Building Height Rank

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot are attributed to Rand Huck, and there is an rhuck who posts here from time to time, I'm assuming they are one and the same.

Yep, that's me. Some of my diagrams are a little out of proportion, and a lot of them are many years old now. Hasbro Children's Hospital was done entirely in MS Paint 5 years ago. I've since expanded my horizons. ;) The New Hilton Condo/Hotel was added the day it was mentioned in ProJo... I'm sure the one that would eventually be proposed will look significantly different.

Edited by rhuck

I wasn't making fun of ya rhuck ;)

I like the drawings.. just like google earth, they force me to stare at them for long periods of time.

Speaking of google earth, I had NO CLUE that you could make the buildings 3D in certain cities (going into the layers section)

unfortunately Prov. isn't one of them.

Edited by CtownMikey

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

How depressing... Not many new tall buildings slated for the US. :( And the ones being built are amongst the most dull in that worldwide list. I keep hearing everyone talk about how good our economy is compared to the rest of the world, but then, nothing significant is being built at all here... Interesting...

- Garris

having read through 100's of posts on these topics, I've lost track of what is the most current info. Is the "final" height of 110 confirmed???

I'm trying to keep the heights in the first post of this thread updated as revisions happen.

why is economy about height?

The way I see it, those other economies are behind us, as in, just starting to build with height.

And in this day and age, 900m is feasible and not as expensive as it was when the empire state or twin towers were built.

Had it been possible and cheaper, I'm sure new york would have less buildings, but with more height. I love it the way it turned out personally.. and I think it's terribly stupid to be building 20+ highrises at ONCE. I'd love to see how this Dubai area is in 100 years. Oil wont last forever, and neither will their money.

Well, it's not, entirely. It's about jobs. In most downtowns now, most of the construction is for residential, not commercial. Even here in Providence. And its not because the commercial isn't being constructed in cities but is being built elsewhere. There no blossoming construction of suburban office parks around New England either...

...in this day and age, 900m is feasible and not as expensive as it was when the empire state or twin towers were built.

Which is why I find it more disturbing that they're not being built now...

- Garris

The way I see it, those other economies are behind us, as in, just starting to build with height.

And in this day and age, 900m is feasible and not as expensive as it was when the empire state or twin towers were built.

Had it been possible and cheaper, I'm sure new york would have less buildings, but with more height. I love it the way it turned out personally.. and I think it's terribly stupid to be building 20+ highrises at ONCE. I'd love to see how this Dubai area is in 100 years. Oil wont last forever, and neither will their money.

Dubai is an interesting place because their money doesn't really come from oil. Their money comes from tourism and also from non-OPEC controlled industry. I say this is interesting because they basically embraced capitalism and foreign investment...all the things that Arabs use to justify their hate of Israel on top of the basic religious differences. I'm curious what a country like the UAE will mean as an example to other Arab countries, which only claim to tolerate US culture. I was interested on the list to see that mega-huge complex in Mecca, for example.

I'm just curious what is going to happen in these cities when the radical muslims declare that their brothers have sold out to Western interests. Will they declare a jihad on Dubai?

I'm just curious what is going to happen in these cities when the radical muslims declare that their brothers have sold out to Western interests. Will they declare a jihad on Dubai?

Thanks for the analysis and info on Dubai. I have nothing to add from my own readings on the topic.

As to your implied question, I fear this is a real possibility. The question I have is will Dubai try to take the course that Saudi tried for so long (eventually unsuccessfully) and try to buy them off with money and back room support for as long as possible?

- Garris

CtownMikey... thank you for mentioning Dubai in this forum... now as for me, i had no clue what so ever about dubai... after reading this post and doing my investigation... i can only say, i was speechless.. i had no idea , projects of this immense size was going on.. i think it'll be a great idea to start a new post about dubai and UAE. Not only because of all the construction and ideas going on, but the philosophical idea behind it all. I dont know about anyone here, but after reading soo much, i plan to visit this so called "greatest" city in the world.

CtownMikey... thank you for mentioning Dubai in this forum... now as for me, i had no clue what so ever about dubai... after reading this post and doing my investigation... i can only say, i was speechless.. i had no idea , projects of this immense size was going on.. i think it'll be a great idea to start a new post about dubai and UAE.

Uh, you could just go visit the forum on Dubai on this site instead of starting a thread to talk about Dubai in the Providence site.

:rolleyes:

I feel like dubai is the city equivalent of Walmart. I'll never visit it ;)

Maybe so, but holy crap (excuse the language but it seemed about right) they are in a crazy building boom. Sometimes it can be good to have a king (I know the sheikh is not a king but it sounded good to my anglo saxon ears).

I have a friend who worked in Dubai for 2 years ('98,'99) and she really liked it. I would put it on a list of places to visit.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, getting away from the 2000 footers that they're building in Dubai, as a point of aesthetics I'd like to see OTW be about 40 feet taller than the project is set for right now. Or even 30 feet. It's not the height of the building per se that concerns me. It's the relative size next to its two 400+ foot neighbors. The B of A building stands 428 feet tall (but looks a little smaller because of the tapering top) and the former Hospital Trust building (One Financial Plaza, I think it's called now) stands 408 feet tall. With OTW slated to stand 433 feet, I just keep getting the horrible feeling that Providence is about to get a buzz cut look on a gigantic scale.

I'd like a little differentiation on this new project. But I also want the developers to stay in proportion to the city as it exists now. Not too big. Just a little bigger than they're planning right now. 30 feet, maybe 40 feet tops.

Yes, I know about the spire. Does nothing for me.

Personally, I think the different shapes of the buildings will help define the skyline and keep it

from having the buzzcut effect you are talking about. 110 also gives some depth. Westin II will provide some breadth.

If the spire is done well it will also help with the issue you have.

Perhaps. I just don't want us to end up looking something like this:

100422.jpg

That's Singapore, where the maximum allowable height is 280 meters (919 feet). Consequently, they have 3 buildings that stand exactly that tall. And, predictably, it looks just a wee bit weird -- especially since those 3 buildings are so prominent compared to the other buildings in the city. Which is exactly the situation we would have here (on a much smaller scale).