Favorite Restaurants in Georgia

ironchapman

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good idea - mine are Williamson's seafood in Savannah (though I heard the place burnt down), Nu-way hot dogs in Macon, and lastly Harold's bbq, Fishmonger, Ruth Chris (I know it's a national chain, but good steak), & lastly Rea's Bluebird Cafe (my friend) in Atlanta.

Here are a few one-of-a-kinds that I liked:

-"Sam & Rosco's" in Douglasville--Upscale Italian eating with the food to match.

-"Alpine Steakhouse" in D'ville (Douglasville)--good steaks, if a bit pricy. Also, I know the owners.

-"Latitude 31" in Jekyll Island--wonderful seafood, just seafood. Used to be a dock house where the Rockefellers, Morgans, Hearsts, Pulitzers, etc. used to dock their yachts before they stepped foot on the Island (the island used to be a VERY ritzy club for the rich and famous of their day).

-"The Dillard House" in North GA--good food, a preset menu, but very good. Everyone gets the same thing (various Southern Specialties).

-"Mary Mac's Tea Room" in Atlanta--very much an "Old South" place. Expect that kind of food. Very nice place and the food is good, too. All kinds of Old South Memorabilia, like newpaper clippings of the debut of "Gone With the Wind".

----Interesting Tidbit: To be get the senior's discount at Mary Mac's, you need to be at least 100 years old. They have a wall of fame with every "senior" that has visited the place.

This one isn't exactly a hole-in-the-wall place, but its definately one of the coolest, and most unique in the state, and the South for that matter- The Sundial Restaurant.

Columbia, SC has a rotating restaurant as well, but it is more of a conference place than a regular restaurant.

There is a nice "Mick's" restaurtant across the street from Crawford Long Hospital in Atlanta. It is in an old building that probably dates to the early 1900's (it srtill has real metal tiles on the ceiling. I'll post a pic or two of it sometime.

Next door to the "Mick's" is a resttaurant knoown as "The Pleasant Pheasant". Never been there myself, but I hear it is good.

In Douglasville, the most famous restaurant is probably a (interesting surprise) French/Cajun restaurant located in D'ville downtown along the railroad tracks. It is called "Gumbeaux's". Very nice place for good Cajun food. It ois known for having some of the hottest Gumbo, etc. outside of New Orleans.

It is odd though that nothing else in D'ville is French or Cajun.

Augusta

- Sconyer's - former mayor of Augusta hasa BBQ restaurant only open Friday, Saturday and (possibly) Sunday. Haven't been there in years (since i move to Atlanta).. but from what I remember, it was worth it.

Midtown Atlanta

- Fat Matt's - has a some really good BBQ.

- Varsity - good cheap hamburgers and very delic onion rings.. try the orange freeze.

Marrietta

- Pot Belly's - located on East Peidmont and Roswell Rd. Good ribs.

Decatur

- Micks's - the same Mick's in Downtown. I love the Pecan Chicken plate.

Chamblee

- Penang - malaysian cuisine. Sooo good. Try the rotti canai appetizer and any Ayam dish... or fish dish.

- Canton House - always liked their Dim-sum.. unfortunately it is closed and being remodeled... actually demolished and being rebuilt. Located on Buford Hwy.

Doraville

- Pho Hoa - located in "Asian Square" shopping center, my wife and love the soups.

- New Seoul Restaurant - serves a Korean specialty sausage called "soon-dae", Koreans love it.. as do I. Located

- Cho Dang Tofu House - Another Korean specialty restaurant. They mainly serve spicy tofu soup, soon-doo-boo. It is very delicious. I tend to get Tofu Soup with Pork. Unless you really like SPICY, order medium. They have a combo where you can get it with korean beef bbq, kalbi.

- Oriental Pearl - another dim-sum place, very busy though. Located on New P'tree.

REQUESTS

- BBQ Buffet - I miss Augusta because of it's proximity to several BBQ buffet restaurants which serve Carolina Pulled Pork. Can anyone recommend a place in Atlanta (vicinity).

- Italian Restaurant - I took my wife to Maggiano's the past weekend for the first time.. we waited 1.5 hours to get a table and did not like the food... it was a bit bland (watered down). Can anyone recommend a tasty italian restaurant with a lot of good taste with stick to your ribs food?

There is an old pirates' tavern in Savannah. It is very historic. There are two hidden passage ways (one used for abducting sailors and the other's use os unknown) that have been discovered at this time. There are likely many more somewhere in the restaurant.

Very spooky, but interesting visit and good food.

There is an old pirates' tavern in Savannah. It is very historic. There are two hidden passage ways (one used for abducting sailors and the other's use os unknown) that have been discovered at this time. There are likely many more somewhere in the restaurant.

Very spooky, but interesting visit and good food.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be the Pirate's House, a kitschy fun place to eat.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a place on Jekyll Island called "Blackbeard's". Good seafood.

It usually has a long wait, though.

There's a place called Provino's in Douglasville that has some good, high-class Italian. Don't expect to get Pizza, though. Great spghetti and Lasagna.

On Douglasville's outskirts along Thornton Road, there is a small Italian-Greek restaurant called "The Olive Tree'. For cheap prices, it has good food, but don't expect gourmet-style food. Like I said, pretty good for the price, though. Also, it almost never has a long wait for a table or food.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been around much, but this already got bumped so I'll give it a quick response.

My budget in Atlanta was always, well, limited, and my dining experiences tended to reflect that. My favorite (cheap) places:

Eats, on Ponce. Spinach tortellini + marinara + mushrooms = best $6 meal known to man.

Savage Pizza, on Moreland in L5P. The tomato basil pizza is probably the best pizza I've ever had, anywhere, to the dismay of my New Yorker father.

Burrito Art -- I think there's a couple of these, actually, but I've only been to the one right next to Emory, I believe on N. Decatur. Amazing how you can put all kinds of stuff in a burrito with rice and it tastes great.

There are more... the Brake Pad in College Park was a neat place for really great burgers on the most amazing buns anywhere, though it was a block from high school for me and I never really went out of my way for it. WaHo, always, and I'm partial to Moe's even though they're taking over the world.

I don't usually "dine" in other places in Georgia so all of mine are in Atlanta

Veni Vidi Vici

Hard Rock Cafe

Hooters :D

Ted's Montana Grill

Bazzarr

Loca Luna

Grant Central pizza

Pleasant Peasant

Zuma Sushi

Panoramia

Johny Rockets ( underground )

( kidding about the Hooters)

Thai Chili in Toco Hills (DeKalb)

Taqueria Del Sol (ATL)

Teeple's Seafood in Thunderbolt

Canoe (Vinings)

Highland Tap (VA Highlands)----ask for a burger----even though they aren't on the menu and a Sweetwater 420 on tap----good stuff!

Being a small town 'Coochee (Willacoochee) only has two dining places. If you ever come through maybe you should try them out.

Sambo's

Marry's Restaurant

Archived