areas come around especially when trolley service is forthcoming. It would be nice to see that whole area turn into what Southend has become. 

Edited by caterpillar2

I went to the meeting last month and Pappanostis said they were getting paperwork together for rezoning in the fall. Once some of the area is rezoned around the mill they will begin to start a little work on a individual buildings. The cardboard recycling plant will probably close in about a year. Nothing new will open for 2-3 years. I think the large mill itself is a good 7-8 years away from being renovated. I also believe they are waiting on more development in the area and hope the streetcar really speeds up development up trade and the neighborhoods walking distance to it. I have high hopes for this area and have bought property over there. I don't think there will be major change both residential and commercial for another 5years.  They need a grocery store really bad. That's the biggest complaint I hear from new residents

Crime is a lot better over there. Packages are still stolen and homes are occasionally broken into but people are looking out for each other and you need to be careful. No different than plaza Midwood, noda etc. 

there are some very nice homes being built in the neighborhood and the developers have done a great job of building the comps. 

My wife and I are looking for homes in West Charlotte right now.  We currently live in Montclaire but would like to be a little closer.  The stock of homes in West Charlotte, for the price, is unbeatable.  I just hope it doesn't blow up too fast before we get there!

• Like 1

Yep, West Side has a good future, especially with having JSCU and the strong community ties from this past century. Though does anyone else feel as though some of the houses built in Wesley Heights are too much (in their qualities, not necessarily price)? It feels like Dilworth over there.

Edited by SgtCampsalot