SouthPark neighborhood Projects

A2

This is the Pinnacle building that someone asked about on page 1.

pinnacle.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks I could not find a picture to paste anywhere on the web. Where did you get it???

I think it is a nice compliment for the area. :)

aerial2.jpg

I could easily see Fairview looking like this 20 years down the road. This is an Aerial of Buckhead looking down Peachtree. It will not develop linear though, just because of the way SP is laid out.

Edited by A219724

Thanks I could not find a picture to paste anywhere on the web. Where did you get it???

I think it is a nice compliment for the area.

It was on The Keith Corporations website. I like it too, it should blend in nicely.

Also happening in Southpark:

Piedmont Town Center

http://www.piedmonttowncenter.com

Morrison Place

http://www.grubbproperties.com

Edited by eastsider

I like this aerial of SP.

You can see the potential when you look at it from this angle.

This picture is actually a few months old and does not show a lot of developments that have started or that have yet to start.

B)

www.carolinaphoto.com/southpark/southpark.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's looking south though -- and what you can't see thru the trees are neighborhoods that are currently there.

Just a head's up. The corner where there is to be a potential high rise in SP is in today's Biz Journal. Check it out. It has to have some height, it will be over 150 apartments above office/retail on the side where the Christmas Tree lighting takes place each year. There won't be much land after Dillard's Parking Lot so it has to go verticle.

Just 4-5 stories....there are two buildings in this plan and they are very large footprints. Look at 5th and Poplar, it is 300+ units and is only 8 stories at the highest point.

Miesian Corner's saw the model already on this one. While it's won't be a high-rise, it is very urban in context (at least by SP standards).

First Off, I appreciate the feedback. I grew up in Atlanta and saw Buckhead 20 years ago. I agree that it does not compare to the current day Buckhead. However, I am not trying to claim that it is anything close. I am simply suggesting similarities. And on a side note, Buckhead was much, much smaller in the 70's and 80's. I was there I know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What do you mean Buckhead was smaller? In population? I don't know. Buckhead doesn't look much different than it did in those days. Sure, there are more skyscrapers, but it hasn't changed that much. The skyscrapers just replaced buildings that were already there. (Remember all the office buildings right around Lenox Mall? They're all gone... :( )The area size is definitely the same, too. DT Buckhead hasn't at all increased in size since those days. Anyway, please explain a bit further. Thanks.

As for SouthPark, it reminds me more of the area around Perimeter mall. There are a lot of similar size structures and developments. The residential area is similar, too. Myers Park though is similar to reisdential neighborhoods in Buckhead like Tuxedo Park.

Just a head's up. The corner where there is to be a potential high rise in SP is in today's Biz Journal. Check it out. It has to have some height, it will be over 150 apartments above office/retail on the side where the Christmas Tree lighting takes place each year. There won't be much land after Dillard's Parking Lot so it has to go verticle.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is a link to that Business Journal article http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stori.../23/story2.html

Supposedly there is a Hyatt hotel in South Park.  Does anyone have any info on this? Also, what other hotels could come to South Park, or other stores that need to come to South Park?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah there's a Hyatt there - it's been there since 1989.

Heres an image:

http://meckcama.co.mecklenburg.nc.us/mvide...17/PH093603.JPG

Heres an aerial:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=5501+Carnegi...10664&t=k&hl=en

Supposedly there is a Hyatt hotel in South Park.  Does anyone have any info on this? Also, what other hotels could come to South Park, or other stores that need to come to South Park?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hyatt is at the corner of Barclay Downs Drive and Carnegie Blvd.

http://charlotte.hyatt.com/property/index.jhtml

I think SouthPark needs Crate & Barrel, Ross-Simons, Ralph Lauren and Salvatore Ferragamo, but that's just me.

Thanks for the info StevenRocks and cantnot. I may have to pay another visit to Charlotte over the summer. As for stores, personally I would like to see more upscale stores at and around South Park, much like Lennox mall has in Buckhead. In my opinion, I think South Park needs a Polo store, Crate & Barrel, something along the lines of a Bloomingdales, an Orvis store, and maybe, just hoping for a Saks b/c it seems a little surprising that Charlotte does not have one yet, and the Triangle does.

I'm gonna have to agree with qirky....I don't think SouthPark is on the same scale as Buckhead. Its more comparable to the Perimeter Mall area rather than Buckhead. With the size and density of Buckhead alone, SouthPark could very well be a section of Buckhead.

But nonetheless, with the way this area has been progressively changing over the years....SouthPark is bound to become Charlotte's premier area of upscale living and entertainment destination that its starting to become now.

I'm gonna have to agree with qirky....I don't think SouthPark is on the same scale as Buckhead. Its more comparable to the Perimeter Mall area rather than Buckhead. With the size and density of Buckhead alone, SouthPark could very well be a section of Buckhead.

But nonetheless, with the way this area has been progressively changing over the years....SouthPark is bound to become Charlotte's premier area of upscale living and entertainment destination that its starting to become now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think people tend to limit Buckhead to the DT area. They sometimes forget about the outlying areas that are -- have always been -- part of the Buckhead area. Buckhead extends to Midtown on the south, Vinings on the west, Sandy Springs on the north and Chamblee to the east. Or seomthing like that. It's much larger than people tend to think.

I think SP will continue to grow and eventually be a premier upscale area, but like Buckhead in Atlanta they'll get a run for their money by other areas in Charlotte. It would be a shame anyway to have all the best dining, shopping and living in one area. ;)

I think SP will continue to grow and eventually be a premier upscale area, but like Buckhead in Atlanta they'll get a run for their money by other areas in Charlotte. It would be a shame anyway to have all the best dining, shopping and living in one area. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That of course is in the eyes of the beholder. I don't think that SouthPark has any of that now. Sure you can spend a lot of money there, but that usually does not translate to "best". There is nothing interesting enough to me in SouthPark to convince me to go there in many years.

That of course is in the eyes of the beholder.  I don't think that SouthPark has any of that now.  Sure you can spend a lot of money there, but that usually does not translate to "best".  There is nothing interesting enough to me in SouthPark to convince me to go there in many years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

monsoon, stop being grouchy all the time! :P Of course it's in the eyes of the beholder. I've made my feelings about SP known in the past. I was just trying to be nice! Geez. :)

monsoon, stop being grouchy all the time!  :P Of course it's in the eyes of the beholder. I've made my feelings about SP known in the past. I was just trying to be nice! Geez.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok Ok I will get off my soapbox about suburban mall development. (for today :P )