Building Height Rank

I posted this in another thread, but keep forgetting where I put it when I want to look at it. So I'm making this new thread for it. Thanks to Baines for some info on the Power Block condos heights. This is all a best guess right now, and could change.

Updated 01/30/2008:

520ft. W Hotel and Residences (OneTen Westminster) Indefinitely Delayed

428ft. Bank of America ("Superman") Building

410ft. One Financial Plaza ("Hospital Trust Tower")

380ft. The Residences at the Westin Providence

329ft. Westin Providence

311ft. Textron Tower

310ft. Empire at Broadway Indefinitely Delayed

310ft. Power Block Condo (Gulf Station) Indefinitely Delayed

285ft. 50 Kennedy Plaza

250ft. Vista Della Torre (Atwells Parcel)

175-275ft.(?) GSA Building

239ft. Grant's Block

237ft. Blue Cross Blue Shield Headquarters

235ft. WaterPlace Tower

210-230ft. 190 Dyer Street

223ft. The State House

220ft. The Biltmore

210-230ft. Metro Lofts (West Service Road and Washington)

216ft. The County Courthouse

213ft. WaterPlace Tower

180-200ft. Sierra Suites

190ft. YMCA (Crossroads) Building

185ft. First Baptist Church

180ft.(?) Hilton addition

180ft. Brown Sciences Library

175ft. Dominica Manor Federal Hill

145ft. Belmonte Castello (Federal Hill)

* Existing

* Proposed

* In-Progress

Edited by Cotuit

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cotuit, Im confused about the powerblock heights.  You have two listed at over 300.  By condo tower do you mean the hilton residences at the former gulf station.  Also, where will the second tower be located?  Also, whats going on with the old fire station?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In another thread Baines stated the Power Block condos would come in around 300-310 feet. There are 3 towers in the Power Block plan, one at the former circular gas station site, one attached to the current Holiday Inn (where the Holiday Inn's parking garage is now) and one at an undisclosed location (my money is on the so-called "Atwells Parcel" south of Dominica Manor between Federal Street and Broadway on the west side of the highway). I'm not sure which of those 3 Baines was referring to.

I haven't heard any new news on the old Public Safety Complex in a while. Mesollela apparently has development rights to it, but he seems to be having trouble getting financing for his plans. His most recent plan would put a tower in the parking lot along Broadway and would include some configuration of hotel, offices, and residential spaces.

Frankie, there is no solid evidence as to the origin of the daily news building in the superman series. Those at city hall in LA have suggested that their building influenced the depcition. There is also the daily news building in NY....some claim that this was the model. Further, you have the "superman building" in St louis. The cartoonest responsible for the design has stated that he was not influenced by any one building...which I find hard to beleive

Frankie, there is no solid evidence as to the origin of the daily news building in the superman series.  Those at city hall in LA have suggested that their building influenced the depcition.  There is also the daily news building in NY....some claim that this was the model.  Further, you have the "superman building" in St louis.  The cartoonest responsible for the design has stated that he was not influenced by any one building...which I find hard to beleive

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WHATEVER!!!!!!!!! All I'm saying is that I grew up beliving that the Industrial National Bank building was used as the background for the Superman series because just about everyone in the state belived this. Yes, this was the name of the bank before it changed to Fleet. Wasen't the superman building actually a building in Manhatten?

frankie, I'm from r.i. too ..

and have heard the version that it got it's nickname only because it resembles the building that was in the series. So we've both heard what we heard..whatever is fact doesn't really matter.

just seems like you had a problem with everyone calling it the "superman" building by the way you worded that Post

frankie, I'm from r.i. too ..

and have heard the version that it got it's nickname only because it resembles the building that was in the series. So we've both heard what we heard..whatever is fact doesn't really matter.

just seems like you had a problem with everyone calling it the "superman" building by the way you worded that Post

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Grow up, kid!

Settle down guys, it's not really that important.

I assumed it was called the Superman Building because it looked like the building, then that morphed into people thinking it actually was the building.

Settle down guys, it's not really that important.

I assumed it was called the Superman Building because it looked like the building, then that morphed into people thinking it actually was the building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you!!!!!! All I was trying to point out was that it has been erroneously misreported for years that the Industrial National Bank Building was the superman building.

In another thread Baines stated the Power Block condos would come in around 300-310 feet. There are 3 towers in the Power Block plan, one at the former circular gas station site, one attached to the current Holiday Inn (where the Holiday Inn's parking garage is now) and one at an undisclosed location (my money is on the so-called "Atwells Parcel" south of Dominica Manor between Federal Street and Broadway on the west side of the highway). I'm not sure which of those 3 Baines was referring to.

I haven't heard any new news on the old Public Safety Complex in a while. Mesollela apparently has development rights to it, but he seems to be having trouble getting financing for his plans. His most recent plan would put a tower in the parking lot along Broadway and would include some configuration of hotel, offices, and residential spaces.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi guys-

The "Atwells Parcel" that Cotuit mentions is the wildcard in terms of height..my info is between 250-300 but it is not clear yet. The other 2 Power Block condos are certain to be 300+

I was told the Mayor has an announcement on the old Public Safety Complex in 2 months...no idea.

As to Mesollela, the Fogarty Bldg site is sladed to be his new 13 story hotel - it is better suited to a have a smaller footprint and a taller (25) tower. Is that still on?

I suspect the uncertinty will settle in 3 months or less.

If these are all built that would give us more buildings greater than 300ft (9) than hartford, which is slated to have 7

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No big deal with Hartford...they have always overreached.

It is not in the same class as Providence. Watch once Route 195 is moved!

The "Atwells Parcel" that Cotuit mentions is the wildcard in terms of height..my info is between 250-300 but it is not clear yet. The other 2 Power Block condos are certain to be 300+

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you know that the "Atwells Parcel" is the 3rd piece of the Power Block, or are you guessing too?

I was told the Mayor has an announcement on the old Public Safety Complex in 2 months...no idea.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's been mentioned before, I'm really hoping it's not Mesollela, he doesn't really seem to know what he's doing, and is always trying to feed from the public teet. I think we're beyond having to throw money at developers, snooze you lose Mesollela.

As to Mesollela, the Fogarty Bldg site is sladed to be his new 13 story hotel - it is better suited to a have a smaller footprint and a taller (25) tower. Is that still on?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is what was in the Journal for the Fogarty site:

v21-FogartyBuilding002.jpg

He's supposed to break ground in July. He got some concessions from the city/state but they've imposed strict development guidelines. I'll have to dig up the article about it.

Do you know that the "Atwells Parcel" is the 3rd piece of the Power Block, or are you guessing too?

That's been mentioned before, I'm really hoping it's not Mesollela, he doesn't really seem to know what he's doing, and is always trying to feed from the public teet. I think we're beyond having to throw money at developers, snooze you lose Mesollela.

This is what was in the Journal for the Fogarty site:

v21-FogartyBuilding002.jpg

He's supposed to break ground in July. He got some concessions from the city/state but they've imposed strict development guidelines. I'll have to dig up the article about it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Atwells site...yes, it is a guess but by all the info I have it fits (22-27 floors, walk to Federal Hill restaurants, etc.)

As to the Fogarty site; this is Mesollela's last chance. I can not understand why the height restriction by the city - thanks for the photo!

I have a question...any artist rendering of the new version of One Ten??

The Atwells site...yes, it is a guess but by all the info I have it fits (22-27 floors, walk to Federal Hill restaurants, etc.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Duany was hinting the hell out of that site when he was here. He said someone was ready to build. I can't really imagine any other site near the Power Block that would fit the bill.

I have a question...any artist rendering of the new version of One Ten??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not yet. When GTECH was going through design review they weren't releasing any updates. Likely 110 won't release anything else until it's close to official.

As to the Fogarty site; this is Mesollela's last chance. I can not understand why the height restriction by the city - thanks for the photo!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's some more detail on the Mesollela plan for the Fogarty Building: link

Under the terms of Mesolella's agreement with the Redevelopment Agency, he would be obliged to move quickly, consummating a purchase by June 30 and commencing construction within 120 days of the closing. He would be required to complete the project within two years of beginning construction.

HIS PLAN closely resembles what was on the table in negotiations with state government last summer: a 13-story hotel between Sabin and Fountain streets with a full-service restaurant containing about 150 seats, a light-fare pub with about 75 seats, meeting rooms, a small ballroom, an indoor swimming pool, a fitness center and one level of underground parking.

Mesolella would like to have the hotel connected to the Convention Center by a pedestrian bridge to be built at state expense, to have parking spaces set aside in the Convention Center garage for hotel guests, and to book rooms for convention-goers -- all as originally proposed to the state.

As for the height, I don't think the planning department is holding him back on that, that's just what he proposed. An early proposal did call for something about the height of the current Westin there. Interestingly Proc. Group is partially financing this.

Hi guys-

I suspect the uncertinty will settle in 3 months or less.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, in another thread I mentioned that the mayor stated that he'd have an annoucement on LaSalle Sq in a few months.