Smoke-Free Charlotte?

I'm new here so forgive me if this has already been posted.

I've seen some billboards and was wondering what everyone thought. The billboards say something to the effect of "SmokefreeNC.org".

I'm assuming they're going for smoking to be banned in restaurants. Anyway, do you guys know anymore info or think that it'll be passed?

Here's the link to the website.

http://smokefreenc.org/

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will be interesting since a significant portion of the world's ciggies are manufactured right here in the Charlotte area. Yes Charlotte. It is probably the metro's most successful and profitable manufacturing business.

The plant is responsible for 2700 very high paying jobs in the area.

as an ex-smoker i say it's about time. when i smoked - i rarely smoked inside anywhere except a bar. i always felt it was an infringement on a non-smokers rights. i do believe in the freedom to choose whether you want to smoke or not but it should NEVER inconveinence a non-smoker. outlawing smoking in bars will be particularly tough, but if you can't accomodate non-smokers then it should be.

i think that this is a great idea.

I think it will help the health of the whole community, which is why the medical community and cancer groups propose this ordinance.

I think this will actually not a non-starter, as the boomer population is getting older and much more sensitive to smoke. I know my parents and inlaws are all much less tolerant of ambient smoke than before.

This is a good plan, but i'd bet nc politics, rather than charlotte politics will try to stop this from passing.

I hope it passes, though. I'd be more likely to go out to partake if i didn't smell and feel like ass the next morning from the smoke. (yes, the smoke)

Interesting indeed...

I experienced what one could call a "culture shock" during my recent road trip to DC, spending some time in the Carolinas and Virginia. It has been about three years since I have seen smoking sections in restaurants or requested a "non-smoking" table. Florida has had a public smoking ban in public buildings since the 1990s, and most recently a constitutional amendment was passed that banned smoking in restaurants, with smoking only being permitted in bars that are not serving hot food (or in places where food sales make up less than a certain percentage of total sales). When the kitchen closes, usually they start passing out the ashtrays. The initiative passed after years of unsuccessful attempts at getting the Legislature to strengthen the existing statutes. Dining is much more pleasant, since the air was all the same anyway.

I can't see North Carolina or Virginia passing such a ban, given how powerful the tobacco lobby is. A citizen initiative might be the only way to get that done if the people really want it.

I hope this passes, it would make dining a much more pleasent experiance (for me).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm... Am I the only one who thinks that a restaurant or bar owner should have the right to decide this for themselves?

If they want to ostracise smokers/nonsmokers, they should do it as a business decision. If you don't want to be around ciggies, you always have a right not to go there... Why infringe on the proprietor's property rights?

Of course, I thought this too when CA banned smoking a few years back, and I still think it's stupid (though many other states have sinec followed). But CA has far less respect for property rights than NC, from my experience...

MM :sick:

i hear what you are saying mm... i am still borderline in thinking this should be something that isn't legislated yet.

I think the big reason that i think it would be a good idea to pass a law/ordinence, is that most bars and restaurants are small business that must not do anything to lose competitive advantage or just plain competitive survival. Many restaurants would probably prefer to ban smoking, as they'd have fewer illnesses in their employees, etc., but it is impossible for almost any small business to charge ahead against the tide. The benefit of legal rules is that is levels the playing field for business.

Imagine if health inspections for food preparation was left as a business decision.

Imagine if health inspections for food preparation was left as a business decision.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've deamt of that day for a very long time. My dream is for the insurance industry to take over the entire regulatory apparatus of the country. It would at least provide some better market incentives for businesses to clean up their acts: ban smoking and your health insurance premiums go down. Get an A on your health inspection and your liability insurance goes down... Whatcha think?

The benefit of legal rules is that is levels the playing field for business.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Asking for someone else to help "level the playing field" is the first plea of the weak... It's a dog-eat-dog capitalist world out there... whether the legislature like it or not...

"Am I the only one who thinks that a restaurant or bar owner should have the right to decide this for themselves?"

Sure, why not let that same business owner refuse service to minorities, hanicapped people, serve minors large amounts of alcohol, and force their employees to work in dangerous conditions for 3$ on hour?

Business is not allowed free reign over the community. Hopefully soon that will extend to exposing customers to dangerous fumes just because a few people feel like killing themselves.

I've deamt of that day for a very long time. My dream is for the insurance industry to take over the entire regulatory apparatus of the country.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Among the industries that should never be deregulated are insurance, banking, securities, and any other financial services sector. We tried laissez-faire a long time ago and it failed miserably.

Among the industries that should never be deregulated are insurance, banking, securities, and any other financial services sector. We tried laissez-faire a long time ago and it failed miserably.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm... I'd disagree that laissez-faire has ever been attempted in history (government has never once let us alone completely), but that's not the topic here, so I'll stop nagging...

MM, you do have an interesting perspective. And contro-perspectives are key to good conversation...

I think that many places have and had de facto laissez-faire due to lack of enforcement. It is the reason that california because a film capital, as the govt couldn't enforce edison's copyrights in the distant west. It is the reason that there are so many different kinds of things on the internet, especially in the early days. It is the reason almost everyone goes over the speedlimit for most of the time. Etc.

Anyway, the whole reason a ventured a little further into that area, is that when govt enforcement or policy is lacking, people (and thus businesses) tend to do less socially responsible activities. That is okay for people's personal lives, but not good when it endangers others. That is why governments exist...

The insurance idea is good. Perhaps charlotte can go that route... to get NC to allow insurers to assess extra premiums on businesses that allow smoking, just as they do for individuals who do smoke.

• 3 years later...
Article in today's Observer mentions that Rock Hill is on the verge of passing a no-smoking in bars/restaurants ordinance. Pretty ironic that Rock Hill is more progressive than Charlotte on this issue. However there is an effort to enact a statewide ban in NC that will go before the Legislature. I really hope this passes. Any idea if it would extend to the "Private clubs" we have in town that are, in essence, bars? That is another law NC should strike frmo the books.

Well said. People drink alcohol in non smoking bars, and will on occasion drive drunk and injure or kill an innocent person. Should we next ban alcohol from bars? Maybe we should have alcohol free smoking bars??

The issue is about personal choice vs. the nanny state making decisions for you and others. Be careful what you wish for, the incremental erosion of personal rights will not stop at smoking. There are plenty of people who think you should have no right to drink alcohol, eat fatty foods, or own a gun, for example.

You have to draw the line somewhere and let adults make personal lifestyle decisions.

I do not know of any non-smoking bars in Charlotte. I will go to the bar and sometimes will not drink. I will go to socialize with friends. I do rather HATE how no matter what bar I seem to go to, I ALWAYS end up coming home smelling like smoke.

i hope it doesn't pass as well, that is something that should be left up to each establishment to decide. i've never smoked a cigarette in my life and yet i can't wrap my head around how much it bothers other people. i find it only mildly unpleasant *shrug* but easy to ignore in bars and music venues. i do looove shisha though so some more hookah bars in charlotte would be nice.

also, you're in north carolina people!

This will be interesting since a significant portion of the world's ciggies are manufactured right here in the Charlotte area. Yes Charlotte. It is probably the metro's most successful and profitable manufacturing business.

The plant is responsible for 2700 very high paying jobs in the area.

Archived