Building Height Rank

Perhaps. I just don't want us to end up looking something like this:

100422.jpg

That's Singapore, where the maximum allowable height is 280 meters (919 feet). Consequently, they have 3 buildings that stand exactly that tall. And, predictably, it looks just a wee bit weird -- especially since those 3 buildings are so prominent compared to the other buildings in the city. Which is exactly the situation we would have here (on a much smaller scale).

Both brick and Lone Ranger make valid points. I particularily agree that the "spire" is of litttle value on it's face and can be looked upon as a desperate attempt to create a 520' building. The truth is it will be at 430'.

But, as brick says, with the spire and the Westin 2 the skyline will be saved from a "row of ducks" look; especially if Texron would light something!

Just one 450-500' somewhere near the financial district would be a coup.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Hilton condos on hold until market impact of all the projects under consturction is understood.

2. Proposed tower at the former Gulf Station is a dream at the moment.

3. Metro Lofts - west side of the city between Washington and Westminster along the service road, not at Broadway. 210' to 230' in present design. Application to Zoning Board in the next 30 to 60 days.

4. former public safety - expect two announcements in the coming weeks. First about the developer second about a project. Expect two towers in the 150 to 250 range. This could change.

5. Grants Block - 239' going to zoning board in the next two months.

6. 190 Dyer Street - proposal for 210' to 230' office tower. Expect plans to go public in the new year.

7. Fogarty Building announcment in the next few days. Expect a change in plans.

8. Preliminary plans for a 180 to 200 foot building next to the Majestic Garage at the location of the old McDonald's.

That's all I know at the moment.

Besides this office tower proposal that we expect to hear about sometime this year, is there anything else that anyone knows of as far as proposals go?

Edited by CtownMikey

• 2 weeks later...

Besides this office tower proposal that we expect to hear about sometime this year, is there anything else that anyone knows of as far as proposals go?

There are no new plans at this point. Developers are waiting for the dust to settle and some deals are taking a lot longer to put together then was anticpated. An update on what I said a few months back.

1. Hilton condos No change.

2. Proposed tower at the former Gulf Station No change - a dream at the moment.

3. Metro Lofts - Plans being revised based on comments received. Expect the building to be moved forward and the local streets that were to be abandoned to remain. Height and density will probably drop because of the market. Expect the new building design to be in the 150 to 175 range. -

4. former public safety - WE are negotiating the development agreement. As we get final language expect an announcement. We must sell the property by June 15, so something will go public before then.

5. Grants Block - being redesigned.

6. 190 Dyer Street - Developer has not changed plans and still hopes to start construction in 07 - proposal for 210' to 230' office tower.

7. Fogarty Building Minor renovations expected in the coming months.

8. Sierra Suites - Plans under review. If I thought to bring home the plans I could have posted them. Still in the 180 to 200 foot range next to the Majestic Garage at the location of the old McDonald's.

There are very preliminary discussions about two other buildings, sites undetermined. The first is residential somewhere near Atwells Ave (think it might be the corner of Broadway and the service road) for a residential tower. Diminsions and timing unknown. The federal GSA is looking for a site to build a 14 to 20 story tower. They are rumored to be looking to move out of Boston. The only site that they have looked at is the old Shooter's site. Bought with Federal money by RIDOT and the feds have first option. Hard to believe they'd build an office building there.

The federal GSA is looking for a site to build a 14 to 20 story tower. They are rumored to be looking to move out of Boston. The only site that they have looked at is the old Shooter's site. Bought with Federal money by RIDOT and the feds have first option. Hard to believe they'd build an office building there.

I split the GSA rumour into it's own thread.

The first is residential somewhere near Atwells Ave (think it might be the corner of Broadway and the service road) for a residential tower. Diminsions and timing unknown.

As grotesque as the Dominica Manor building is in form and suburban style setting, I have to say, they are really good neighbours. The sidewalks all around the building (all four sides) are always well cleared during and after snow storms (even before the snow falls their groundskeepers are out salting). They clear the snow from the ramps down to the crosswalks, they clear the snow between the sidewalk and the street at the bus stop, they clear the snow on the little used sidewalks along the Service Road and Federal Street. And as snow melts and refreezes, they are out clearing the resulting ice. When it's not snowing, the sidewalks are kept clean, and their grounds are well maintained. It's the best kept building on Federal Hill.

It would be wonderful to see something built south of the building to integrate it better into the urban streetscape.

I really don't mind the Dominica Manor too much, except of course for its horrible relationship to the street. For some reason I don't find the building that ugly for its time. I like the row of windows going down the middle when they're lit up at night too. Maybe I'm just weird.

I like the row of windows going down the middle when they're lit up at night too. Maybe I'm just weird.

Dominica Manor is my view, I can see the rest of the city kind of poking out behind it, but my view is dominated by Dominica Manor. At night, it's actually kind of neat the way it's lit up, but during the day it's a dog. I have a fantasy of it being painted blue, but I'm sure they don't have money for superfluous paint jobs.

It's the best kept building on Federal Hill.

It would be wonderful to see something built south of the building to integrate it better into the urban streetscape.

Right on both counts. I've long noticed the irony that one of the ugliest residential towers has one of the most immaculately kept grounds. And they (not the city) have a "Welcome to Providence" sign greeting visitors to Federal Hill.

I'd love to see that building reskinned like the Holiday Inn, except they don't have the incentive (or likely the money either).

- Garris

• 1 month later...

This is mostly for my own amusement. :P

I took the scenic route home from work on Saturday: traffic on the Newport Bridge was temporarily stopped, so I pulled a (legal as far as I know :whistling: ) U-ey and drove home taking the East Bay route, which I never do. This took me past the Tower at Carnegie Abbey, still being renovated, a building that towers over everything else in view, as far as the eye can see. Which led me to wonder, what are the tallest buildings in this state outside of Providence? These are just the ones I can get off Emporis:

The Tower at Carnegie Abbey, 220 feet, 17 floors (Portsmouth)

Pawtucket City Hall, 209 feet, 3

Towers East Apartments, ?? feet, 16 floors (Pawtucket)

Fogarty Manor, ?? feet, 15 floors (Pawtucket)

Slater Hill House, ?? feet, 15 floors (Pawtucket)

Knightsville Manor, ?? feet, 13 floors (Cranston)

Arlington Manor, ?? feet, 12 floors (Cranston)

Clyde Tower, ?? feet, 11 floors (West Warwick)

City View Towers, ?? feet, 11 floors (East Providence)

Brook Village Apartments, ?? feet, 11 floors (North Providence)

Citizen's Plaza, ?? feet, 11 floors (Woonsocket)

Kennedy Manor, ?? feet, 10 floors (Woonsocket)

Crepeau Court, ?? feet, 10 floors (Woonsocket)

Park View Manor, ?? feet, 10 floors (Woonsocket)

Saint Germain Manor, ?? feet, 10 floors (Woonsocket)

Forand Manor, ?? feet, 10 floors (Central Falls)

Feel free to note any that I've missed.

How strange. And they made this decision after they did all the work to gut the original building but (carefully) leave the framework intact?

Pretty much so. They're dismanteling it at this time. I hear scuttlebut that the tower will go back up, but who knows, things could change again.

• 1 month later...

Just so we can compare this old list below to the updated one under it..

8 towers in red last year..

428ft. Bank of America ("Superman") Building

410ft. One Financial Plaza ("Hospital Trust Tower")

400+ft. OneTen Westminster

360ft. Second Westin Tower

329ft. Westin Providence

311ft. Textron Tower

300+ft. Hilton Residences at current Holiday Inn

310ft. Power Block Condo

300ft. Power Block Condo

285ft. 50 Kennedy Plaza

235ft. WaterPlace Tower

223ft. The State House

220ft. The Biltmore

216ft. The County Courthouse

213ft. WaterPlace Tower

200ft. Grant's Block

185ft. First Baptist Church

180ft. Brown Sciences Library

175ft. Dominica Manor Federal Hill

Updated 06/01/2006:

15 towers in red as of yesterday!

520ft. OneTen Westminster

428ft. Bank of America ("Superman") Building

410ft. One Financial Plaza ("Hospital Trust Tower")

360ft. Second Westin Tower

340ft. ???

330ft. Hilton Residences at current Holiday Inn On-Hold

329ft. Westin Providence

311ft. Textron Tower

310ft. Power Block Condo (Gulf Station) Indefinitely Delayed

299ft. Atwells Parcel

285ft. 50 Kennedy Plaza

239ft. Grant's Block

235ft. WaterPlace Tower

210-230ft. 190 Dyer Street

205ft. Old Public Safety Complex Tower [1]

223ft. The State House

220ft. The Biltmore

210-230ft. Metro Lofts (West Service Road and Washington) [2]

216ft. The County Courthouse

213ft. WaterPlace Tower

180-200ft. Old McDonald's Location on Fountain Street Preliminary Proposal

190ft. YMCA (Crossroads) Building

185ft. First Baptist Church

180ft. Brown Sciences Library

175ft. Dominica Manor Federal Hill

150ft. Old Public Safety Complex Tower [1] [3]

145ft. Belmonte Castello (Federal Hill)

[1] Possible proposal of 2 towers in the 150 to 250 range.

[2] West Side Route 195 Service Road between Washington and Westminster.

[3] I know there are buildings that rank between Dominica Manor and the 150ft. possible tower at the Old Public Safety Complex, I just don't have a comprehensive list of building heights below 175ft. If anyone does, let me know.

Edited by CtownMikey

well why doesnt the Hilton keep its height and just make it hotel rooms?? and if all of the penthouses in our big 3 condo projects sell out, they can add a few more floors to the hilton to add penthouses. I doubt that the city is over saturated with hotels yet..

well why doesnt the Hilton keep its height and just make it hotel rooms?? and if all of the penthouses in our big 3 condo projects sell out, they can add a few more floors to the hilton to add penthouses. I doubt that the city is over saturated with hotels yet..

I really can't help but wonder how serious they were about building 4 300 foot towers including the Westin 2...

Edited by damus