SouthPark neighborhood Projects

A2

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone has read Doug Smith's article, but it looks like Charlotte is going to lose a BIG player. HSBC is moving its Mortgage Operations to Lancaster county in SC. This SUCKS !!! We will lose almost 500 jobs out of the deal. :angry:

This frustrates the heck out of me as Charlotte seems to let a lot of companies just waltz right out the door. I think we need stronger retention and recruiting at the city and chamber level. Tax Incentives would not be a bad idea either. The article touches on this a little.

One other point that is worth noting.When companies move into neighboring towns and suburbs it creates S-P-R-A-W-L. ATLANTA here we come.

One would think we would want to avoid this at all cost, but it sure seems city leaders don't seem to care. C'mon guys get it together.

GEEEEEZ !!! ;)

Article;

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/bus...th/12019927.htm

Edited by A219724

I wonder how this will affect the SP office vacancies. With 460+ moving out of some serious space and Piedmont Town Center ready to open its doors, I can't imagine the vacancy numbers being that Great. Atlrvr, any ideas on what the current Vacancy rates are in that sub-market??? Just curious.

A2

This frustrates the heck out of me as Charlotte seems to let a lot of companies just waltz right out the door. I think we need stronger retention and recruiting at the city and chamber level. Tax Incentives would not be a bad idea either. The article touches on this a little.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Charlotte does offer incentives. Anytime a company even MENTIONS the possibility of moving elsewhere, the Council offers them tons of dollars in tax breaks. There is usually an article in the Observer about once a year. There was an anti-incentive article back in April. Usually, the company has no intention of moving, they just try and stir up some fears and profit from the chicken little syndrome that occurs.

I wonder how this will affect the SP office vacancies. With 460+ moving out of some serious space and Piedmont Town Center ready to open its doors, I can't imagine the vacancy numbers being that Great. Atlrvr, any ideas on what the current Vacancy rates are in that sub-market??? Just curious.

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A2.....I did a little digging, and found that the first quarter SP vacancy rate was 14%......they will vacate about 100,000 Sq. Ft. from one of the Fairview Center towers.....This will bump vacancies up to about 16.7% for that submarket.

The only positive is that the building that are leaving is the easiest one to fill, and the new owners did a superb job filling the vacancies created by J.A. Jones when they went belly-up last year.

A2.....I did a little digging, and found that the first quarter SP vacancy rate was 14%......they will vacate about 100,000 Sq. Ft. from one of the Fairview Center towers.....This will bump vacancies up to about 16.7% for that submarket. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:o

not pretty, not pretty at all.

A2

Is it fair to set a height limit at SouthPark?. For one thing, it's not likely that any really tall buildings will built in that area because it's not finanicially lucrative. Another thing is that the buliding uses are fairly well separated in the area, and, say, a 30 story building in the middle of an office-oriented district wouldn't be that overwhelming.

• 1 month later...

Question guys. In the CBJ last week the ad for the Morrison lofts was quite interesting. It states that on the site they are going to incorporate both Mid and High rise dwellings. I live right accross from the project and see it every day. It certainly has the space for this. Any ideas on this. I thought it was just going to be a 2 acre park with shops and residences similar to Phillips Place. But I guess I was underestimating the scope of the project. Anyone care to comment ??? I am still going to call today to inquire. (on a side note they mentioned the units would range between 500K to 2.5M for the mid and high rise units. The phase one units, "The Lofts @ Morrison". will be much more reasonable. They are almost totally completed)

A2

Ok I just called. Here is the scoop. THe high rise will be roughly 10 stories (possible a little taller, if pre sales do well). The high rise component will go where the old Park South apartments are at. The high rise units will be for sale. The mid rise units will be for rent. This is a pretty exciting project all in all. The area already has a hig rise. I am not sure but I think it is 15-18 stories for a retirement home (I could be wrong about its usage), but none the less, SP is definately getting a more Urban Feel. Right now SP is exploding and already has more Class A office space than many tier two cities CBD's. From the last stats I have seen there is more Class A office space in SP than all of Downtown Raleigh's CBD. That is quite impressive when you think about it. B)

A2

Edited by A219724

Under 20 stories probably.....they could do something to Metropolis in Atlanta which is twin connected towers......I'm not really sure where they could go though.....something would probably be torn down.....one of the gas stations on either side of Sharon at Fairview perhaps? The burger king and old Allen Tate building?

Both of those sites could only accomodate 1 tower though.

Edited by atlrvr

It would seem to me the residents of Morrocroft would do a lot of squawking if someone tried to put too tall a tower at those locations.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

so far the Morrison Village developers have stated there has not been huge opposition to their proposal of a 10 story complex. I know it is not 20, but it sounds like the residents don't mind if it stays under that critical number of 18-20 stories or so. I asked a guy named Randy about that earlier today in their sales office, and he mentioned that the oposition has been extremely limited with their development as well as other around the bend (I think he was referring to the Village at SP) But I have to stress that none of the projects are extremely tall. At 10 stories, I would say that the building would be hardly visable from afar. So neighborhoods still have their quaint neighborhood feel without a steel and glass tower rising out of their Backyard. If we breach the 20 story mark then I agree with you MB, WATCH OUT !!! :w00t: The developer will be burned at the stake. :P

A2