SouthPark neighborhood Projects

A2

17 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

Ha!!  So the 400 ( or so) apartment dwellers will be trying to get out while several more hundred will be trying to drive into this complex, all from Park South Drive? during morning rush hour?  This is destined to be a cluster f**k of epic proportions.    

Piedmont Row Dr (and Barclay Down to a lesser extent) would/could be used as an entrance/exit.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AP3 said:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article85494357.html

Anyone know anything about this?  I feel like this came under the radar...seems to help tie in with the recent study on making the area more pedestrian friendly.  I like it.

The other day I was talking with a fellow poster about my desire to bulldoze southpark and build something closer to North Hills in Raleigh. With that said I'd much rather build up the out parcels around it and make the rest of it more pedestrian friendly somehow. Also on a side note, it irks me that SouthPark and Park Rd area get better designed buildings than uptown, Noda, Plaza Midwood and South End

3 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Something something, per capita income... older more conservative population, etc...

Understood. Cheaper property values don't hurt. 

15 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

The other day I was talking with a fellow poster about my desire to bulldoze southpark and build something closer to North Hills in Raleigh. With that said I'd much rather build up the out parcels around it and make the rest of it more pedestrian friendly somehow. Also on a side note, it irks me that SouthPark and Park Rd area get better designed buildings than uptown, Noda, Plaza Midwood and South End

I have recently had the opposite conversation... Someone asked me why all the Buildings in SouthPark are done in such an awfully bland architecture.  I think NeoClassical Retail Beige EIFS chic was the term used to describe.   Oh yeah and cupola gotta have a copula if you are in veiwshed of the Fairveiw and Sharon intersection

• Like 2

1 hour ago, archiham04 said:

I have recently had the opposite conversation... Someone asked me why all the Buildings in SouthPark are done in such an awfully bland architecture.  I think NeoClassical Retail Beige EIFS chic was the term used to describe.   Oh yeah and cupola gotta have a copula if you are in veiwshed of the Fairveiw and Sharon intersection

Hah, I wasn't including the Capital Towers in the conversation of Architecture. They are Charlcitecture 

On 6/24/2016 at 0:16 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Hah, I wasn't including the Capital Towers in the conversation of Architecture. They are Charlcitecture 

Every time someone mentions capitol towers all I can think of is this

CjkiqweWkAA96HR.jpg

Edited by Crown
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, RaleighHeelsfan said:

Whatever happened to the starter of this thread? A2, aka doom and gloom? Is he buried away in a fall out shelter or something??? lol

Oh man, if any of us had just listened to him pre-recession. Oh man, I'd be so much better off right now.

4 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Oh man, if any of us had just listened to him pre-recession. Oh man, I'd be so much better off right now.

I had just started lurking on the Charlotte boards around the time A2 was predicting everything. I remember that well. Totally agree we'd be better off. 

53 minutes ago, Prodev said:

Completely under the radar, but Liberty Southpark plans were just approved. It's the site behind the two office buildings on Fairview between Piedmont Row & Barclay Downs Drive. The approved plans contain 75,000 SF of retail with 200 apartments above that will front the two existing parking decks and then a 10 & 14 story (!) CCRC that will have two phases and total another 444 units. There's also a 5-story medical office building that's 110,000 SF. 

This is where Target was rumored in 2007, right? Where Golds Gym was back in the early 2000s?

9 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

I believe so yes.  It was to be the lot directly behind where Barclay downs dead ended if I remember correctly.

Then that went WAY Under the radar. I remember mention of it a while back.

They have leased over 180.000 sq ft in the first Capitol Towers leaving about 58,000 sq ft more to lease and only some of these tenants have been announced.  I think they 2nd tower is being rushed to get it opened as the leasing market is hot. 

• Like 1

On July 1, 2016 at 5:25 PM, KJHburg said:

They have leased over 180.000 sq ft in the first Capitol Towers leaving about 58,000 sq ft more to lease and only some of these tenants have been announced.  I think they 2nd tower is being rushed to get it opened as the leasing market is hot. 

I wouldn't say it is being rushed anymore than the first. It appears to me it is going up at the same speed as the first...quickly. I work on Carnegie so I get to see its progress every day. I think the first one seemed longer because we waited forever for the big parking deck to be finished but once it was, the first tower flew up

• Like 1

On 6/23/2016 at 6:34 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

The other day I was talking with a fellow poster about my desire to bulldoze southpark and build something closer to North Hills in Raleigh. With that said I'd much rather build up the out parcels around it and make the rest of it more pedestrian friendly somehow. 

North Hills Mall was a dark dungeon and getting left in the dust as Crabtree expanded and went more upscale. (Not Southpark upscale).  Southpark Mall isn't remotely in the condition that North Hills was, so this idea is more than silly.

I do love walkable, urban, mixed-use developments like Rockville Town Center(Square) in MD and Birkdale Village in Huntersville, NC.  A better place for something like this would be to bulldoze Cary Towne Center Mall in Cary, NC for something like this. 

• Like 2