SouthPark neighborhood Projects

A2

On 1/15/2017 at 6:28 PM, J-Rob said:

A month or so ago when I was driving down Providence Road across from Strawberry Hill I was surprised to see how far along the Northwood Ravin project is, and more specifically to see how much land is being redeveloped after it was cleared (much more land than it looks like in the picture below).  Here is a summary in picture form of what was there, the current state of the cleared land, and what the project is rendered to eventually look like at the corner of Fairview and Providence

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article110681752.html

Providence Road NWR.jpg

Since those dumpy apartments have been torn down, the property values and demand at The Cloisters neighborhood directly next door have shot way up.  My wife's boss lives in there and they are now getting multiple unsolicited offers to buy their house.

On the Strawberry Hill side, demolition of the apartments mostly complete.  This has been a looong time coming.  While we were in between buying/selling our house in 2013, we rented one of the designated to be torn down apartments as they would only do short term leases (3 months in our case) because they didn't when they were going to start demo.  3.5 years later...it finally started.   Construction fence is also up for the lot clearing for the new BBT.  They plan to build the new bank and then demo the existing one to add a 3 building unit on the corner.  

Once Levine starts (hahaha) his mixed use at the corner, this is going to be one transformed area!  Can't believe it took that long however. For such a high profile intersection a few miles from SouthPark, 3 corners of cheap apartments blew my mind. That old Circle K they tore down would have looked at home in Hidden Valley. 

On 1/25/2017 at 8:08 AM, InSouthPark said:

^^ That's an odd space for 131 Main.  The Capital Towers has a restaurant space right behind their opened tower that has a much better location and visibility.  Rent must much cheaper in that spot (or easier to burn down in case of downturn). :tw_grimace:

Or maybe just easier to burn down period...ba dum da.

^Nice! Thanks for the pics!

So, I'm not very familiar with South Park area, what is the reason all SP development has such great architecture (generally)? I assume it's just because the  perceived vibe of the area requires a certain "classiness" to it to maintain appearances? Or is it because the high rents/leases allow much better materials? Or is it both?

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

^Nice! Thanks for the pics!

So, I'm not very familiar with South Park area, what is the reason all SP development has such great architecture (generally)? I assume it's just because the  perceived vibe of the area requires a certain "classiness" to it to maintain appearances? Or is it because the high rents/leases allow much better materials? Or is it both?

Both SouthPark is the highest cost office space outside of Uptown and Midtown. The apartments there tend to be expensive due to its desirability and Lincoln Harris who is doing the new Charlotte Observer tower likes very classical designs. That all brick dual branded hotel looks great and fits into the SouthPark look. 

Here is the link to Capitol Towers http://capitoltowers.com/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My SouthPark tour today and I like the twin domes of the Capitol Towers. 

DSCN0004.JPG

DSCN0006.JPG

DSCN0007.JPG

DSCN0008.JPG

DSCN0012.JPG

8 story Encore Apartment tower across from SouthPark's Symphony Park. I actually think this turned out pretty good. Very classic but this is SouthPark. 

DSCN0005.JPG

New 2 story Starbucks finally underway and across the street the dual brand Homewood Suites and Hilton Garden Inn 

DSCN0018.JPG

DSCN0019.JPG

DSCN0020.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

My SouthPark tour today and I like the twin domes of the Capitol Towers. 

DSCN0004.JPG

DSCN0006.JPG

DSCN0007.JPG

DSCN0008.JPG

DSCN0012.JPG

8 story Encore Apartment tower across from SouthPark's Symphony Park. I actually think this turned out pretty good. Very classic but this is SouthPark. 

DSCN0005.JPG

New 2 story Starbucks finally underway and across the street the dual brand Homewood Suites and Hilton Garden Inn 

DSCN0018.JPG

DSCN0019.JPG

DSCN0020.JPG

Nice pics. The twin domes of the Capitol Towers remind me of something. I can't quite put my finger on what it is... ha ha ha!

I mean it's so obvious. We know where the architects' minds were at when they came up with that design.

Edited by NCMike1990
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Wow, that elevation is vile. That may sincerely be one of the ugliest buildings I've seen built in Charlotte in a while.

Are we looking at the same building? Sure it's not the most incredible building but it's not ugly, it's just a more conservative design that fits the area well. Build up some more density and it fits right in. But I guess to each their own.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

Are we looking at the same building? Sure it's not the most incredible building but it's not ugly, it's just a more conservative design that fits the area well. Build up some more density and it fits right in. But I guess to each their own.

It's really horribly done conservative design. The overall proportions are awkward, there's way, way too much glazing for that wall, there wasn't even an attempt at detailing those silly cupolas, and I'm pretty sure no one had heard the word "rhythm" as applied to traditional design.

If putting tan brick and a pitched roof on a building is all you need to fit into South Park, then I'm working way too hard.

3 hours ago, tozmervo said:

It's really horribly done conservative design. The overall proportions are awkward, there's way, way too much glazing for that wall, there wasn't even an attempt at detailing those silly cupolas, and I'm pretty sure no one had heard the word "rhythm" as applied to traditional design.

If putting tan brick and a pitched roof on a building is all you need to fit into South Park, then I'm working way too hard.

It looks like a giant version of an off highway hotel, but it could be worse, at least it's not Charlotte Beige. I do agree about the detailing, they could've gone with a bit higher quality work in that regard, but I personally wouldn't call it ugly, but once again, to each their own. I wonder if this was designed specifically for Southpark or if its a template design that's been used before in other areas. I would definitely be more disappointed if it was custom designed versus "cookie cutter."

FYI - it sounds like the redevelopment of the Sharon United Methodist parcel is still on and coming soon. I gather there were delays related to deed restrictions and the on-site cell phone tower, but it sounded like the momentum is good for work to start later this year. (sorry, no access to updated plans/images, just that info :) )

• Like 2

They have a countdown sign out front on both Morrison and Sharon, which I believe is down to 3 weeks.  It says something like, "Only 3 weeks left to worship at the Ski Slope".

In case you need a refresher:

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/04/more-details-on-mixed-use-project-planned-for.html

2017-03-09_10-37-16.jpg.cf22c7aa53793686eac7a7e5edb3e478.jpg

Edited by J-Rob
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, JBS said:

reminds me of these...they even have nipples.

sanonofre.jpg

sanonofre2.jpg

We call those $H!T T!T$ if its for waste water treatment, like the ones in Greenpoint Brooklyn are for.

Again #WhyImNotAModerator #OffTopic

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a summary of the Southpark area projects by Business Journal however the list did not include Lendingtree's new office and renovation and expansion.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/03/22/whats-the-status-on-southpark-new-construction.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=scroll&ed=2017-03-22&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1490211971&j=77720291

• Like 3