Favorite Restaurant

GaTechGuy

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sunset Grille (Hillsboro Village) and Cafe Zola (West End) are my picks for fine dining. As far as TexMex food (not the cheap generic stuff), La Paz (Green Hills) is wonderful. As far as faster food goes, Philips Delicatesin(Downtown and Brentwood) and SATCO (downtown and West End) are my absolute favorites. Jacks BBQ and Rippy's downtown are my favorite places for barbecue. Vittles (Brentwood) is one of my favorite southern places to eat, and finally, Wolfgang Puck's (Cool Springs) is great for "gourmet fast food".

For those trendy little nights out, nothing beat the Germantown Cafe for me. Also in Germantown is Monnell's when you're feeling social, the old victorian house is a great complement to good food. For those meat nights, the Stoney River in Cool Springs is hard to beat (and sometimes hard to pay for). My Italian standby is Sole Mio downtown (it's even become the Mother's Day tradition for our family). I agree, the Sunset Grille is unbeatable. For a Sunday morning preparing for a nice walk downtown, the old time diner, Hermitage Cafe will make you a great breakfast (and generally provide some very interesting people watching...you might have lost people trying to find the interstate, locals from Rutledge Hill, musician's from a long night of recording, and the usual nuts).

Speaking of food. I read yesterday that IHOP is scoping out locations downtown. They said they'd like to be in the city center, smack downtown. Personally, I think this would be a great asset to downtown. Panera Bread was mentioned for the retail bottom floor of the Kress, but I'm not sure if anything has come of that. IHOP said they would love to be a part of a mixed use development. With all the restaurants down there, something like this might be a good addition...something bright and open and full of pancakes.

Demos downtown on Commerce/3rd without a doubt due to the best steak and chicken/rice soup EVER (IMO)!!!

Salathai on West End is spectacular as far as Thai goes.

Feista Mexicana on 4th S and La Hacienda in "Little Mexico"/Nolensville Rd are good Mexican joints.

House of Pizza in the Arcade is really good pizza.

Pirahna's on 2nd Avenue it a neat place for a unique sandwich too

i'd say for steaks, it would have to be ruth's chris. flemings and the palm aren't far behind that. for burgers, it's definatly fat mo's. italian would probably be bucca di beppo or sole mio. sushi would either be taste of tokyo or miyako. for atmosphere i'd say southstreet bar and grill. that place one a nice summer night on the porch is a great place to just chill out with some cobbler and people watch. oh yeah, one of the best is also the melting pot. mmmmmmmm

Demos downtown on Commerce/3rd without a doubt due to the best steak and chicken/rice soup EVER (IMO)!!!

I agree - used to eat at Demo's when I lived in the area. Also (even though it's from Memphis) I love Corky's. But Calhoun's (is that right?) has good biscuits & bbq.

Also I can't forget Rotier's!

Speaking of food. I read yesterday that IHOP is scoping out locations downtown. They said they'd like to be in the city center, smack downtown. Personally, I think this would be a great asset to downtown. Panera Bread was mentioned for the retail bottom floor of the Kress, but I'm not sure if anything has come of that. IHOP said they would love to be a part of a mixed use development. With all the restaurants down there, something like this might be a good addition...something bright and open and full of pancakes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good deal! I think by the time some of these condos/lofts/apartments are finished, DT could support something like that (IHOP being open all day). Like I said, my aunt will be living in Kress, I'm sure that she would love to have a Panera Bread so close!

Maybe in a short time some lite chain retail could come in....like a Radio Shack or something.

Sushi is my favorite and the best place for that is Sapporo's in Rivergate.  You might pay a lot but it is well worth it...blows places like Taste of Tokyo out of the water.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

have you been to that new place that opened up in cool springs? it's one of those kinds with the moving belt that takes the sushi throughout the bar. i've heard that sapporo's is really good, but unfortunatly i rarely get out to rivergate.

have you been to that new place that opened up in cool springs? it's one of those kinds with the moving belt that takes the sushi throughout the bar. i've heard that sapporo's is really good, but unfortunatly i rarely get out to rivergate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've already been there. The attraction is in the novelty of the belt not the quality of the sushi. It's ok though. I really like Ken's sushi (off West End) too but with Sapporo's and Kabuto (another pretty good place) right in my back yard I don't go many other places more than a couple times.

I've already been there.  The attraction is in the novelty of the belt not the quality of the sushi. It's ok though.  I really like Ken's sushi (off West End) too but with Sapporo's and Kabuto (another pretty good place) right in my back yard I don't go many other places more than a couple times.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i was hoping that it would be really good. i'll probably still drop by and see how it is. i think i'll go try those other places you've mentioned too. hey dave, maybe we could all get together and go get some sushi one day. btw, the best stuff i've ever had is at a place in nyc called tao. it's rather trendy (they have pachinko machines in the stalls????) but the food is outstanding.

Let's not forget Ru Sans in the Gulch. I had a good experience there. The bf just can't eat sushi, so if anyone wants to imbibe in sushi sometime, let me know. I'll need the company.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ru Sans is good but usually crowded. It's funny how many peope won't eat it and usually over half a sushi menu is actually cooked fish or non-fish choices even.

In town this past week and took the wife out to Casabona...great atmosphere and excellent Rigatoni Bolognese...on previous trips I have enjoyed the Palm, and Calypso Cafe.

I'm not much of a coffee nut, but I would be up for that.  I'm sure I could find something on the menu to have...lol.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My all time favorite, that can not be topped, is PF Changs, the one on west end is better than the one in cool springs. Amazing Chinese Bistro that has the best food ever!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm not much of a coffee nut, but I would be up for that.  I'm sure I could find something on the menu to have...lol.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My all time favorite, that can not be topped, is PF Changs, the one on west end is better than the one in cool springs. Amazing Chinese Bistro that has the best food ever!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Archived