Building Height Rank

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I don't know where your from, but it was understood around here for years that yes, this building WAS the building used in the old superman series.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was however superimposed into the Ghostbuster seris. If you remember the first one with the state puff marshmellow man.

I posted this in another thread, but keep forgetting where I put it when I want to look at it. So I'm making this new thread for it. Thanks to Baines for some info on the Power Block condos heights. This is all a best guess right now, and could change.

428ft. Bank of America ("Superman") Building

410ft. One Financial Plaza ("Hospital Trust Tower")

400+ft. OneTen Westminster

360ft. Second Westin Tower

329ft. Westin Providence

311ft. Textron Tower

300+ft. Hilton Residences at current Holiday Inn

310ft. Power Block Condo

300ft. Power Block Condo

285ft. 50 Kennedy Plaza

235ft. WaterPlace Tower

223ft. The State House

220ft. The Biltmore

216ft. The County Courthouse

213ft. WaterPlace Tower

200ft. Grant's Block

185ft. First Baptist Church

180ft. Brown Sciences Library

175ft. Dominica Manor Federal Hill

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cotuit-

I just checked the Procaccianti Group website and they have announced that the new Westin tower is going to be 380 feet...not 360. Interesting; while it would not change the "height standings" it does appear to be a bit of a reply to One Ten and would be a very formatable structure with high prestige value.

it is nicknamed the superman building b/c it resembles it.. not because it "was" IT.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i just had to do some snooping and see for myself... here is the original 1950s black and white and color TV series opening credits, and it can be said with some certainty that it is NOT the Industrial Trust building, it is in fact a rather bland faceless "tall" building.

bwtitle.ram (real media)

colortitle.ram (real media)

• 2 weeks later...

When I first moved here every Rhode Islander I met swore up and down that that was the building used in the old Black and White Superman television show AND that it was ALSO the building used in Ghostbusters...

After a while I grew to realize that Rhode Island is really something of its own paradoxical universe, where the laws of reality and logic need not apply. It is a land where cherubic mobsters with names like "Buddy" are re-elected Mayor from prison (only later to go back), where Mr Potato Head is a state official, where rivers are lit on fire and everyone claims that fricken building in downtown Providence was in every movie ever made.

But, thats why we love this place. That and the Olneyville hot wieners - (which by the way, many Rhode Islanders have sworn to me are illegal in many states)

When I first moved here every Rhode Islander I met swore up and down that that was the building used in the old Black and White Superman television show AND that it was ALSO the building used in Ghostbusters...

After a while I grew to realize that Rhode Island is really something of its own paradoxical universe, where the laws of reality and logic need not apply.  It is a land where cherubic mobsters with names like "Buddy" are re-elected Mayor from prison (only later to go back), where Mr Potato Head is a state official, where rivers are lit on fire and everyone claims that fricken building in downtown Providence was in every movie ever made.

But, thats why we love this place.  That and the Olneyville hot wieners - (which by the way, many Rhode Islanders have sworn to me are illegal in many states)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hahahahahahha too funny! Yeah, I've been told many times that wieners are illegal in other states. hehehehehe And buddy never went to prison the first time. He only got convicted of a felony and somehow got re-elected. And we've already been over the fact that 111 Westminster was NOT the superman building. Welcome to RI!

hahahahahahha  too funny!  Yeah, I've been told many times that wieners are illegal in other states.  hehehehehe  And buddy never went to prison the first time. He only got convicted of a felony and somehow got re-elected. And we've already been over the fact that 111 Westminster was NOT the superman building. Welcome to RI!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Back to building heights -

Remember I told you that BlueChip told me that they were adding 3 floors (to 35 floors and 393') plus a lighted tower to reach "well over 400 feet" and that the Procciacanti Group web site has the Westin now up from 356' to 380".

The new renderings will surface on the Westin in June. Any ideas or info on One Ten?

• 2 weeks later...

Two Questions Cotuit: How tall will GTECH be?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure, but it won't even rank in the top 20 for height in the city. I can probably find out.

And also in the One Ten Westminister Forum someone said he saw the new renderings and it is going to be 520 ft. to the top of the spire. Is this true?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope so. I haven't attended any meeting or anything about it, so I don't know where this info is coming from yet.

I know we've talked about it before.. but do you guys n' gals consider it tacky to maybe build taller in the near future?? like 600-1000 feet??  in downtown of course.

If anything, I'd like a few more 500 footers to be built.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is very unlikely that there will be anything over 600 feet in Providence in the next 5 years. As we have the information to date, the One Ten building will have somewhere between 400-440' of actual usable height...the remaining 80-120' being a spire. Unless a major corporation relocates from Boston or elsewhere or the urban residential market booms even more, it is not on the radar.

I agree that a few more 400-500' buildings will add great depth to Downcity and easily surpass Boston in terms of New England's most impressive skyline. One could argue that in 2007 Providence may have the best looking skyline.

It is very unlikely that there will be anything over 600 feet in Providence in the next 5 years. As we have the information to date, the One Ten building will have somewhere between 400-440' of actual usable height...the remaining 80-120' being a spire. Unless a major corporation relocates from Boston or elsewhere or the urban residential market booms even more, it is not on the radar.

I agree that a few more 400-500' buildings will add great depth to Downcity and easily surpass Boston in terms of New England's most impressive skyline. One could argue that in 2007 Providence may have the best looking skyline.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

are there any specific contenders for major companies who may be looking to move soon, that may come up north? or south (from boston)

are there any specific contenders for major companies who may be looking to move soon, that may come up north? or south (from boston)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If Citizens would gobble up a couple more banks they could build us a nice 600 footer.

Speaking of Citizens, nothing has come of that new HQ rumour yet.

If Citizens would gobble up a couple more banks they could build us a nice 600 footer.

Speaking of Citizens, nothing has come of that new HQ rumour yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No news...

That would be great, but would major purchases of other banks actually require a new large building in Downcity, and would the existing building get any tenants?

This is where the city (and state) has to be aggressive with companies in Boston, increase the 400'+ building height area in Downcity, and get a developer interested in a corporate HQ site that houses national RI companies like Amica, CVS, and Hasbro..that could be a tall building.