Bye Bye Madison Lenox

lelandpalmer

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will take some photos tomorrow when I do the PW tour. I don't know if anyone here is going to the M-L rally at 4:30. I would, but I really don't feel like driving an hour each way for the event. The hotel is going to take approximately three weeks to demo. They just did as much initial damage as possible on Wednesday to lessen the chances of saving it.

I could have gone and taken photos of M-L the other day, but the weather sucked horribly and I didn't feel like wasting the gas. The building will be around for a litte longer, so I'll probably catch the tail end shots.

BTW, the wolverine tower was in good condition. It was pretty much a poorhouse when the hotel didn't do so well to the very end. Basically, it probably wouldn't have taken much to turn it into something impressive. But even in the 90's preservation in Detroit was weak.

Thanks for the link. Hopefully Chad will update the photos often so that we can see the "progress" over time. It would be nice if they could just take the whole thing down in one fell swoop so that I don't have watch it die a slow death as they smash the building to bits.

It's nice to know that all that beautiful ornamentation is going into the landfill. If this was any other city, the details would've been saved. But welcome to Detroit, where we thoughtless destroy our history, one building at a time.

Ok, here are a few photos from this afternoon. I spent most of the day watching, so I literally have a minute by minute photo documentation of the demolition. It's pretty cool actually. It'll be a few days before I can process all those though.

IMG_1940.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_2005.jpg

IMG_2018.jpg

IMG_2043.jpg

Nope, the asbestos cloud didn't stop me. I inhaled the stuff in the morning (10:00 AM), again at 12:00, and then from about 3:00 PM until 7:00 PM. I'm not dead yet. Wait until I'm about 80 and have asbestosis, then ask me if exploring abandoned buildings and sitting in clouds of dust for hours on end was a good idea. The dust did get very bad at times. Whenever they'd remove a large section of floors, a big black dust cloud would come rolling towards the bystanders.

An absolute trajedy. To lose such potential in a time and place where I think it was prime to develop is not only confusing to me, but it also brings about rage. Detroit just looks clueless at times on things that should not be that hard.

Thanks for the pictures allan, I really appreciate your contributions to the forum.

Well, we just got from downtown, and most of the Lennox was gone by 1:00. At the rate they were going, it's nothing but a pile of rubble. Less then 3 days to take it all down! When's the last time you've seen something happen this quick in Detroit? They were even working on a Saturday and Sunday, no doubt at time and a half and double time, respectively. Who was footing the bill for that? Can they still say with a straight face that this was done because the building was in "emminent collapse"

I'll try to post soon.

Archived