Bye Bye Madison Lenox

lelandpalmer

Here are some pictures from around 1:00 on Sunday, May 22

madlen017ij.jpg

A crane of destruction and a crane of construction

madlen020mn.jpg

madlen032un.jpg

Disclaimer: I am lazy. The only photo editing I have done on the above pic/s was to add the copyright, resize the image, and shrink the file size. I can photo edit, but I choose to be lazy since these are for informational purposes only. Thank you and enjoy!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I've vented my anger on the destruction of this building already, I'm beginning to cmoplain about other things. The demolition looks so sloppy! It doesn't look like they are using proper safety. Where are the chainlink fences? Why was there so much dust in the air? What abatement procedures were used to remove hazardous materials? Why weren't entire streets closed off when the building in eminent collapse was being knocked down? Couldn't it have taken out neighborhing buildings? Why are the trees in front destroyed? Are the taxpayers going to have to pay for their replacement? What about the sidewalk? Who IS paying for the demolition? If it was done illegally, does the expenses for it have to fall on the taxpayers, or is Ilitch going to pay for it?

It appears collecting a few bricks tomorrow will not be a challenge. Sorry, but a piece of red ribbon does not qualify as a barrier.

Note to self:

NEVER BUY LITTLE CAESAR'S AGAIN!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never was a big fan of Little Caesars anyway. My parents still buy it because there is a location a few blocks from our house. I'm not stopping them though. Whether people buy pizza or not isn't going to change anything. However, I would feel guilty eating it, knowing that the money was going toward someone who did something very wrong. A boycott is difficult. Don't forget the Tigers or the Redwings, or seeing a show at the Fox. I'm still going to watch those teams, and I expect I'll see a performance at the Fox sometime in the future. But I'm not going to Chicago to watch the White Sox or Cubs just because I can't see the Tigers. A boycott would hardly put a dent in his sales. At this point, I'm focusing my attention on other buildings in Detroit that he doesn't own that are also in dire need of renovations. I meantioned at skyscraperpage.com that we still have the MCS, Farwell, Lafayette, and Michigan Theater that need to be saved as well. It's hard to put much faith into them after what the historical commission did, but we are dealing with less powerful people who own them. Ilitch is always going to get his way, because he can apparently have other people go above the law to get what he wants. But forget Foxtown, maybe the rest of Detroit can be even better.

There were people walking right through the demo site on Saturday. They did have a security guard, but he obviously wasn't doing his job.

As far as abatement procedures, the only precaution taken was wetting down the debris with water.

The taxpayers will probably foot the bill for the replacement of the trees, sidewalk, etc. I can only hope that the city will send a bill to Ilitch for the demolition.

There's not much that can happen now that the buildings are gone. The only thing that might happen is if the MDEQ discovers that they were in violation of the Clean Air Act & a few other air quality regulations because of the asbestos. In that case the MDEQ might issue fines.

A brick of the Madison is now my doorstop.

Not to be mean, i just couldn't find any other use for it. I also have one from MCS

I have one from the Freud Building...(last fall):

P1010088_JPG.jpg

I guess I'll have to keep my collection growing (unfortunately).

That is so damn sad! Lets hope the Book-Cadilac is not next.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the Book Cadillac will be just fine. The mayor isnt out to get that one like he was the ML. Hopefully they will find a developer for it soon and Washington Blvd. will have a rebirth like many other parts of the city.

Thats a cool picture Michi. I really like that sky.

From the looks of this, downtown Detroit is going to look a lot like Oklahoma City. I was in Oklahoma City back in the late '80s, and it had a lot of parking lots and very low density. Are we sure this Ilitch guy isn't actually from Phoenix, Arizona?

MrCoffee

From the looks of this, downtown Detroit is going to look a lot like Oklahoma City.  I was in Oklahoma City back in the late '80s, and it had a lot of parking lots and very low density.  Are we sure this Ilitch guy isn't actually from Phoenix, Arizona?

MrCoffee

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What a shame. This could NEVER EVER happen here in Providence where 22% of all properties listed in the National Trust are in this area. It's almost impossible to tear down an historic building here. The Madison-Lenox Hotel could/should have been saved.

What a shame. This could NEVER EVER happen here in Providence where 22% of all properties listed in the National Trust are in this area. It's almost impossible to tear down an historic building here. The Madison-Lenox Hotel could/should have been saved.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK guy, I agree that this is a horrible shame, but if it could have been stopped it would have. This was a strategic maneuver to get rid of the building and it seems to me that most people involved in this thread also regard this as a tragedy. Providence is a long way away from Detroit..

Archived