Building Height Rank

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is there a thread about citizens, or even a link with this rumor?? :)

I can't find anything online :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There have been some hints in the last year in statements from Citizens in Projo articles that they're looking to expand/build, although the term that's been used has been for a Citizen's "campus," which is slightly worrisome...

As Cotuit pointed out, nothing's come of it yet...

Regarding any companies moving here, I don't think it's happening soon. One of the shocking (in my opinion) facts that came out of Prov 2020's analysis is that cost of building/doing business here in Providence is essentially the same as Boston, especially to build. If big business is going to happen here, it will probably be home grown, unless the city/state throws some big incentives around.

- Garris

This is where the city (and state) has to be aggressive with companies in Boston, increase the 400'+ building height area in Downcity, and get a developer interested in a corporate HQ site that houses national RI companies like Amica, CVS, and Hasbro..that could be a tall building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've always thought that CVS should move their corporate offices downtown and leave the call center and other work force in Woonsocket. They're always expanding their campus there and could probably free up some space by locating the execs here. The same with Hasbro. There's no more manufacturing in Pawtucket so they should sell their Pawtucket property after building their Hq here. The state/city should have been working on this for years. If they did, we could have completed capital center years ago. Nortek should have been another target. Back in the late 80's they were actually looking to build a new corporate office building at the corners of Eddy & Fountain Sts. This is behind the Biltmore Hotel and across from the journal. I can't remember why they didn't build it. American Power Conversion was also seriously looking at moving to the city, but I think Cianci screwed that up. Hopefully Textron will remain in the city. I wouldn't count on Amica moving back to the city. They have a nice complex up there in Lincoln. But then again GTECH has a nice complex in West Greenwich also. :)

... The state/city should have been working on this for years. If they did, we could have completed capital center years ago...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It seems like the city & state only get involved AFTER someone threatens to move their corporation out of state. As witnessed by GTECH and now Brown & Sharp.

If I were Hasbro/CVS/APC or any other large RI corporation, I'd be threatening to move just to watch the state scramble to kiss my @ss to get me to stay!

If I were Hasbro/CVS/APC or any other large RI corporation, I'd be threatening to move just to watch the state scramble to kiss my @ss to get me to stay!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly, after the GTECH deal, I'm surprised we haven't seen more of this. Although, it's not a cheap threat, if CVS or Hasbro were to threaten to move to the South for example, they would either have to lay out a lot of capital to move their workers, or to retrain new workers in their new hometown.

Exactly, after the GTECH deal, I'm surprised we haven't seen more of this. Although, it's not a cheap threat, if CVS or Hasbro were to threaten to move to the South for example, they would either have to lay out a lot of capital to move their workers, or to retrain new workers in their new hometown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm just guessing here, but there's so little "big business" here in RI, that I don't think the state (or city) would want to anger the few local municipalities that have one by trying to lure them to Providence.

- Garris

I don't think Providence would or should try to poach companies from other towns within the state. But I'm surprised more companies haven't threatened to leave to try to get some sort of sweet deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Check this out. If eveything shakes out as planned, 5 of our 10 tallest buildings will be new by the end of the decade.

00/01 520ft. OneTen Westminster (???)

01/02 428ft. Bank of America ("Superman") Building

02/03 410ft. One Financial Plaza ("Hospital Trust Tower")

00/04 360ft. Second Westin Tower

00/05 330ft. Hilton Residences at current Holiday Inn

03/06 329ft. Westin Providence

04/07 311ft. Textron Tower

00/08 310ft. Power Block Condo

00/09 300ft. Power Block Condo

05/10 285ft. 50 Kennedy Plaza

00/11 235ft. WaterPlace Tower

06/12 223ft. The State House

07/13 220ft. The Biltmore

08/14 216ft. The County Courthouse

00/15 213ft. WaterPlace Tower

00/16 200ft. Grant's Block

09/17 190ft. YMCA (Crossroads) Building

10/18 185ft. First Baptist Church

Current Rank/New Rank

I wish the westin would be 380 :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As do I, but the current Westin looks mighty tall, and I imagine the new building will look great also and probably look taller than its height, since it's narrower.

2 of the 5/10 are the proposed Power Block buildings, which I'll believe in when they break ground... If they do come to pass, they, as well as the Hilton tower, will look bigger than their heights due to their location on the hill...

Still, even if the Power Block towers don't come to pass, 4/10 in our top 10 will still be new, which is impressive, and certainly different from most cities in New England, if not the whole NE. I'm less concerned with overall brute height than with the idea that everything "fits" on the skyline, which, thus far, it appears everything will do quite well. The addition of the G-Tech building, Waterplace condos, and West Side towers will also extend the mental boundries of what we think of as being "downtown" and of being "the city" beyond the one stretch along Washington in the CBD.

- Garris

The addition of the G-Tech building, Waterplace condos, and West Side towers will also extend the mental boundries of what we think of as being "downtown" and of being "the city" beyond the one stretch along Washington in the CBD.

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is what I'm the most excited about, the fact that our downtown stretch of dense buildings will now be extended up the hill to merge with the State House. Especially since Francis Street is so wide, with GTECH to balance out the mall side it will seem much more the scale that it should be and not so one-sided. Waterplace, though not on Francis, will help this feel too.

On another note, I had to drive down 146 south the other day, and there is an amazing view of the skyline from the highway right at the Mineral Spring Ave exit, you can see the whole entire thing from the East Side (Brown University library? building) over to the highrise tower on Federal Hill. I was amazed at how prominent the skyline looks from this angle, so imagine how it will look once all these projects are done. I gotta get a picture from this angle, but that would require pulling over on 146 and gettin outta my car while dodging crazy drivers on the highway from hell...

As do I, but the current Westin looks mighty tall, and I imagine the new building will look great also and probably look taller than its height, since it's narrower. 

2 of the 5/10 are the proposed Power Block buildings, which I'll believe in when they break ground...  If they do come to pass, they, as well as the Hilton tower, will look bigger than their heights due to their location on the hill...

Still, even if the Power Block towers don't come to pass, 4/10 in our top 10 will still be new, which is impressive, and certainly different from most cities in New England, if not the whole NE.  I'm less concerned with overall brute height than with the idea that everything "fits" on the skyline, which, thus far, it appears everything will do quite well.  The addition of the G-Tech building, Waterplace condos, and West Side towers will also extend the mental boundries of what we think of as being "downtown" and of being "the city" beyond the one stretch along Washington in the CBD.

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree...even at 360 the narrow build will make it appear taller and the location itself will create a very strong statement all along Route 95 and in the Downcity. The Hilton condo tower will also be a key due to its prime location on the hill on Route 95...huge visual.

Even more importantly is expanding the Downcity with a depth instead of the current "strip" on Kennedy Palza in the CBD. That will 1) create a large and diverse skyline that to the naked eye will appear even taller than reality and 2) will encourage developers (hopefully like Citizens) to build somewhere within the much expanded area.

• 5 weeks later...

If these are all built that would give us more buildings greater than 300ft (9) than hartford, which is slated to have 7

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hartford currently has 10 buildings of 300ft+

535 - Cityplace I

527 - Travelers Tower

522 - Goodwin Square Tower

440 - Residences at Hartford 21 (the steel is up to the 320ft mark)

365 - Prudential Building

360 - Bank of America Tower

335 - United Technologies Headquarters

312 - The Hartford Insurance Company

305 - "Stilts" Building

300 - Hartford Steam Boiler Insurance

Hartford currently has 10 buildings of 300ft+

535 - Cityplace I

527 - Travelers Tower

522 - Goodwin Square Tower

440 - Residences at Hartford 21 (the steel is up to the 320ft mark)

365 - Prudential Building

360 - Bank of America Tower

335 - United Technologies Headquarters

312 - The Hartford Insurance Company

305 - "Stilts" Building

300 - Hartford Steam Boiler Insurance

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And you have to admit that it does look impressive from just about any angle of approach to the city. Like Providence, all of the towers in Hartford are clustered together. I like that. You should get a thread started in the Hartford area so we have it for reference like we do here for Providence.

Edited by KRC

This is what I'm the most excited about, the fact that our downtown stretch of dense buildings will now be extended up the hill to merge with the State House.  Especially since Francis Street is so wide, with GTECH to balance out the mall side it will seem much more the scale that it should be and not so one-sided.  Waterplace, though not on Francis, will help this feel too. 

On another note, I had to drive down 146 south the other day, and there is an amazing view of the skyline from the highway right at the Mineral Spring Ave exit, you can see the whole entire thing from the East Side (Brown University library? building) over to the highrise tower on Federal Hill.  I was amazed at how prominent the skyline looks from this angle, so imagine how it will look once all these projects are done.  I gotta get a picture from this angle, but that would require pulling over on 146 and gettin outta my car while dodging crazy drivers on the highway from hell...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I took a pic around 3 years ago for my currently defunct site. Sadly, I cropped out some of the rest of the skyline and focused on the main downtown. I can't find the full picture.

In looking at this picture, I've been trying to figure out why it looked so weird, then I realized I had taken it while it was overcast, and I attempted to change the sky. Blech, that came out awful. :rofl:

skyline.jpg

Ironically, a CVS Good Samaritan Van stopped behind me and asked me if I had car trouble... now, why can't they come when I do have a problem?

Edited by rhuck

1. Hilton condos on hold until market impact of all the projects under consturction is understood.

2. Proposed tower at the former Gulf Station is a dream at the moment.

3. Metro Lofts - west side of the city between Washington and Westminster along the service road, not at Broadway. 210' to 230' in present design. Application to Zoning Board in the next 30 to 60 days.

4. former public safety - expect two announcements in the coming weeks. First about the developer second about a project. Expect two towers in the 150 to 250 range. This could change.

5. Grants Block - 239' going to zoning board in the next two months.

6. 190 Dyer Street - proposal for 210' to 230' office tower. Expect plans to go public in the new year.

7. Fogarty Building announcment in the next few days. Expect a change in plans.

8. Preliminary plans for a 180 to 200 foot building next to the Majestic Garage at the location of the old McDonald's.

That's all I know at the moment.

Damn, people are gonna be up all night talking about all this. :lol:

1. Hilton condos on hold until market impact of all the projects under consturction is understood.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Understandable, but unfortunate, as long as it stops being the ugly ass Holiday Inn that it is (i.e. the Hilton reno happens) I'm willing to wait for the towers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Terribly dissappointing, developing this site is vital for making a friendly pedestrian environment between Federal Hill and LaSalle Square.

3.  Metro Lofts - west side of the city between Washington and Westminster along the service road, not at Broadway.  210' to 230' in present design.  Application to Zoning Board in the next 30 to 60 days.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is the one we were speculating going to "The Atwells Parcel" as Duany called it? I'll have to look at a map to see what I think about this location, but seems good.

4.  former public safety - expect two announcements in the coming weeks.  First about the developer second about a project.  Expect two towers in the 150 to 250 range.  This could change.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Gulf Station site being on hold is bad news, but if something finally happens at the Public Safety Complex, that will help.

5.  Grants Block - 239' going to zoning board in the next two months.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One of our members works for Cornish and has been giving us little nuggets about this one.

6.  190 Dyer Street - proposal for 210' to 230' office tower.  Expect plans to go public in the new year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellent news, we stumbled upon a rendering for this site a while back, and everyone thought, "an office building? in Providence?! can't be right!"

This is obviously what has put a kink in Sasaki's first take of the Ship Street Landing park.

7.  Fogarty Building announcment in the next few days.  Expect a change in plans.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A change in plans on this one is good news. Although it could get worse I suppose. :o

8.  Preliminary plans for a 180 to 200 foot building next to the Majestic Garage at the location of the old McDonald's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very very interesting,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for all your updates! :thumbsup:

3.  Metro Lofts - west side of the city between Washington and Westminster along the service road, not at Broadway.  210' to 230' in present design.  Application to Zoning Board in the next 30 to 60 days.

4.  former public safety - expect two announcements in the coming weeks.  First about the developer second about a project.  Expect two towers in the 150 to 250 range.  This could change.

5.  Grants Block - 239' going to zoning board in the next two months.

6.  190 Dyer Street - proposal for 210' to 230' office tower.  Expect plans to go public in the new year.

7.  Fogarty Building announcment in the next few days.  Expect a change in plans.

8.  Preliminary plans for a 180 to 200 foot building next to the Majestic Garage at the location of the old McDonald's. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the update Thom! And welcome...we definitely appreciate your participation on the UP Providence boards.

The Metro Lofts info is particularly interesting...

Thanks for the update Thom! And welcome...we definitely appreciate your participation on the UP Providence boards.

The Metro Lofts info is particularly interesting...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The suspense is killing me!! I would really like to see something with " HEIGHT " built in this city. We need 1 or 2 more buildings other than 110 Westminster to give us a true metro feel to passerbys. Give them a reason to get out and explore..A 200' building will not grab the attention of Rt. 95 travelers..Providence is a much better city but lacks the skyline that Hartford and New Haven have...I'm sorry to say it, but it's true !! BTW...I am not instigating..I know the prov. vs. Hart. thread is over.