Westside/Beatties Ford/Biddleville/West End Projects

ElricSeven

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, CLTNative said:

McQuay & Tuckaseegee looks neat. Appears to include a basketball half court and bleacher seating.

Record LDCR-2022-00009

A bit confused here.  I drive by this area all the time.  McQuay and Tuck is a large surface lot that’s been dug up, with no buildings for renovation.  A couple blocks east of the Tuck intersection w/McQuay is a row of old bldgs fenced off and being worked on by fairwood construction.  Assume this permit relates to that project.

Edited by RANYC

• 2 months later...

Holy cow, the lovely albeit abandoned church at Enderly and Tuckaseegee in the pic below has been reduced to a massive pile of rubble just in the past 2 weeks.  Major, major changes under way in this area of Charlotte.  Too bad Glenwood Street is one of the most littered stretches of residential roadway I’ve seen anywhere in the country.

BF82D4D5-B864-4AFE-8D5A-4967A8C50669.jpeg

0BB923BE-E93D-4DD7-99A7-F25E55D1EBAC.jpeg

9825101D-0C4A-4B51-A3F9-25DDCF792940.jpeg

34249D0F-B482-4B24-9DD3-83B2298A59B0.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Maybe thirty five years ago my uncle was driving this way from Indiana and wanted to visit me. Pre-GPS, pre-mobile phone, I told him to take I-85 and then at any exit go to a phone and call me and I would coach him from there or fetch him if it were close enough. I sat at home awaiting the call. "Ring, Ring" "I am at a station at Glenwood Drive exit." I was unaware of such an exit or street though I had lived in Charlotte for quite a few years at that time. "Go back onto the interstate and choose another exit." I told him. Next one was more successful. I still have no idea why that exit was necessary, even less so now.

How many of us have been on Glenwood drive intentionally and know where it connects? 

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 2

Any idea how old that church was? edit: 1937

I would reeeeeally love to know roughly what a stick apartment build from scratch (my assumption for what is going here) costs, versus a total gut renovation of the existing structure + a smaller stick build.

Yes renovations are more expensive than a knock it down, scrape the lot clear edge to edge and slap up some garbage "luxury" apartments which is why this happens ad nauseam all across the city, but I could at least sleep slightly better if I knew that the costs are truly something unpalatable like 5x a from-scratch build. I'm guessing the difference is not even that much but I just don't know.

Edited by Matthew.Brendan
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Reverie39 said:

I thought this story was going to end with him having accidentally driven to Raleigh, lol

So it does not register as a Charlotte interchange with you also. 

I have been on Glenwood since then (in Charlotte) and cannot understand what industry or transportation access required an interstate exit.

Townhomes will be going where the church was.  The church has not sold yet but will soon.  The buyer wanted the asbestos removed from the church by the seller first and demo before close.     Townhomes dirt work has already started across the street from this. 
A lot of change is happening in this area. 

there is also some environmental cleanup going on on Glenwood right now.  Something about laundry chemical cleanup is what I got

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

image.thumb.png.a6ce56ffc0c12ae262f6ba36197b091f.png

Who needs a beautiful brick structure with amazing courtyard when you can have cookie cutter apartments instead? The quick-buck mentality is a cancer.

To me, the most disappointing--I wouldn't even say rises to the level of upsetting--thing is the lack of imagination or vision. I still don't understand why so many people think in terms of All or Nothing, or either/or. Quite frankly, I think the sanctuary structure is mediocre architecturally (I think it came later) and is a bland, "tasteful" midcentury gesture toward "class," so I'm sanguine about it going; the (educational?) building connecting the two wings is less remarkable--although probably was of quality--but I wouldn't protest vociferously against its demolition.

But...but the (I would imagine) old sanctuary to the left--it must've been the 1917 element--had real character and more individuality: It was the element that should've been salvaged, IMHO. It sits right along the side street, so it could've easily incorporated into the larger development, and tearing down the other structures would've allowed as much continuous development space as they needed. That's a failure of vision, imagination, and--dare I say it--taste and discretion.

But, maybe, all the structures were in bad shape and couldn't reasonably be salvaged. I'll try and be charitable. 

• Like 3

On 1/9/2023 at 10:01 AM, tarhoosier said:

Maybe thirty five years ago my uncle was driving this way from Indiana and wanted to visit me. Pre-GPS, pre-mobile phone, I told him to take I-85 and then at any exit go to a phone and call me and I would coach him from there or fetch him if it were close enough. I sat at home awaiting the call. "Ring, Ring" "I am at a station at Glenwood Drive exit." I was unaware of such an exit or street though I had lived in Charlotte for quite a few years at that time. "Go back onto the interstate and choose another exit." I told him. Next one was more successful. I still have no idea why that exit was necessary, even less so now.

How many of us have been on Glenwood drive intentionally and know where it connects? 

Many, many times. Even 35 years ago!

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, kermit said:

Not many details but promising.

Is this to get in front of the I-77 widening, and using the widening project to potentially better integrate west end & uptown?  $1.6 not nearly enough to actually design a solution, so instead this will study the prospect of finding a solution?

10 hours ago, RANYC said:

Is this to get in front of the I-77 widening, and using the widening project to potentially better integrate west end & uptown?  $1.6 not nearly enough to actually design a solution, so instead this will study the prospect of finding a solution?

Maybe I missed something that is published but I assumed widening wouldn't start until Remount since 77 through Wilkinson/Freedom/277 onramp is all 4 lanes.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Sitting at my home in Wesley Heights watching holiday programming yesterday evening and I hear 8-9 very loud gunshots.  Immediately checked my windows and, of course, saw nothing.  Then, this morning, I read on Joe Bruno's twitter feed that someone was shot at the Bojangles at West Trade and I-77.  "Victim" now at the hospital with life-threatening injuries.  This can and does happy anywhere in Charlotte, yes?  Or should I be packing my things and finding a new spot in town?  Feels like gunshots have become a weekly or bi-weekly occurrence here and I've never in my life lived in an area where I have heard these on a somewhat regular basis and learned to dismiss the sounds.

Edited by RANYC
  • Sad 1

Someone being shot at that Bojangles is surprising to me but not very as it’s a public affordable restaurant near major thoroughfares. If someone gets shot in a residential portion of a gentrifying neighborhood (such as Wesley Heights) I would be certainly be most concerned.

As someone living in a similar inner ring neighborhood with a Bojangles nearby I can tell you I feel safe in my home but wouldn’t go to somewhere like a Bojangles or a convenience store too late at night. Property and personal crimes are low in my residential neighborhood but personal crimes like what happened at your Bojangles are always a risk in spaces like that, as is being collateral to one. 

I personally don’t think you are not safe where you live. That being said if you don’t feel safe going to your neighborhood’s shared amenity spaces late at night, or because you can hear other people become victims of crime that is also something to consider. Feeling safe can be as important as being safe.

On 12/17/2023 at 5:28 AM, RANYC said:

Sitting at my home in Wesley Heights watching holiday programming yesterday evening and I hear 8-9 very loud gunshots.  Immediately checked my windows and, of course, saw nothing.  Then, this morning, I read on Joe Bruno's twitter feed that someone was shot at the Bojangles at West Trade and I-77.  "Victim" now at the hospital with life-threatening injuries.  This can and does happy anywhere in Charlotte, yes?  Or should I be packing my things and finding a new spot in town?  Feels like gunshots have become a weekly or bi-weekly occurrence here and I've never in my life lived in an area where I have heard these on a somewhat regular basis and learned to dismiss the sounds.

Blame game over spilled drink at Bojangles leads to shootout, CMPD says – WSOC TV

suspect arrested and it is unbelievable someone would shoot someone over a spilled drink.  

Here is a crime mapping tool I tell my clients to use if they have questions about an area or anywhere.    I always look for the more serious incidents not smaller stuff reported. 

CrimeMapping.com - Helping You Build a Safer Community

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1