SouthPark neighborhood Projects

A2

3 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

Church is still in the plan. If you look closely at above picture two, you can see it as gray building.  It will basically be hidden from Morrison.

Thank you.

I was looking for it, but my eyes glazed over per the second part of my post. A quirky slope, a well-to-do neighborhood.....I was hoping for more.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2017 at 11:34 AM, Cadi40 said:

I really like it. SouthPark and Ballantyne are quickly becoming the 'Buckhead' Areas of Charlotte.

But Buckhead has a MARTA station.  Whenever I'm in Charlotte around the SouthPark area it seems like a traffic nightmare.  It's such an odd location for such built-up area.  In most cities, big retail districts like SouthPark are close to a freeway, so there's easy access in and out.  But with SouthPark, you have to drive through miles of residential areas, through lots of traffic lights or stops to get there.  This seems like a logical area for the city to include in its light rail and trolley transit plan.  Perhaps they could widen Tyvola/Fairview and run a light rail or trolley from the Blue Line Tyvola station into SouthPark.  Has there ever been any discussion of getting rapid transit trains into SouthPark area?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Maybe y’all should go visit Buckhead some time. SP and Ballantyne are not even close to what Buckhead is. 

not to mention Atlanta has its own Ballantyne, Perimeter/Sandy Sprints. 

48 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That’s true.   Buckhead is much more urban.  Its skyline is about as big as Uptown’s, if not bigger.   That being said, I would not want tall buildings in Southpark.

Buckhead definitely doesn't have a skyline the size of uptowns, anywhere close to it tbh by sq footage, height, any metric other than residential units. 

Edited by Guest

^^^ Buckhead is more Tysons Corner than SouthPark and I hope the Southpark area never gets that way nor do I think it will.  Redevelopment like the new Childress Klein project at the Sharon "skislope" church is the wave of the future.  Remember Phillips Place won rezoning last year to increase density.  Then you have Liberty Southpark the midrise senior living project.  Plus you have the apartment project on Sharon and Colony to be redeveloped sometime in the future.  Does any one have an update on that one?  

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Plus you have the apartment project on Sharon and Colony to be redeveloped sometime in the future.  Does any one have an update on that one?  

Its extremely complicated endeavor. One of many the business journalists in this town is working on a story I'm pretty sure.  

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

not to mention Atlanta has its own Ballantyne, Perimeter/Sandy Sprints. 

Buckhead definitely doesn't have a skyline the size of uptowns, anywhere close to it tbh by sq footage, height, any metric other than residential units. 

It looks comparable to Uptown to me.

7B974C1B-66FD-4DC6-A8E1-F500282A8E88.jpeg

AD8D3A3A-A63C-456B-B7C6-7A5183F5616D.jpeg

E3031B5E-4351-4155-B661-1A8E65018109.jpeg

Okay here are the stats all from JLL on the office market 4Q 2107

Uptown Charlotte 18,500,000 sq ft office space plus 850,000 more underway with Legacy 

Downtown ATL 15,000,000 sq ft   60,000 sq ft underway 

Buckhead ATL  19,200,000 sq ft   Zero new space underway

SouthPark  4,300,000 sq ft

Midtown ATL 17,775,000 with 1.8 million sq ft underway

Even those in ATL would not consider Buckhead 'downtown"  no civic uses such as arts facilities, sports stadiums, convention centers  etc

ATL office market is the largest by far in Southeast at 145,000,000 sq ft and Charlotte  has 50,000,000 sq ft  but that being said Uptown Charlotte has a HUGE percentage in uptown versus ATL 36.4% vs. downtown ATL and Midtown ATL put together is just 22.6%   

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Hunted said:

Whoever made the Buckhead to Southpark comparison surely pulled that out of their ass. Ridiculous.

people have been comparing it for well over a decade.

^^^ in all fairness Southpark and Buckhead are both dominated by a huge upscale A+ mall, surrounded by office towers and residential.  Yes  Buckhead is just much bigger but believe me I like the Southpark area much better.  Traffic? drive down Peachtree St NW any time of the day see how congested it is.   Hows  this Southpark has more office space than downtown Raleigh at 3.89 million sq ft. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Synopsis101 said:

Not at all.

People have to remember Buckhead's tallest is around Hearst Tower's height, and all the buildings are a whole lot less girthy than Charlotte's Bank Buildings.

Buckhead is not near as dense as Uptown charlotte. It doesn’t feel as urban as Southpark in my opinion.  I think because Southpark is surrounded by heavy residential. However, buckhead is far ahead of Southpark obviously in office space and height. I think the comparison comes when people try to name Charlotte’s second skyline- which would be Southpark.  While it is a “second skyline” that’s really about the only comparible thing.

• Like 3

Changing the subject but in the Southpark area a plan has resurfaced for once was derided LOL as Dee Dee's Wetland Park at the corner of Park Rd and Gleneagles Rd.  Hill Partners according the Business Journal is shopping space in there and they seem to have some tenants on board.  

New to market like these   Cooper’s Hawk Winery and Restaurants, Bibibop Asian Grill and J. Alexanders other all ready in Charlotte or coming soon  like Chopt, Nekter and The El Felix.

Retailers listed include Amazon Books, Fleet Feet, Bluemercury and Lori & Lulu and I saw LL Bean with a 2 story store and a "luxury" movie theater me thinks could be Alama Drafthouse which is expanding in NC but not sure.   Plus like a 11 story hotel.    This spot has been vacated for 15 years and past plans had a Ritz Carlton and Saks 5th Avenue.  A grocery store.  So who knows what to think of this plan?  But something is afoot again.  Here is the subscriber article 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/03/06/new-life-for-harris-landsquail-hollow-mixed-use.html?ana=e_clt_bn_newsalert&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1520372103&j=80356301

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1